Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving out of a Fixed Mortgage - Advice?

Options
  • 23-02-2009 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    I am currently on a 4.9% fixed mortgage rate (3 year term) with about 1&half years paid.. My repayments are in the region of 900 P/M. With interest rates at an all time low I am wondering should I break the 3 years fixed and switch to a lower interest rate. Has anyone been through this lately and if so what are the costs involved?

Legal Fees € =
    Get out of Fixed Term € =
    Broker fees etc etc.

If someone could give a rough estimate on the price of moving or advice on whether or not I should move I would be grateful.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

It will cost you more to get out of it than you will save by doing so.

Thats what you signed up to: interest rates go up and you save money / interest rates go down and you lose money.

Focus on the word 'fixed'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

Ok, its a start but if intrest rates are down as low as 2% then surely there's some hope of it being better in the long run??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Contact your bank/mortgage broker and ask how much it will cost to move from fixed term to tracker or variable.

Most likely, it will cost you more to get out of the 3 year contract than it would to wait the extra 1 1/5 years and then change.

Your bank/mortgage broker are the best people to discuss it with, since they will have actual figures to show you.

Advertisement