Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

You beat me to it. I remember the stage set up during the "Load" tour, and when I read about it in Kerrang, I thought "How the f**k are they gonna fit THAT into the Point"?? All they'd have to do is, reduce the capacity by a few hundred and away ya go!

Huge production, it was a bit of a squeeze in there alright. And they did their encores with just a few '100w bulbs', after the burning roadie & collapsing lighting rig... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

peter1892 wrote: »
    Huge production, it was a bit of a squeeze in there alright. And they did their encores with just a few '100w bulbs', after the burning roadie & collapsing lighting rig... :D

Yeah, that was excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

The good old days,pre-internet and half the people at the show had no idea WTF was going on!:D

lord lucan wrote: »
    The good old days,pre-internet and half the people at the show had no idea WTF was going on!:D

Me included!! I was in the disabled viewing platform(near enough to the stage), and I could overhear Hetfield shouting "Get the **** down. Now!!!!!" Priceless.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Me included!! I was in the disabled viewing platform(near enough to the stage), and I could overhear Hetfield shouting "Get the **** down. Now!!!!!" Priceless.

There was people leaving and everything! I would have prob left too only the sound desk was behind me and yer man on the desk was sitting there as if he was sitting in Mass! Figured it was part of the act then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

Wow, was Lars actually using his Double Bass in that song?!

Anywho, i remember that before the last Marley Park gig everyone thought it was going to be in the O2 so i wouldn't hold out too much hope....

I hope it is though, i haven't gone to the last 2 gigs because i'd be on my own and from all accounts Marley is a bit out of the way....

Edit to say that they've announced a Belfast date on 11th May so be expecting a date close to then i guess!

We can only hope...........!?

faceman wrote: »
    There was people leaving and everything! I would have prob left too only the sound desk was behind me and yer man on the desk was sitting there as if he was sitting in Mass! Figured it was part of the act then!

Quite a few around me left that night. The gig reviews in Kerrang/Metal Hammer didn't mention the "theatrics" at the end,i'd assume they were politely asked by band management not to. It looks corny now watching it on Cunning Stunts but it was a good bit of craic at the time!:D

Degag wrote: »
    Wow, was Lars actually using his Double Bass in that song?!

Anywho, i remember that before the last Marley Park gig everyone thought it was going to be in the O2 so i wouldn't hold out too much hope....

I hope it is though, i haven't gone to the last 2 gigs because i'd be on my own and from all accounts Marley is a bit out of the way....

Edit to say that they've announced a Belfast date on 11th May so be expecting a date close to then i guess!

Rang the Sound Cellar in Dublin today, and was told to ring back tomorrow, as they may have news on a Dublin gig....?

Rang the Sound Cellar in Dublin today, and was told to ring back tomorrow, as they may have news on a Dublin gig....?

Degag, I emphasise the word "may"! They didn't confirm or deny anything!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

Degag, I emphasise the word "may"! They didn't confirm or deny anything!?

Lol, i know... i wasn't going out booking plane and hotel tickets or anything!:p

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Just booked my tickets for Belfast. If they announce a Dublin gig, I'll be going there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I remember it well. I was at the point in 92 as well, and preferred the 96 gig. Though, COC played a brilliant warm up show. f**king savage...

I thought the burning roadie was a bit hamish.....

seachto7 wrote: »
    I remember it well. I was at the point in 92 as well, and preferred the 96 gig. Though, COC played a brilliant warm up show. f**king savage...

I thought the burning roadie was a bit hamish.....

Nah it was brilliant. He was brought off on the stretcher right in front of me and he was lying there doing the "horns" when being wheeled away!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

feylya wrote: »
    Just booked my tickets for Belfast. If they announce a Dublin gig, I'll be going there too.

there's me in another thread just after saying if anything else comes up before Chrimbo I wont be able to afford it......and bang - of course I'll head if an indoor Dublin date is announced.........didn't want to take the risk of missing the Belfast gig waiting on a Dublin announcement.....we'll see if it happens anyway.......

Hell Yeah,same here!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

has everyone heard Beatallica? sure, parodies of this most lauded group are plentiful n anyone that sounds remotely like james sends me into convulsions of laughter.. -but Beatallica fused the two most popular groups in history's material to wittier effect than most

here is.. Hero Of The Daytripper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iERF0AP6mws

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

First started listening to Metallica when I was like 9 or 10. My brother had a taped version of the Black album. (Pirating from a young age :D)

I had been listening to Nirvana, RHCP, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam etc. I just lumped Metallica is with them and started writing their logo on my copies.

