Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BelfieldFM

Options
  • 23-02-2009 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

We're going on FM soon (97.3):D:D:D.

Anyone have any ideas of how we can attract more listeners or what would make you listen to us? Any suggestions/criticisms welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭samsamson

Posters advertising the station... To the best of my knowledge I've never had my attention grabbed by BelfieldFM and have never listened to it. You'll need to give people a reason to switch over from 104/spin/phantom etc. What that reason could be is beyond me!

Maybe try and push the fact that you have less ads than other stations or something? Only if you do indeed have less ads, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭kev_s88

get it piped through the college somehow....the main problem is that not many people want to listen to it or know about it....but if its forced on us then maybe we'll grow to enjoy it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭poker-jacks

Had a bit of a listen there.. You probably need to work on the basics first like levels. One of the presenters mics was on too low, the other way too loud. Encourage presenters to script shows or use pointers - afterall, they don't need to stick to the script but prevents gaps an ehhhhhhs.

Like the choice of music though.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

Make sure you have the ability to attract beyond not only students of UCD but students of all universities and the national audiences at large.For a radio station to become a success,it is all advertising,advertising,advertising.But make sure you have quality instead of quantity.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

bring back mark and ciarán's breakfast show. that was the funniest thing ever, used to listen to it every tuesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gingy

Thank you all for your advice, hopefully we can take some of it on board.
    samsamson wrote: »
    Posters advertising the station... To the best of my knowledge I've never had my attention grabbed by BelfieldFM and have never listened to it. You'll need to give people a reason to switch over from 104/spin/phantom etc. What that reason could be is beyond me!

Maybe try and push the fact that you have less ads than other stations or something? Only if you do indeed have less ads, of course.

We don't have any ads and in the last few weeks we've put up posters, i.e. Obama, teletubies etc...
    kev_s88 wrote: »
    get it piped through the college somehow....the main problem is that not many people want to listen to it or know about it....but if its forced on us then maybe we'll grow to enjoy it :D

That's something which we'd love, but it can't happen. Even if we could get it on those screens in 911, instead of stupid bubble hits, would be great.
    Had a bit of a listen there.. You probably need to work on the basics first like levels. One of the presenters mics was on too low, the other way too loud. Encourage presenters to script shows or use pointers - afterall, they don't need to stick to the script but prevents gaps an ehhhhhhs.

Like the choice of music though.

I admitt basic planning is needed, but scripting shows just sounds too fake.
    GobBass wrote: »
    Make sure you have the ability to attract beyond not only students of UCD but students of all universities and the national audiences at large.For a radio station to become a success,it is all advertising,advertising,advertising.But make sure you have quality instead of quantity.:D

Unfortunately other colleges also have their own radio stations. We don't really have the funds for a major advertising drive.
    bring back mark and ciarán's breakfast show. that was the funniest thing ever, used to listen to it every tuesday.

Mark and Ciarán left by their own accord. They're welcome back.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭samsamson

About scripting shows...

Anytime I have ever seen a radio DJ on air (whether in that glass bubble in the stephens green centre, or the fm104 road hog or whatever), they are always reading from notes. It doesn't need to be set out like "Hi paul." "Hello James." But having notes on the topics that need to be covered, bullet points on those topics or whatever could be handy. Or a few key facts to spout off about a band whose song your playing for the first time or something. Any kind of stalling, long pauses, "ehh"'s and "ummm"'s would make me switch over almost instantly. It's just not pleasant to listen to, and gives off a very amateurish impression.

I'd suggest reconsidering the 'scripting' situation if the problems which poker-jacks mentioned are cropping up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Gingy wrote: »

Anyone have any ideas of how we can attract more listeners or what would make you listen to us? Any suggestions/criticisms welcome.
    Try to get it played in the student centre/ restaurant/ elements or the gym. If people hear it in these places, they'll tune in elsewhere if they think its any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

What about the webcam. Good idea, bad idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭kev_s88

hey guys listen out between 6 and 7pm next tuesday if you can :D me and some of my friends should be performing some live music and generally having a laugh...btw i actually have nothing to do with the radio so dont ask for details, was just approached tonight and asked to do it :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

That's something which we'd love, but it can't happen. Even if we could get it on those screens in 911, instead of stupid bubble hits, would be great.

I used to work in the Library shop and I could guarantee you that if you asked one of the older staff there to leave it one for a few weeks they would

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Bubs101 wrote: »
    I used to work in the Library shop and I could guarantee you that if you asked one of the older staff there to leave it one for a few weeks they would

Will put it on there tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Don't play Rihanna Disturbia a million times, basically don't be mainstream whores.

Unless you want to attract the Spin listeners. Go right ahead in that case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 FionnBaguh

Get decent presenters. The current crop are crap

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Would the student centre re-tune the radio there for you?

Advertisement