Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

charging scanner

Options
  • 23-02-2009 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

hey i have a bearcat ubc220xlt,iv lost the original charger but managed to get another one from a different bearcat,it just dosent seem to be doing anything
    does anyone know if theres something on screen to show its charging?
    it also says in the manual it can be used while charging but if i plug the charger into when it is on the screen goes blank,now if i turn it on it just goes off again!
    cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

First thing you need to do is check the voltage and polarity of the new charger you have against what is required by the radio. Don't plug it in or switch it on again until you're sure they match. The voltage and polarity should be marked on the charger itself, and beside the socket on the radio also.

What type of batteries does that scanner take? Is it a battery pack specific to the radio, or standard cells like AAs? Is the radio still working when the charger is not plugged in? The other possibility is that the battery pack/batteries is/are past it, in which case you'll need to replace it/them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

PauloMN wrote: »
    First thing you need to do is check the voltage and polarity of the new charger you have against what is required by the radio. Don't plug it in or switch it on again until you're sure they match. The voltage and polarity should be marked on the charger itself, and beside the socket on the radio also.

What type of batteries does that scanner take? Is it a battery pack specific to the radio, or standard cells like AAs? Is the radio still working when the charger is not plugged in? The other possibility is that the battery pack/batteries is/are past it, in which case you'll need to replace it/them.

cheers for the help,
    it says input:220v 50hz output:dc 12v 500mA6va

but the bottom of the scanner just says 12v dc

it has a battery pack from a different scanner in it (didnt know that when i originally posted) it has a battery pack which by the look of it is 4 aa batteries,i think i might be better trying to get the original charger online:confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Ok so the voltage of the transformer is correct. What about the polarity? They are usually centre positive, but sometimes they aren't.

Should be something like this on the scanner and transformer:

polarity.png

Assuming the voltage and polarity are correct, is the scanner doing anything at all with the transformer plugged in and the scanner switched on?

If not, your transformer might be broken. Have you still got the original
    car power lead so you can see if the scanner still functions?

The only other thing I can think of is that maybe the jack plug on the transformer doesn't match the socket on the scanner. I've seen cases where the plug looks correct but isn't an exact match for the socket, and can result in a poor connection

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

PauloMN wrote: »
    Ok so the voltage of the transformer is correct. What about the polarity? They are usually centre positive, but sometimes they aren't.

Should be something like this on the scanner and transformer:

polarity.png

Assuming the voltage and polarity are correct, is the scanner doing anything at all with the transformer plugged in and the scanner switched on?

If not, your transformer might be broken. Have you still got the original
    car power lead so you can see if the scanner still functions?

The only other thing I can think of is that maybe the jack plug on the transformer doesn't match the socket on the scanner. I've seen cases where the plug looks correct but isn't an exact match for the socket, and can result in a poor connection

cheers,it has that symbol on the the charger but not on the scanner!
    when i plug it in while the scanner is on the screen goes blank,i can hear a slight noise from it but it does nothing,this is a connection on the end of the charger im using so maybe thats dodgy as you say,

i got a loan of a battery pack for it which was charged and that worked fine so at least its not the scanner thats the problem,

i assumed they stopped making them years ago,but there still for sale on the web,so i might just order a new charger if i can get one
    thanks again for the help

Advertisement