Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert English

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

Piste wrote: »
    She was probably just enjoying it so much she was sad for it to end.

Oh, definitely!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

She was also probably bitter about sitting alone correcting exams on Valentine's night >_>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 iloverocknroll2

I'd be thinking of:

Part A answers: 1-1 and a half pages
    Part B - 2/3 pages
    Essay - 4/5 pages
    Unseen poetry 1-1 and a half pages
    Prescribed poetry - 4/5 pages
    Comparative - 3/4 pages
    Single text - 4/5 pages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

Essays are my weakest point in English. Writing 4+ pages would take me ages. I should get practicing them but I don't have the time :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

Comparative - 3/4 pages

I would think since the comparative is worth 70marks compared to 50 and 60 for poetry and single text respectively it should probably be the longest answer on paper II

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Comparative should be at the very least 5 pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

I'd be thinking of:

Part B - 2/3 pages
    Essay - 4/5 pages
    Comparative - 3/4 pages
    Single text - 4/5 pages

thats basically what i did for pres but did 5 pages for comparative!you would probably be ok with 4 for perscribed poetry id say

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭helpful

Our teacher told us at least 3 pages for essays, poetry, macbeth and comparative.She gets at least 1 person that gets 100 marks in english every year, now another teacher told her class at least 5, where as i think thats quite a lot for the examiner sure its better to have 3 pages of good solid points than 5 pages of waffle!!! my friend wrote 22 pages for paper 2 i wrote twelve, oh and another boy in our class called lady macbeth an evil bitch and macbeth an evil so and so we havnt got our results but i thoink that ill wake the examiner up a bit!!do you think theyll mark him down???

sorry if this is too long, i know visual indegestion and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭coffey-16

I'd be thinking of:

Part B - 2/3 pages
    Essay - 4/5 pages
    Comparative - 3/4 pages
    Single text - 4/5 pages

correct me if im wrong but is the comparative study not worth the most amount of marks in that section but yet your doing the least amount of pages for it!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

While it's being discussed 'pages' is a very loose term, handwriting has such a significant part to play. I mean, I average about ~200-250 a page but that can vary drastically from person to person.

Also 22 pages as a person posted above is just too much it's probably a combonation (sp?) of large handwriting and talking out of their hole I would think. Has anyone ever been told that some answers can be just too long and the examiner will get bored?

• Advertisement

helpful wrote: »
    Our teacher told us at least 3 pages for essays, poetry, macbeth and comparative.She gets at least 1 person that gets 100 marks in english every year, now another teacher told her class at least 5, where as i think thats quite a lot for the examiner sure its better to have 3 pages of good solid points than 5 pages of waffle!!! my friend wrote 22 pages for paper 2 i wrote twelve, oh and another boy in our class called lady macbeth an evil bitch and macbeth an evil so and so we havnt got our results but i thoink that ill wake the examiner up a bit!!do you think theyll mark him down???

sorry if this is too long, i know visual indegestion and all that

He most likely will our teacher told us that if you use profanity! where its totally unecessary like a macbeth essay!they will dock you marks but she said its ok if its used in your composition if it is tied in with the personality of a character!like a rebelious teen!oh ya!!but obviously it shouldnt be in every secound sentence

Des23 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever been told that some answers can be just too long and the examiner will get bored?

Indeed i have and 22 pages seems to fall into that bracket fair play at the same time 22 pages in 3 hours and 20 minutes!

Well its not so much bored as if you talk about a certain area of the question a lot it dramatically increases your chance of repeating yourself and going off the point no matter how good you are!best to keep it shortish lik where told 1 paragaph=1 point in poetry or macbeth so intro,main answer bout 4-5 paragraphs,conclusion thats easily at least 3 can go up to 5 or 6 dependin on your knowledge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Paper 2 for me was 22 pages too, and I've pretty average sized handwriting, but the waffle was kept to a bare minimum, if there was any. English is probably my strongest subject, and there can be way too much information to include, so you've to be selective because of time and the length of answers.

Paper 2 for me was 22 pages too, and I've pretty average sized handwriting, but the waffle was kept to a bare minimum, if there was any. English is probably my strongest subject, and there can be way too much information to include, so you've to be selective because of time and the length of answers.

nice one!i did about 15 myself!ya id agree with too much info especially for poetry!!

Advertisement