Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Communism

Options
  • 23-02-2009 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

Cabaal wrote:
    Hi nacimroc,

You have been banned from Broadband for the following duration:

7 Day(s)

for the following reason:

If you've read 9 pages you'll know there was a warning about suggesting boards/mods are working with eircom, banned for a week, got an issue take it to helpdesk

Providing your ban is not permanent, it will be lifted automatically after 7 Day(s). You will get an automatic message informing you that the ban is lifted. If you do not receive this message after the alloted time, please PM a moderator to clarify.
    Also, please be aware that an abusive response to this automated message may result in an extension of your ban, or in extreme cases, being banned from the entire site.

Thanks,

Forum Moderator.

Quick question! If you have Eircom advertising on your site, why is it not allowed to say you get money from Eircom? Really couldn't care less about the ban, but taking money from Eircom (directly or indirectly), pretending you don't, then banning people who disagree ??

BTW, is it a good idea to have an Eircom advertisement on the bottom of the broadband forum ??? If so, mods should at least not argue for Eircoms case!

Realise you have own forum rules, but this is taking things a step too far!

China anyone ??

Ya ya, I know, I disagreed so here comes the complete ban.... (taking your ball and running home crying ???? )

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Communism eh?
    Interesting...ok lets put your ban into context shall we.

Here's the timeline leading up to your ban

This was posted on page 2

Posted:
    ionix5891 wrote: »
    also @Cabaal please answer why all the moderators have taken such a stance on this matter? are them Eircom ads all over the site (one in bottom of this thread) paying Boards Ltd so well, censorship will hurt boards.ie one day too, i hope yee can see that for all our sakes

I answered:
    Cabaal wrote: »
    Stance how and on what exactly?

This was posted on page 7

Posted:
    as i pointed out earlier is there some sort of an agreement reached by the moderators, as so far they are the only ones supporting Eircom while every single other member in this thread has expressed outrage

i am sorry but i feel the moderators here dont like this Eircom matter being discussed (fear of a lawsuit or fear of loosing a lucrative advertiser?), and some know deep down that what's happening that is wrong on so many levels but cant admit to it

I answered:
    sigh,
    Listen I'm not going to listen to any further tinfoil hat crap from you on this subject, If your paranoid about boards.ie and mods and eircom take it to help desk otherwise further discussions on this and your banned as its complete crap and its only taking this thread off-topic which is against the charter.

This was posted on page 8
    ok i will open a thread in the helpdesk, i just wanted to highlight a worrying trend i noticed in these threads, since im at risk of being censored altogether (the irony!) ill stop bringing that up

I answered
    Nobody is censoring you, the fact is your off-topic ramblings about boards/mods and making an agreement with eircom is utter crap and is something that only comes from tinfoil hat wearing people.

Your more then free to discuss it in Help Desk if you want to ask about it.

You posted
    I've read every post of the 9 pages so far and I'm honestly amazed at the mods 'opposing' arguments. If its a case of being worried about legal action, surely its wiser to remain quiet. If its a case of sponsorship funds, then it should be stated!!!

I realise you will argue the point, but if you go back over the last 9 pages and substitute the mods usernames with Eircom it doesn't look out of place.

I seen alot of people stating inaccurate details and needed correcting as it should, but theres a very obvious stance here. I'm shocked anyone would lean to the side of internet censorship in any form regardless of its legalities.
    SMods/Admins can view post here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59150010

I answered with (and deleted your post)
    nacimroc banned for 7 days for suggesting further off-topic tinfoil hat crap, any further suggestions of this type of laughable nonsense earns further bans

My conclusion:
    You confirmed you read all previous 9 pages yet you continued to make the comparison of mods talking for eircom, not only is such crazy talk off-topic I had already given a very clear warning that bans would be handed out and any further tinfoil hat type questions about boards/mods working for/with eircom should be taken up in the help desk.

Your saying your question was about boards and advertising with eircom, this is off-topic for Broadband and does not even come into the threads on boards....this view has been made clear by admins in the past.

Also if you re-read my posts you'll see that I've never actually said I personally agree with censorship in this manner, infact I have on numerous occasions suggested people look at EFF and DigitalRights Ireland in relation to starting some sort of campaign...you clearly didn't read any of those posts.

