Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bluetooth with Windows

• 23-02-2009 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭

Hello

So, I have a bluetooth enabled Laptop ( Windows XP Service pack 3 )

I have a bluetooth headset

What Im looking for is software to use so that my bluetooth headset will work with my PC and allow me to listen to music from my PC etc. via my bluetooth headset

Anyone know of any free software out there to do that ?

Or an exact link to microsoft that has this software ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

You would need to install the bluetooth stack which should be provided by the laptop manufacturer, or whoever builds their bluetooth component.

If you have the make and model of the laptop, someone might be able to point to an appropriate download.

See
    http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/a/windows/2005/07/05/bluetooth.html?page=1

for setup instructions

• Registered Users Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭obi604

Hello

thanks for reply, its a Jabra BT 150 headset

I thought that would not matter though, presumed you would download generic windows software that would work for any headset

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Sorry, looking for the make of the laptop or it's bluetooth dongle? Toshiba, broadcom or whatever?

The default Microsoft bluetooth stack does not include a number of bluetooth profiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭obi604

the laptop is a Dell D630

I dont need a bluetooth dongle as the PC is bluetooth enabled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The Microsoft BT software is sort of just for very basic features. It's horrible.

You need the Broadcom software. It should be with your laptop or on a CD. There are two kinds of BT headset. The basic phone kind with microphone and call button has quite poor audio quality for music. The BT stereo (higher quality too) uses different profile and different physical headset.

You must:
    1) Enable BT on the laptop (methods vary)
    2) Launch the BT GUI (you should get an icon in the task tray)
    3) press what ever sequence puts the headset into "pairing" mode
    4) The laptop will pop up a dialog asking for a key (default is 0000 or what ever the headset manual says), if not you need to open the BT GUI and "search for Blue tooth devices).
    5) You should get an extra icon in your Bluethooth Places. Edit properities for unsecured if it doesn't work. Change to reconnect automatically.

BT enabling of laptop can be BIOS, a keyboard hot key combination or a tiny nearly hidden switch or button, or running an installer. Read your laptop manual.

You can't have two Bluetooth stacks easily. If the laptop has the Microsoft software you need to uninstall it and the bluetooth device and reinstall manually the Broadcomm. If you did have the MS version, PNP will automatically re-install it if you don't install something else manually.

• Advertisement
Advertisement