Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whiskey clearout!!

Options
  • 23-02-2009 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭

I very kindly helped my Brother in law to clear out his spirits cupboard (they don;t drink any spirits).
    I made of with a bottle of 2007 Middleton!
    A Connemara Peated Single malt
    and a Lockes 8 YO Single Malt.

How kind of me!!

I do like a drop of Middleton (although I much preferred the 2001 to the 2004 and feel it's a bit overpriced) but have never tried the other two.

Taking into account that I really like Green Spot and Redbreast 12, is it likely that the Connemara and Locke's will be to my taste or should I keep them for presents?

Curious to know what people think of them.

Also what do people here think of Tyrconnell?

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

I believe Locke's 8yr old is quality although I've only sample tasted it and thought it was lovely, same goes for TyrConnell. Although the later seems to building in reputation all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

I very kindly helped my Brother in law to clear out his spirits cupboard (they don;t drink any spirits).
    I made of with a bottle of 2007 Middleton!
    A Connemara Peated Single malt
    and a Lockes 8 YO Single Malt.

How kind of me!!

I do like a drop of Middleton (although I much preferred the 2001 to the 2004 and feel it's a bit overpriced) but have never tried the other two.

Taking into account that I really like Green Spot and Redbreast 12, is it likely that the Connemara and Locke's will be to my taste or should I keep them for presents?

Curious to know what people think of them.

Also what do people here think of Tyrconnell?

Thanks

They may be to your taste, but they are nothing like Midleton, Green Spot or Redbreast.

Connemara and Locke's are both peated single malts. They are double distilled, rather than triple distilled. But they're both nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

The Locke's 8yo has only a tiny amount of peat. You probably wouldn't even identify the peat by taste, just that it has a little something extra. I tried it for the first time recently and I was very impressed, and I'm not generally a peat fan. There is a special on for the month of February in various Dublin pubs: €3.75 for a Locke's 8yo so it's a good time to try it. I wish I could tell you which pubs but I can't seem to get my hands on the list. Look out for a poster in the pub.

Bowes, Fleet Street
    Nearys, Chatham Street (top of Grafton Street)
    The Purty Kitchen Temple Bar
    The Palace, Fleet Street
    The Bachelor Inn, Bachelor Quay
    The Bull and Castle, Christchurch
    Ryans, Parkgate Street
    Peadar Kearneys, Dame Street
    O'Niells, Suffolk Street

I think more are coming on board too.

Ah, thanks for that! It's a great offer and I'd like to take advantage of it. March's whiskey is Greenore 8yo, I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Bah, why don't they do this outside of Dublin??:mad:

They might. It's a promotion by Cooley Distillery and the Celtic Whiskey Shop (who supply whiskey to many pubs) and I know they are trying to get more pubs involved.

Perhaps you could ask about it in your local, create some demand.

It's also in Naughton's in Galway. It might be in a place in Kilkenny too. Im not sure.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

davros wrote: »
    Ah, thanks for that! It's a great offer and I'd like to take advantage of it. March's whiskey is Greenore 8yo, I believe.

A lovely whiskey. I've tried the 8yo the 15yo and I recently cracked open the 10yo. The 15 is my preference to date amoung the 3. The 10yo has a real vanilla finish to it that wasn't as prominent in the other 2.

The 8yo is beautifully smooth, fits the description exactly. Personally, I've found them all best drank neat.

Advertisement