Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Libraries lending comics?

Options
  • 23-02-2009 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

is there a library that lets you borrow graphic novels? at nearly 20 euro a pop it can be very expensive.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I know that cork city library had a modest collection of comics and graphic novels, so I'd say it's worth checking your local library to see what they have. I'm not aware of any independent libraries for comics, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

most of the public libraries have a selection of comics and manga but you might have to dig to find them as alot of the staff don't know much about comics so they end up shelving them in odd places. My friend had to move some hardcore yaoi manga from the kids section in the Navan library and the staff were confused as to why she had cus "surely if its a comic its for kids?" The Ilac library has a great selection and there is a french library in Dublin that has a great BD collection [though they are in french]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

I think most library's have them. Its mainly mainstream stuff and at that I have not noticed much Marvel stuff, normally tends to be DC/ Darkhorse.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

ztoical wrote: »
    The Ilac library has a great selection and there is a french library in Dublin that has a great BD collection [though they are in french
    Ooh, whereabouts is that French library? I'd love to check that out!
    My local library (Maynooth library) acquired some new graphic novels, according to their ad in the papers. They have a nice collection now, ranging from classics such as Watchmen, V For Vendetta and Maus, to cult comics like The Authority, Sin City and 30 Days of Night, to independant stuff including Garage Band.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

Most placves have them. I'm currently doing my best to Increase the blanchardstown Stock.

I found it very useful for picking up books I've never considered buying. It's how I found out I enjoyed American Virgin,Fables, 100 Bullets and that passing on Doom patrol was a good call.

Most libaries have an on-line catalogue so you should be able to check out what they got. I'm doing my best to increase the amount of stuff that Blanch has by donating stuff once a month. Regualrly buy lots of books and Doubles or stuff I don't want get sent thier way.

It's one of the few sections they still take donations on. The chap at my local one says if interest picks up that the budget for that section does increase and he gets to order in more stuff each year. So it's well worth paying a visit. Even if they currently only have one shelf.(in blanches case it's an over flowing Book Trolley. But soon he hopes to have enough to warrent a shelf part.

Stuff they have.
    Wolverine trades
    X-men trades
    Parts of 100 bullets
    all of american virgin
    Exterminators(to current)
    Ex machina
    Fables,
    Invisables
    Doom patrol,
    Charley's War
    Lots of Manga
    Faker
    Scalped
    Lots of the big DC event books
    Captain Britian and MI:13.

Well worth a wander if your in the Blanchardstown area.

• Advertisement

Saruwatari wrote: »
    Ooh, whereabouts is that French library? I'd love to check that out!

It's on kildare street - you can check the website for more info

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

the one in tallaghts got a selection to but like others have posted the librarians dont seem to have a clue when it comes to them and theyre inexplicably placed up on the top floor near the computer section.

theres a few 2000ad trades of judge dredd and the like in there along with some of the other titles others have mentioned.

• Company Representative Posts: 328 Verified rep BlanchLibrary

Blanchardstown Library has a selection of Graphic Novels and Manga available for borrowing.

We have a variety of titles, the following are some of the series that are available in the library.

Fantastic Four
    Essential Wolverine
    American Virgin
    John constantine Hellblazer
    Fruits Basket
    X Men
    V for Vendetta
    Cowboy Bebop
    The Sandman
    Batman
    Hellboy
    Superman
    100 Bullets
    JLA

We are currently adding to our stock - particularly in the Young Adult Section.

We have also now shelved our Graphic Novel Collection on shelves at the end of the Science Fiction/Fantasy Collection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

They also have the collected Halo Jones from 2000 A.D. by Alan Moore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

I did See that they got shelve space. And did a little mini wave in celebration of it today.

Also Add Watchman and top ten to a that moore list.
    Some Preacher, Green arrow,Wonder Woman and Marvel Essentials as well.
    Punisher Max too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭RAMAN

Borrowing comics/books from the Library. I wonder if the music industry would ever consider this kind of set up? Maybe not!:(

RAMAN wrote: »
    Borrowing comics/books from the Library. I wonder if the music industry would ever consider this kind of set up? Maybe not!:(

Do libraries not do that here? Shows how long its been since I've been into an irish library. I know all the libraries in New York had a section for music CD's and one for DVD's, guess I just thought it was the same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Do libraries not do that here? Shows how long its been since I've been into an irish library. I know all the libraries in New York had a section for music CD's and one for DVD's, guess I just thought it was the same here.

So do the council ones in London. Does the Cork City Library not have a pretty comprehensive music section?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

So do the council ones in London. Does the Cork City Library not have a pretty comprehensive music section?

Yes, although you have to pay a (very modest) additional fee to have access to it. It's pretty decently stocked though and well worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 fingermouse_irl

Hi, I'm new to the boards. Waterford City Library has a decent selection of graphic novels. Loads of Batman, Judge Dredd, Strontium Dog, Star Wars, Buffy and more.
    They also stock plenty of music CDs and movies. I think the CDs and DVDs are a one week rental where the comics and books are for three weeks. No extra charge on your account either. All part of the yearly subscription.

RAMAN wrote: »

For info.

Music CDs & DVDs are available to borrow from Blanchardstown Library.

Hi, I'm new to the boards. Waterford City Library has a decent selection of graphic novels. Loads of Batman, Judge Dredd, Strontium Dog, Star Wars, Buffy and more.
    They also stock plenty of music CDs and movies. I think the CDs and DVDs are a one week rental where the comics and books are for three weeks. No extra charge on your account either. All part of the yearly subscription.

For info.

There is no charge to join Blanchardstown Library.

Books, CDs & DVDs can all be borrowed for 3 weeks.

Prints/Framed pictures can be borrowed for 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Yesterday I borrowed Maus and Judge Dredd: Justice One from my local library.
    I'll comment on them later, but so far I'm loving Maus to bits, and the Dredd story was entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Grievous

That's handy to know about the library in the ilac center, I would be very interested in barrowing some Graphic novels to read. There are plenty of comics I am curious about but can't afford to always buy them. I have most of the classics, This would be worth a look, I would love to find something new and fresh that i have not read before.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

I know this is a 2 month old thread but i felt i needed to say that both the Tallaght library and the ballyroan library in Dublin have siginificantly increased the amount of graphic novels they have,with the ballyroan one gettin in a lot of latest graphic novels in from dc,image marvel darkhorse etc. I went in today to ballyroan and the women told i can take out 15 of em cos theyre trying to get more shelf space for the rest,apparently they have a few boxes of them in storage because they have no more room for them.

So if more people borrow them then there will be more put out :D I really wanna see what more they have there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Dublin City Libraries do as well, Central Library in the Ilac has a music library in it. Malahide library has a good selection as well.

In the library I worked in, I didn't see one of them get taken on loan while I was there. But now I'm a librarian things are gonna change!

For info.: Blanchardstown Library has added "The Walking Dead" series to its Graphic Novel Collection. :)

Advertisement