Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LANCE ARMSTRONG: Opinions Poll

Options
  • 23-02-2009 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, the purpose of this poll is simple. I want to see the opinions and feelings ye have on Lance Armstrong. I am one of the few people undecided, so maybe the results of this may help me make that decision. I know I may get some abuse for such a silly poll...e.g. Of course he is...etc! Feel free to comment. I want to get as many voters as possible so I can get a good perspective. Cheers ;)

Lance Armstrong.... 82 votes

He is clean, an absolute cycling legend and genuinely out to help cancer patients.
    0%
    He is a druggy, an absolute disgrace to the sport of cycling and a lying cheat.
    35%
    GenghisMickbTackleberryeventdogg_r_69baRAUL DUKEDoweeEoin DBenny CakeburnedfacemanPlanet Xtrek climberSleight of handvincenzolorenzotitan18Needabikeshort circuitgreenman09littlemsfickle 29 votes
    I'm not sure, undecided. I have mixed opinions about him. (Let us know what they are!)
    64%
    TrojanDiarmuidtunneyE@gle.rob1891Red DeviljimmycrackcormmobbyRodVelvetJesus1222penexpersMr. PresentableTristramdelta_bravoanonymous_joeFrankGrimesFunkyzeitTrippiepetethedrummerBlowfish 53 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

Um, what options are we voting on? or are we making our own up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

xz wrote: »
    Um, what options are we voting on? or are we making our own up?

The 3 options are at the top, they may have been in the process of being made when you looked at the page. Please vote! ;)

Now I see, says the blind man:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I think he's class.

Undecided, not liking the amount of publicity he's getting on his ahem, comeback trail, which as far as I can see is serving the purpose he wants.Is he serious about racing or just advertising the Livestrong Foundation, because my opinion on that, is that he should ride the same Team bikes as the rest of his Astana teammates and not the black/yellow ones that he is riding.

As regards the drug taking allegations, my opinion is, that while he has never failed a drug test, I believe that he may have been taking something, or having essential testosterone and minerals lost through exertion topped up, by the, controversial Dr.Ferrari, thus, not coming up on a drug test,as they were not being sought. But as he has not admitted it, nor been found to have done drugs, I have to give the benefit of the doubt, also EPO was in use before it was made illegal and testing to show it was developed, so there's another question mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,366 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

completely undecided loved watching the train in the tdf wipe everyone out on the final climbs, got bored of watching him win all the time (bit like F1 and schumacher)
    didnt like the fact that he was only competitive for about 2 races a year
    can't believe hes not done any PED's whilst cycling

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Found this photo of Lance, riding his bike, without a helmet. That's all I am going to say on this thread.

Lance-Armstrong_jpg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

blorg wrote: »
    Found this photo of Lance, riding his bike, without a helmet. That's all I am going to say on this thread.

At least he has white socks on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭Eoin D

I voted that he is clean. Whether he always was clean is another matter but at the moment he's clean. Apart from that I'm undecided but taking the cancer thing on a seperate note I think that he's doing some good there

• Registered Users Posts: 4 shelleymar1

helmets were not compulsory back then anyway back to the dicussion, he has never falled a drug test where all his main rivals have.as the crowds have shown in australia and california he is well supported and respected in the cycling world as well as doing more than any sports star has ever done for a cause he believes in.if his comebck saves just one person from cancer it ll be worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I think there's plenty of information out there, both in books and on the web (including countless threads here), for people to make an informed decision on whether they believe him or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I'm not sure, undecided. I have mixed opinions about him. (Let us know what they are!)
    where all his main rivals have.
    No they haven't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

http://www.dickipedia.org/dick.php?title=Lance_Armstrong
    Throughout his career, Lance Armstrong has continually denied using performance-enhancing drugs, an obvious indication that he has.

pantani,ullrich.basso.landis.hamilton there have been a few. maybe not all of them but a good few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I think that it is highly improbable that any top ranked cyclist in the past few decades (at least) have rode clean all the time.

A lot of cyclist that are suspected to have cheated deny it (some of
    these are prominent irish cyclists).

I am ambivalent about his alleged cheating, I dont condone it, I dont like it but I will not expect him to win major tours against a cheating peleton if he is clean. It is a sad fact of the sport.

What I dislike about him is (1) his arrogance, (2) his bullying (particulalry of those in the peleton who are clean or who have spoken out about drug taking and (3) the cancer thing.

All that said, I think that it will be great for cycling in Ireland that he is to compete in the TOI. It will put us as a nation on the map for a lot of major sporting events.

I expect there to be some "unpleasantness" (as HJ Simpson might say), but all in all I would hope that he and all the peleton get a good welcome.
    If he has cheated, he wont be the only one in the peleton how has. What he puts in his body, is not my business.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

pantani,ullrich.basso.landis.hamilton there have been a few. maybe not all of them but a good few.

Pantani, Ullrich and Basso never failed drugs tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I don't really want to give my opinion on the poll, I don't think 'we' can know for sure. And I haven't read and seen everything yet.

As tonto says there are loads of info out there for people to make up their mind, however for people to deny the fact that he 'might' have taken drugs when others like Millar have admitted it, and we all know it's a very common practice, is undeniable, whether we like it or not. People choose who and what they want to believe, at the end of the day ...
    What drives me mad is the whole 'he's a god' attitude that a lot of people have, and his arrogance.

I have a heard people say, they love to hate him and the fact that he is back is great for the sport, gives it a little bit of excitement that we had been missing for the past few years. I too share that view.