In my view the ban is justified and stands.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'd also like to add that just because all users on boards don't shout out that Eircom is the devil and don't think the pirate bay is legit does not give anyone the right to start throwing crap about by saying they work/have an agreement with eircom etc. (or in your case that they are communists)

For the record my personal view is:
    - The pirate bay overwhelming links to copyright material v legal material (thats clear to everyone but a blind person)
    - I don't think eircom blocking any site is a good idea
    - I understand where the industry is coming from in trying to protect their products...that however doesn't mean I agree with their tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

tinfoil hat type questions

Well, the only people who opposed everyones arguments were the mods! 4 people pointed this out over the series of the thread and simply asked why, but thats right.....we're all loonies who get banned for asking!! (Still waiting on the answer btw)

I can see a valid argument to be made from Eircoms side, but everytime we ask why the boards mods are taking that stance (especially as just below where we reply is an Eircom ad).......we get banned!!!

You point out you are for the consumers side, yet you are arguing for the opposite side ?? All tin hat weirdo stuff....yep!!!

nacimroc wrote: »
    Well, the only people who opposed everyones arguments were the mods! 4 people pointed this out over the series of the thread and simply asked why, but thats right.....we're all loonies who get banned for asking!! (Still waiting on the answer btw)

There's a number of non-mod users arguing as well, you can clearly see them posting in the thread
    I can see a valid argument to be made from Eircoms side, but everytime we ask why the boards mods are taking that stance (especially as just below where we reply is an Eircom ad).......we get banned!!!

Discussing mod interactions and boards advertising is off-topic for the thread in question which I clearly stated, people are certainly welcome to query why boards has eircom ads but just not in that thread as its off-topic (this I've also made very clear) and I don;'t think its also suited to the Broadband forum.
    You point out you are for the consumers side, yet you are arguing for the opposite side ?? All tin hat weirdo stuff....yep!!!

I'm arguing both sides just with logic, you can't download copyright material and twist it so you can justify doing so and think its legal and ok.

This is what alot of posters appear to be doing,

Missed the question there again ? Need I ask it a 4th time ??

You say talking about mods and Eircom is off topic, yet the topic is based on mods arguing Eircoms case ??

You are arguing a case you don't agree with ?? this isn't wack job paranoia crap, you seen how many times you had to tell people as its clearly obvious, theres something amiss between boards.ie moderators and Eircom discusssion!

Why didn't you just post your last sentence up to fix it all instead of just banning people ???

Anyway, don't bother replying as I'm really not that bothered! I'm just trying to make a point! Ironic that thread is about censorship, yet here I am.....banned!!!

• Advertisement

Broadband forum is not the place to argue a mods decision this is a rule that applys across all of Boards...you do not argue about mods in a thread not about mods. As such its off-topic. You should instead take to help desk which you only did after you were banned.

I shouldn't need to give yet another warning that further off-topic will result in a ban considering I had already done so and its covered in the charter which you should have read......you just didn't bother to read it even though it was on page 8 of the 9 pages you confirmed you already read before you posted.

Anyway I have answered why you were banned it was justified and a warning was clearly issued before hand, the ban still stands and there's nothing more I can add in respect of it.

If you have a question about how boards.ie advertising is handled a SMod or Admin should be able to assist you such queries.

If however you think boards.ie is somehow working with eircom to censor posts/threads then I suggest you get out more as imho nobody can help you with that level of paranoia

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

nacimroc wrote:
    Communism

nacimroc
    As you are a newbie, I will forgive you for thinking that Boards is a communist site. It never has been, we have always been a benevolent dictatorship. Though that might be changing...

As mod, Cabaal is doing his best in the job he does, he also has the forum and Boards best interest foremost in his mind.
    Everyone was warned and given enough chances so a ban should be no surprise.
    nacimroc wrote:
    China anyone ??

There is no free speech on this site. There never was. It is privately owned and everyone is mindful of that fact.

Sorry folks! Was on one yesterday! Woman driving me insane! Fully agree with both of you now!

Advertisement