Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Selling Pics to Press

• 23-02-2009 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭

I have took pics today that I believe the Press will be interested in.
    Do I just contact the newsdesk and send them in and arrange a fee afterwards if they use my shots?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Contact the editors, discuss how newsworthy your images are, find out their rates for payment, and then submit the images.

Submitting and then chasing for payment can be a long process ... then again, it can also go smoothly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Typically you'll need to be quick off the mark. Very qucik given the time of the evening. Todays news is exactly that. Its stale by tomorrow.

Get the pics in firstly, then negoiate afterwards.

Make sure you caption them correctly and clearly.

Fees are usually quite low and rights often a grey area (although as photographer you do own the copyright).

Don't send the files too large, about 1mb is plenty.

So.... How interesting are the shots?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

You either need do what the lads have already said, but most importantly, do it very fast... Unless its really exclusive you will be too late.

I would send the shots to the picture desks ASAP and then follow up with a call... Print deadlines are fast approaching..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

shepthedog wrote: »
    You either need do what the lads have already said, but most importantly, do it very fast... Unless its really exclusive you will be too late.

I would send the shots to the picture desks ASAP and then follow up with a call... Print deadlines are fast approaching..

Thanks for the advice folks, I sent the pics in about 5pm, who do I call then?
    Do they have to let me know if they are using them?

I let you know how it goes.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

spadder wrote: »
    I have took pics today that I believe the Press will be interested in.

John Gormley fly tipping baby's toys and an old pc down in Dunsink lane?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

humberklog wrote: »
    John Gormley fly tipping baby's toys and an old pc down in Dunsink lane?

Seanie Fitzpatrick signing on this morning :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Covey wrote: »
    Seanie Fitzpatrick signing on this morning :D

Unless the pr1ck is signing on from his villa in spain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

How did you get on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

spadder wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice folks, I sent the pics in about 5pm, who do I call then?
    Do they have to let me know if they are using them?

I let you know how it goes.

wait until tomorrow - check the papers - if/when they print your pics drop me a PM and I'll give you details of who to invoice/contact..... typical price is €75 per pic , sun pay space rate (meaning they make up a price and send you the cheque), mail pay between €80-120, all others are happy to pay out if you charge €75...but you might be waiting 6-8weeks.

EDIT: ONLY NOTICED THE ORIGINAL MESSAGE WAS YESTERDAY - DID YOU GET PRINTED ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭paulkellypix

I generally submit a photograph and then call the relevant Sub or Reporter to let them know it's gone in.

I also only submit each image to one paper - so the Indo gets one pic, the Times another, Examiner another etc.

Payment as outlined in prior threads and posts.

Paul

• Advertisement
Advertisement