Bring him on :P

my mistake el tonto ullrich only failed a recreational drug test.pantani was asked to leave the 1999 giro because of adnormal blood count and well ivan basso is just a chancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Wasnt impressed with his attitude to Paul Kimmage at a press conferance last week....made Kimage out to look like he was been derogatory to cancer suffers. Armstrong must think he is owed something from a sport that has served HIM well aswell as his own contribution to it.

And he was crap in Dodgeball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

yes i believe he took drugs, but i still like what he is doing with the livestrong foundation

• Advertisement

kimmage used the words "cancer" and "remission" knowing well the reaction he would get.maybe he has a new book coming out and needs the publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

I have a heard people say, they love to hate him and the fact that he is back is great for the sport, gives it a little bit of excitement that we had been missing for the past few years. I too share that view.
    I think it's terrible for the sport. Kills any credibility of "cleaning the sport up" to have guys like Basso, Landis and Armstrong back in the peleton. We shouldn't confuse good for the sport and good for Lance's publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Diarmuid wrote: »
    I think it's terrible for the sport. Kills any credibility of "cleaning the sport up" to have guys like Basso, Landis and Armstrong back in the peleton. We shouldn't confuse good for the sport and good for Lance's publicity.
    Oh, absolutely.

These guys are bad for the sport: yes - however, lots of them never failed a test as we mentioned before.

These guys KNOW how to get pass the test. It was proven in ice hockey a few years ago when they strated using hair growth drugs to mask the effect of banned substances.

I don't know enough to say anymore ... all I know is that I enjoy watching cycling on TV, and I enjoy practicing cycling as a sport ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭daroadlescycled

Does anyone know for sure. there will always be debate.People are right to seek the truth, let the facts give you the answer, not the answer give you the facts. My gut instinct tells me he is genuine about cancer awarness. I think he is a huge talent and is Mr suffer when it comes to cycling, any amount of pain wont get in the way of maximum effort. His achievements are enormous. I d'ont spend alot of time wondering whether he did or did not use enhancing drugs, time has a way of revealing what should be known. (just look at the Banks scandal) So I trust the future and enjoy cycling and await any further clarity. I gave Lance the thumbs up, He is welcome to Ireland and I'm looking forward to watching him cycle in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

So I trust the future and enjoy cycling and await any further clarity.
    Once bitten, twice shy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭daroadlescycled

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Once bitten, twice shy

Being bitten can be rough, How we choose to relate to it is up to us .

Being shy is one option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Jesus1222

This is just my opinion but I agree with Paul Kimmage 100%. He's more juiced as Ben Johnson, Barry Bonds and OJ combined imo. Some might say he's still the best, better than the other dopers (almost anybody who is successful is a doper), that's true and that's cycling but it doesn't make it right. It's not right for the health of the riders, the long term commercial endorsement of the sports or the future of the sport generally, it's also fraudulent if you become as rich as a King falsely saying you're winning clean. It's a dirty, cynical business and Armstrong's praise or lack of for certain individuals depending on a certain issue says 10,000 words. Not to mention his "shhhh" action to somebody in the peloton.

His self-serving answer responding to Kimmage's cancer jibe was typical of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Jesus1222 wrote: »
    His self-serving answer responding to Kimmage's cancer jibe was typical of him.

In fairness, what else was he supposed to say? Assuming(as I do) that he has doped, the only option was to launch a personal attack on Kimmage. He does seem to get an unfair amount of criticism for alleged doping whereas Indurain(of whom I used to be a massive fan) seems to have gotten off very lightly.

Have a read of these two links
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/Tour_de_France_19992008_article_267949.html
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/vuelta_a_espana_19982007_article_267986.html?aff=rss

and I'll leave the final word to Lance.

"But finally the last thing I'll say to the people who don't believe in cycling, the cynics and the sceptics. I'm sorry for you. I'm sorry that you can’t dream big. I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles. But this is one hell of a race. This is a great sporting event and you should stand around and believe it. You should believe in these athletes, and you should believe in these people. I'll be a fan of the Tour de France for as long as I live. And there are no secrets - this is a hard sporting event and hard work wins it."

* Lance Armstrong, Podium farewell speech, Tour de France, July 24, 2005

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Jesus1222

In fairness, what else was he supposed to say? Assuming(as I do) that he has doped, the only option was to launch a personal attack on Kimmage. He does seem to get an unfair amount of criticism for alleged doping whereas Indurain(of whom I used to be a massive fan) seems to have gotten off very lightly[/quit]

It was self serving because it made it sound like Kimmage was attacking cancer sufferers generally.

• Advertisement

He does seem to get an unfair amount of criticism for alleged doping whereas Indurain(of whom I used to be a massive fan) seems to have gotten off very lightly.

I think there's a number of reasons for this and one of the chief ones is that he tends to bring it on himself. Unlike most other big name riders, who do a fine line in avoiding the question or paying lukewarm lip service to a clean sport, he can't seem to resist confrontation, even with people who haven't made accusations against him personally.

Take the Simeoni thing as a case in point. Simeoni never said a thing about Armstrong, he just testified against Ferrari. Now I presume Lance wasn't the only rider being treated by Ferrari, but he was the one to come out publicly and call Simeoni a liar, which caused Simeoni to sue him for libel and led Lance to extract his revenge on that infamous stage of the 2004 Tour.

We should also bear in mind that we're part of the anglophone world and the media tends to focus more on anglophone riders. Virenque was pilloried in France for years. The German media has been outraged about doping and has really gone after suspect riders. You have to bear in mind that the coverage of Lance in the English language press is almost always positive with a few notable dissenters like Kimmage. I'd say Ullrich would take that any day.

Advertisement