Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon Remote contro RC1

• 23-02-2009 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭

I have a Canon 50D. Got a new remote control for it today, but I must be doing something wrong, it won't work. Have followed the instructions but still nothing.

Have read many reviews that say I don't have to do anything to the camera to set it up but I'm obviously not using it properly. Any advice please?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

You will need to let the camera know that you wish to use the remote control.

This is usually the same button you press to change the shooting mode from single shot to continous.

When correctly selected the remote control icon will be visible on the LCD top display just to the right of the battery indicator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Lady_North

There seems to be a little symbol beside the battery indicator alright. Even though it's brand new, I think I will try get batteries to see if that will help. There is nothing happening at all.

Thanks for that.

Will the camera shoot if it hasn't focussed?

Try focussing on something in the usual way and then switch the lens to manual focus (being careful not to move the camera naturally).

Batteries may very well be a possibility too.

The remote control will only work when in front of the camera, i.e. the receiver sensor is on the front of the body.

If stil no luck I can let you know how to check the remote control by taking a picture of the LED to confirm it is transmitting.

Thanks for the tips, but still nothing happening. Tried focussing, not focussing, holding the camera steady on manual focus and getting my daughter to try it Nothing. What's next. Please and thanks.

Firstly, lets confirm the camera itself operates properly.

Put the camera into automatic mode and take a picture.

If all is well here, put the camera on a table or other solid surface. A tripod would be idea if you have one.

Next, focus on a stationary object and take a shot.

Now put the lens into manual focus.

Switch on the remote control function on the camera. You'll see the remote icon lit on the top LCD display.

Prividing the camera hasn't moved you should be able to hold the remote control so its LED is pointing at the front of the camera. Try to be about a meter away from the camera to ensure the remote can "see" the receive sensor.

If the camera is still in focus and you're sure the remote control battery is ok and inserted correctly then all I can suggest is taking a photo of the remote control LED itself.

To do this, focus manually on the remote control LED. Try having it in your hand while its placed against a solid surface. Keep the lens on manual focus.

Select say Av mode on the camera. ISO1600 and a small apeture e.g f16.

Make sure the room is pretty dark for this. The simply keep the remote control button pressed and take a shot with the camera.

Examine the resulting image carefully and you should see a very faint glow from the remote control LED.

You can repeat the test with a TV remote control to see what you are looking for.

Hope this makes sense. It does work. If you're not getting a "control" image from a TV remote, the adjust your camera settings until you do get an image (faint glow).

Let me know how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

My RC1 has a small switch which has three positions - off, on and 2 sec delay. Is yours switched on?

Yep, it's switched on. It's working with my 350D so obviously I am doing something wrong with the 50D. Am trawling through the book to see if there is anything obvious I have missed. Thanks for the help......

That answers my questions. I am really mad now though, because I bought it because I was told it was compatible with the 50D. Not overly upset because I can use it with the 350 but will have to go shopping again.

Thanks for all the help. Much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Lady_North wrote: »
    Not overly upset because I can use it with the 350 but will have to go shopping again.

Any excuse.... Eh? :)

Even in times of recession, I don't need much of an excuse to go shopping. lol

• Advertisement

Lady_North wrote: »
    That answers my questions. I am really mad now though, because I bought it because I was told it was compatible with the 50D. Not overly upset because I can use it with the 350 but will have to go shopping again.

Thanks for all the help. Much appreciated.

Of course if it was a retailer who advised you it was suitable then you'll be entitled to a replacement or a full refund.

Advertisement