Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flash SNG - can rakes be beaten?

Options
  • 23-02-2009 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have played a few "Flash" SNG. Basically blinds start from 10-20 and go up every 4 minutes, starting stack is 300 chips (15BB), 1 table - top 3 paid.

They are all about ICM. I wonder if any of you has played a considerable sample of them (1,000+) and whether it is actually possible to make a profit (rakes applied are 10%, which is huge IMO) without relaying on a good rake back deal.

I played about 130 and made some profit, but variance is very high on these SNG, so I am really wondering if they can be profitable on the long ran.

Also would you have some links to good ICM analysis that I can study and possibly to a push/fold table depending on the numbers of BB and number of players to act after you? There is one in Collin Moshman book but the pushing ranges are a bit too wide for these tipo of SNG I think, as we all start short-stacked and "stealing" doesn't always work.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,303 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'd rather a normal structure, seams to be bingo for poker players,

ICM isn't perfect and some of its flaws are exposed at very short stacked play. ICM suggests that folding is the best option at very short stacks. This is based on the assumption that your $EV goes up more with each player gone than a double up when you are the shortie. But this ignores (or rather under-rates) the fact that other players won't bust if there is a very short stack about to be blinded out (this in itself is basic ICM strat that comes naturally to most players)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭TommyGunne

If these type of games attracted the same standard of players they would be less profitable cos in general people make less mistakes short (not cos theres more variance) but the standard is in general far worse cos a lot of the better players per level wont play the likes of these and super turbos. I would imagine that roi would be a bit less than in an ordinary structure but it is definitely still possible to be +ev in them though. No reason why you couldnt be.

Advertisement