Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Rotavator tips?

Options
  • 23-02-2009 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭

I'm hiring a rotavator (36 euro for a day, it seems reasonable) and am wondering if you'd have any tips for using it?

I've marked out a reasonably big area and l've left space around the edges.
    I'm hoping to get this done in the next few days.

The rotavator is a small one (that's what I was told) and has a spike that needs to be kept in the ground to prevent the rotavator jumping al over the place.

I'm planning to grow a few herbs and veg over the next few years

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

I'm hiring a rotavator (36 euro for a day, it seems reasonable) and am wondering if you'd have any tips for using it?

Tip No.1........ Wear steel-toecap boots or wellies only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Florida susan

Make sure the ground is not to wet or frozen, and do small areas at a time, we (hub and I) got our allotment just about a year ago, and grew all sorts of great veg during our 1st season:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The rotavator is a small one (that's what I was told) and has a spike that needs to be kept in the ground to prevent the rotavator jumping al over the place.

You'll need to dig the area first & take out any stones or debris & all the weeds - if you rotavate weeds, they'll grow back on you ten fold.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

You'll need to dig the area first & take out any stones or debris & all the weeds - if you rotavate weeds, they'll grow back on you ten fold.

Why would you dig first and then rotovate? Is this a new version of double digging??

OP- if the ground is very hard, which is unlikely at this time of year, first water area with hose, otherwise fire ahead with rotovator and hold firm with both hands. If you encounter any large stones or debris, do not force blades as it may topple over as the lighter models tend to rise over resistance. Have a helper to remove large stones. Best to approach by light digging and gradually reach the depth you require ie 12" after 3 or 4 passes. Another tip is to alternate on alternative passes, ie first run lengthways and second widthways, that way you'll achieve a more even result without too much effort.

A gentle rake now and then should help in achieving an even level.

Wearing gloves and safety boots would be important, and have some petrol for refills.

I fthe area is weed infested, better to spray area with Roundup or similar and leave for 7-10 days, and then you can rotovate with the knowledge that there will be no residual weed.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Giggles1982

Hi everybody I'm a gardening virgin but the house I'm buying has a rather over grown back garden and I hope to tackle it so I can enjoy our beautiful summer that we are about to have ;)

Its a new house so grass wasn't laid , its just muck & crazy weed things a few feet high , I'm pretty sure they'll come alive at night so I want rid .

I'm guessing I'll have to
    - chop down the weed-things before they attack
    - remove any debris from builders / rocks etc
    - hire a rotavator and eh , rotavate
    - lay grass seed

Any other tips / products that you'd recommend ? Thanks !

Also , will a rotavator be delivered or will I have to collect it ? I'm in swords anyone know of a local supplier ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Callow Man

As mentioned above be sure to dig the ground you are going to rotovate. A rotovator will only hop off ground that has not being pre dug first.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

For my cents worths. When it comes to the above be aware that there are two types on hire. The tiller is the smaller and hence cheaper option (€40-50 perday). The other is the rotovator which is larger, more powerful and well a beast. Hire from around €70-100 perday.

To get the best out of a tiller, you will need need your lawn/soil to be fairly broken up and light, otherwise the tiller will just bounce along the top as it has no real weight to dig into the hard ground. If you have small area or one that has been worked, then a once over with a fork or pick axe will break the soil for you. It may take several passes to truly break it up.

The rotovator is heavy, has smaller tines (teeth), wheels and usually self drive. This will break much harder compacted soil and if you are trying to save a garden that has been used by builders in the past then this is the one. They are long and narrow so they will fit through most doorways, a tiller you can carry (with two people at least) a rotovator no chance. Hire places will deliver and collect for a extra charge. Otherwise you will need a trailer to collect it (also bring some soild boards for a ramp).

It took me four passes with a rotovator for a 100m2 garden that was used by builders to get a reasonable crust.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Bri4ng

Be care if it has a reverse gear as it is travelling towards the operator atthat stage. Stay out of corners if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Wimbago

Could you rotavate straight through uncut grass or would be more hardship than anything?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

It should be at least a 10 horsepower motor on the rotivator that you have hired out,any less and it will be a struggle in heavy soil.

