Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asset Management, What do you use?

Options
  • 23-02-2009 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi all,

I have quick one for you, I was wondering if any of you are using a asset management tool to keep track of the hardware you have in use and if so what tool you are using.

Ideally the tool I'm looking for would allow me to create custom fields, have a way of tracking when the maintenance or warranty expires, and as absolute bonus it maybe would even integrate somehow with Dell hardware...

I'd be interested to hear what you guys have to say or think.

\Knuger

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Alzar

Knuger wrote: »
    ....Ideally the tool I'm looking for would allow me to create custom fields, have a way of tracking when the maintenance or warranty expires, and as absolute bonus it maybe would even integrate somehow with Dell hardware...

We are using Novell's Zenworks Asset Management product.
    http://www.novell.com/products/zenworks/assetmanagement/overview.html

It does all that you've asked for & more, read the info in the link above.

The product is not AD integrated like M$ SCCM 2007 or SMS.
    After using both SCCM & ZAM, SCCM 2007 gets my vote. I find it an easier product to configure & use.

Jus' my 2c.

Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

SMS & MOM, currently testing SCCM & SCOM with a view to upgrading next week (once the frigging DB guys get me a copy of SQL 2008!!!)

IMO they are the mutts nuts once you put the time in at the start configuring them properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Alzar

OP

If you do go down the SMS or SCCM 2007 route
    vinylbomb wrote: »
    ....once you put the time in at the start configuring them properly.
    This is critical to a successful deployment. Do it "right" from the off & you'll be sorted.

After using both the Novell & Microsoft offering, I prefer the M$ one. Plus SCCM gives an awful lot more features than just Asset Management but thats for a different thread, possibly.

Al.

Advertisement