Then I drifted away from rock\metal as a typical teen girl. At 17 I descovered Load and kind of eased myself back into Metallica. It's a good rock album. My brother gave me the Kill Em All casette, I was blown away by the speed on Whiplash and the fact that they were so young and so amazing.

I was never keen on AJFA because it's was so hollow and too heavy. I was disturbed by the One video too, left quite the impression on me!

Reload is ok I guess. Not memorable. St. Anger is useless. So is Death Magnetic.

Ride The Lightning is my favourite Metallica album because some of MoP is just too fast, heavy and unmelodic. I didn't like that they played it all during the anniversary concert in RDS. It was just to much.

By 18 I was a fully fledged, pink haired metal head (thanks metallica!). I recorded all the Metallica videos and live shows off MTV. My favourite is a live performance of Garage Inc. (Roseland Ballroom NYC) That's one of my must-have albums. First time I heard Sabra Cadabra. Loved it (Hadn't ever heard the Sabbath version haha). I had all the Metallica albums at this stage and was obsessed.

First saw Metallica in 2003 RDS. Then again 2004, 2006 and 2009. I won't be going again because there's a sameness each year. I love their stage presence and crowd interaction . I love that I know Hetfield will shout "Oh yea..", he'll shout "Gimme an M, gimme an E gimme FUEL GIMME FIRE...", he'll sing "Scanning the scene out in DUBLIN tonight"
    We'll all sing along to the guitar solos and shout DIE DIE with out fists in the air. We'll all dress up like the black army in layers of Metalllica merchandise.

*nostalgia*

That's the thing about Metallica. They're comfortable and familiar and you'll always go back to them. I'm a Guitar Hero fanatic and the Metallica version is just perfect metal fun. I'm 25 now hahah. I think they're over rated money grabbers that peaked a long time ago but I'll always love them.

My dream set list:

Seek and Destroy
    Fuel
    Creeping Death
    Battery
    Whiplash
    For Whom the Bell Tolls
    Master of Puppets
    Sanitarium
    Fade to Black
    Nothing Else Matters
    The Unforgiven
    Enter Sandman
    I Disappear (awaits stoning)

Sabra Cadabra
    Loverman
    Turn the Page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

You really don't rate Death Magnetic? IMO best album since Black.

Have you heard ...and Justice for Jason, it's the AJFA album remixed by a guy who added his own bass to it, sounds totally different.

I've seen them 25 times now, worst was Pukkelpop in Belgium, 97 i think, they were fcukin dire.

Best was either the secret gig on 2nd stage at Donington or Donington 2006 (the puppets anniversary tour)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

scudzilla wrote: »
    You really don't rate Death Magnetic? IMO best album since Black.

Have you heard ...and Justice for Jason, it's the AJFA album remixed by a guy who added his own bass to it, sounds totally different.

I've seen them 25 times now, worst was Pukkelpop in Belgium, 97 i think, they were fcukin dire.

Best was either the secret gig on 2nd stage at Donington or Donington 2006 (the puppets anniversary tour)

Yea, I didn't like it. I couldn't get into it. None of the tracks hooked me. Can't even hum one off the top of me head. I should give it another chance but I didn't really like any of it that I heard in Marlay Park.

I downloaded it at same time as last Slipknot one, so that one took centre stage for me.

Haven't heard that album no, must check it out. Thanks man! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭yknaa

Hell Yeah,same here!!:D

2nd night in Belfast announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Shando316

Just got standing tickets for both days :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Second date in Belfast? Guess that rules out a Dublin gig so :(

I wouldn't think so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

I wouldn't think so?

2 nights in Belfast, 1 in Dublin perhaps? That was supposed to be the case in 1993, although neither show got confirmed (they're on the original list of tour dates in the 'Live Sh*t...' tour programme).

They've not announced any British shows yet - and there's a lot of empty space in the schedule, I can't imagine them coming to Europe and not playing London, Birmingham, Manchester etc. Unless it's a 10 night residency at the Odyssey ;)

Maybe they won't play Whiskey in Belfast! Although, I haven't heard it in a couple of years.

Shando316 wrote: »
    Just got standing tickets for both days :D

Same here,bring it the feck on!!:D

Unless it's a marketing ploy,figuring that a Dublin show announcement would stop some from going to Belfast so better to let the Belfast shows sell out first then announce a Dublin show?!!:confused:

Maybe they won't play Whiskey in Belfast! Although, I haven't heard it in a couple of years.

Most likely "Killing Time" by Sweet Savage up north.

• Advertisement

Most likely "Killing Time" by Sweet Savage up north.

Well that'll do me! I'd love to hear Overkill though

Advertisement