Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Company keeping my picture

Options
  • 23-02-2009 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

This is not related to MY work but it is a workplace related situation.

I was 21 last Friday. My cousin thought it would be a laugh (and we did have a good laugh) if he showed some old photographs of an 8 year old me at the party.

So, at his work the scanned the photos and printed them off A4 size and stuck them up around the place on the night of the party.

This morning he rang me to say that he had left 2 pictures lying around and these were found by his boss, the owner. He was asked about them and told his boss what he'd done. He wasn't admonished in any way. However, his boss would not return the pictures of me. He said he was keeping them.

Outside of the fact of the rights/wrong of using company equipment etc. has this person the right to keep photo's of me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

What are you going to do, sue your cousins boss?
    I would imagine the boss has binned the photos or is keeping them as evidence to show your cousin was 'abusing' his use of the colour printer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

In my opinion its just tough.
    Nothing you can do about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Considering he used work equipment to scan the photos onto work paper, I would imagine the scanned photos are now the property of whereever he works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭eman66

Company wins every time.

If what your cousin did was a punishable offence in that company, well then he should have been punished. Da boss should have given your pictures back. But sure he most likely isn't legally obliged to. And that's all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

I think it sounds a bit odd for him to keep them.
    I wouldn't be happy if it was photo's of my sister he was keeping.
    Not sure what you should do though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

they were probabaly binned and rather then say i binned them, you get the your not getting them back remark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

He is probably keeping them as potential evidence of wrongdoing. If I was your cousin, I'd be concerned. And I wouldn't want to rock the boat.

But he should write a note (to himself, for future reference) outlining what happened and stating that he had asked for the pictures back and was refused. I'm not sure what the legal position is regarding the ownership of the pictures, but holding on to pictures of a young kid, not related to him, could prove to be at least an embarresment to the boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

This is not related to MY work but it is a workplace related situation.

I was 21 last Friday. My cousin thought it would be a laugh (and we did have a good laugh) if he showed some old photographs of an 8 year old me at the party.

So, at his work the scanned the photos and printed them off A4 size and stuck them up around the place on the night of the party.

This morning he rang me to say that he had left 2 pictures lying around and these were found by his boss, the owner. He was asked about them and told his boss what he'd done. He wasn't admonished in any way. However, his boss would not return the pictures of me. He said he was keeping them.

Outside of the fact of the rights/wrong of using company equipment etc. has this person the right to keep photo's of me.

photo's of people are considered sensitive personal information under the Data Protection Act. You could get these back if you wanted but as mentioned in other posts you mightn't want to rock the boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

This has nothing to do with the data protection act, its basicallt rubbish left lying around. why does the op want them back anyway?

i would keep the head down and say nothing, its not worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

why would he want a pic of you when you were 8 ....................

:cool:<
    Pedo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Has your cousin spoken to your boss about the pictures since then ?

Maybe by now his boss will either admit he binned them , or give them back.

Advertisement