• Advertisement

Wimbago wrote: »
    Could you rotavate straight through uncut grass or would be more hardship than anything?

Rotivating straight through a garden/lawn will only spread the grass and weeds around,through the soil

Take up the grass sod 1st with a turf cutter machine.Turf Cutter can be hired out for 35 euro a day.

Then rotivate the soil with you're rotivator..

Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Wimbago

Thanks for the tip. It's the digging up of the top soil/lawn I'd rather avoid since I'd need to get a bit of soil to replace it and we're in a bit of an awkward spot to be trying to get a trailer of soil to the back garden (damn the previous owners selling rear access to the developers!)

A Honda 12 horsepower "hydraulic" rotivator is around 70 euro to hire out from Sam Hire per day.

I checked with them today.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

Wimbago wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip. It's the digging up of the top soil/lawn I'd rather avoid since I'd need to get a bit of soil to replace it and we're in a bit of an awkward spot to be trying to get a trailer of soil to the back garden (damn the previous owners selling rear access to the developers!)

spray off whatever area you want to re do and after about 10days when the grass is good and burnt it should be good to rotavate then, but i doubt you will get much good from spraying this time of year. best wait until mid-late march before spraying with the intention of having the lawn reset by mid-late aipirl. grass should be fairly well established by mid june.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

might as well post in this thread as its similar. however I'm looking for advice on the best way to clear a near acre of land that has long grass, brambles, and tree stumps. I would reckon there is a large amount of work to be done before I even get close to a rotavator, but what would be the first steps? And that leads to the second questions, is a rotavator suitable or will it take ages to clear such a size? Anything larger that could be used?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭blackharvester

if you know any farmer around there ask him for help, he may have professional tools for this size of land. as you need to dig up (grind down) tree stumps, then get rid of brambles, grass, and then rotovate. so in your case rotovating will be last think to do. but with normal size rotovator you may spend there many days,

before you hire rotovator, check prices in few hire shops, as you may get it cheaper. "hire here" has good strong rotovator for about 65e per day, but if your garden is big you can hire rotovator for weekend, then you may get even better deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

might as well post in this thread as its similar. however I'm looking for advice on the best way to clear a near acre of land that has long grass, brambles, and tree stumps. I would reckon there is a large amount of work to be done before I even get close to a rotavator, but what would be the first steps? And that leads to the second questions, is a rotavator suitable or will it take ages to clear such a size? Anything larger that could be used?

Thanks

if you could get a couple of horses to graze it, you would be left with very short grass & brambles forno work or cost on your part

as for after that, depends on what you want to use the ground for, how many stumps & what size ? ? do they need to be dug out ? perhaps the way to go is 3 or 5 ton excavator, after grazing would leave it level & top broken up.

an acre dug with rotovator is hard work, i would be thinking tractor & grubber then tractor rotovator etc

just my thoughts

A

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Askim wrote: »
    if you could get a couple of horses to graze it, you would be left with very short grass & brambles forno work or cost on your part

as for after that, depends on what you want to use the ground for, how many stumps & what size ? ? do they need to be dug out ? perhaps the way to go is 3 or 5 ton excavator, after grazing would leave it level & top broken up.

an acre dug with rotovator is hard work, i would be thinking tractor & grubber then tractor rotovator etc

just my thoughts

A

thanks A. it does seem like more than a rotavator kind of size. horses only or would sheep do a good job too? I will want it for lawn area, planting trees, and probably apple tree, not entirely sure, but I want a blank canvas really with a large part to be lawn. 3-5 trees that would originally have been a break between fields, so they aren't huge, but bigger than hedgerow. would i need to apply a root killer for this after I grind down stump?

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

for a lawn i would go horses, can be fenced with just electric fence, then excavator to dig out trees & level.
    then take it from there

A

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

They are a night mare to use they jump all over the place and pull your arms out just before they reverse back over your feet....
    If its a veg patch id use a raised bed and bring in top soil
    If its to make a lawn id pay someone to do it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

sam hire bray charges e95 for the day for a rotivator, i live oppsite them so hired it for an hour for e25,

Advertisement