Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another bladder/kidney infection?

Options
  • 23-02-2009 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Ok so I have an app at the vets tomorrow but would like some feedback from here

My dog is 2 and neutered vaccinated chipped etc.
    (I got him when he was 6months old as a rescue dog from travellers)
    The first few months i had him he had a few bladder infections and was in poor health but has been great since

Lately hes been drinking loads of water so much so he sometimes gets sick afterwards
    He also pees more and needs to go out 2-3 times at night (he was able to hold it before)

Last night I got up to go to the bathroom and called him to let him out but he didnt make it he peed all he way to the door and then a pool as i was opening the door
    He came back in and started to gulp loads of water so i just called his name and he went off to bed.
    At about 5 am I woke up to find him asleep with a pool of pee around him
    (He sleeps in my bed) He even seems to be leaking a bit of pee sometimes

This is nothing like when he had the infections before so i think ts something more serious even thought hes so young

I just feel so bad as its obvious hes embarrassed and doesnt understand whats happening
    I dont want to make him sleep in his crate as he like to be as near to us as possible and its not his fault

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭merryhappy

Poor little fella.

My dog suffers form UTI's, she often gets struvites(crystals) building up in her bladder which cause great discomfort.

She now is on a prescribed diet but still gets the odd infection. I get her urine tested every couple of months to make sure there is no sign of infection.

Sounds like a pretty nasty infection your litle man has, it is more common in females I believe so your fella is especially unlucky..

Try and get a sample from his first wee in the morning(if your vet appointment is early) the sample shouldn't be lying around all day, it should be as 'fresh' as possible. The vet will do a urine culture test and you should request a sensitivity test also as this will help to determine the correct antibiotic to fight his infection.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I've had great success in treating dogs with chronic bladder infections with Apple Cider Vinegar. It shown to be useful in the prevention of bladder and kidney stones, bladder and kidney infections.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Ok your little fella has something strange going on. Everything you said here say the exact same to the vet tomorrow. It could be a weak bladder,poor sphincter control,diabetes(excessive thirst) or uroliths. Let us know how you get on, but its not normal for a 2 yr old dog so needs to be investigated more thoroughly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Roxy87

Everything I looked up on the internet is to do with older dogs , kidney failure, diabetes incontinence etc. and as i said its nothing like when he had infections before

I doubt Id be able to get him to take A.C.V as hes picky about what he eats ( I have him on burns chicken and brown rice and will only eat it if hes extremely hungry)

He also pees submissively when my boyfriend comes home from work , or if a strange man comes in he barks and pees
    He used to do it with me but i stopped greeting him till he calmed down and it seemed to work but no matter how long my boyfriend lets him calm down he still does it and he makes wierd groans like he gets some relief from it :confused:

Oh and he had another accident this evening :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Roxy87 wrote: »
    Everything I looked up on the internet is to do with older dogs , kidney failure, diabetes incontinence etc.
    Dont google health problems..the net is a nightmare for this. Any animal of any age can have multiple health problems that you think would only be associated with older age.
    wrote:
    He also pees submissively when my boyfriend comes home from work , or if a strange man comes in he barks and pees
    Normal-ish! Thats a behavioural thing. A nervous or ultra submissive animal will let out a little urine to show submissiveness. This is ok. The level of urination you're talking about isnt. A healthy happy dog,even if untrained should be able to control its bladder, your fella doesnt seem to be able to do it. Which is evident of your last comment
    wrote:
    Oh and he had another accident this evening :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Roxy87

The vet thinks he has a kidney infection - I couldnt get a sample as he got too excited when he knew he was going in the car . Im dropping one down in the morning for her to test and hes on antibiotics and got an injection just in case it is an infection
    She couldnt feel his kidneys as he was too tense (he hates the vets)

So far he has had no accidents but is still gulping down the water

Advertisement