Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headaches when pregnant - anyone?

• 23-02-2009 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

This is my second pregnancy and I am having really bad headaches. I don't normally suffer from them and don't recall having any during my first pregnancy. Am drinking more water just in case dehydrated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Phsyche

Have you tried checking your blood pressure? I suffer from migranes and the only thing that used to help me during pregnancy was a cold compress over my forehead for few minutes. Cutting out the cheese from my diet helped too.

If you're not into taking painkillers while pregnant there are loads of other options available at the chemists. Roll-on aromatherapy things and the likes...

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭livvy

Thank you - i agree re painkillers but am advised a little paracetamol very infrequently is okay. Will look into alternatives. Am due a checkup soon and will definately mention it. I don't know if it is common or not in women when pregnant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Frequent or recurring headaches during pregnancy are something which you need to see your GP or midwive about sooner rather than later.

Headaches can be a sign that you are suffering from PIH (pregnancy induced hypertension) and may be developing pre-eclampsia. To get a better idea as to whether or not this is the case with yourself, you need to have your urine checked for protein and your blood pressure taken.

Pre-eclampsia symptoms can include headaches, protein in the urine, elevated blood pressure, visual disturbances, swelling - particularly of hands and face. It can cause stroke or seizures in the mother and it is very dangerous.

There is every chance you are just unfortunate and are having headaches through tiredness, stress, hormonal changes... but you should see a GP as soon as you can.

Best of luck!

Advertisement