Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So there may be changes to the law

• 23-02-2009 8:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭

Heard on the news today that there may be a NCT Test every year for motors over 10 years in the pipeline.

May also be changes to rules for tinted windows and exhausts.

I got the impression that the changes in the future for motors will be focused at the modified car scene.

What everyones opinion on all this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Me personally i was impartial to this untill i heard the news on the radio, minister for transport saying that the 8 new items to be tested are for safety and to stop more road deaths, can someone please explain to me how tinted windows or a louder exhaust make someone more likley to make someone kill someone, its utter nonsense if you ask me, and as for the test every year i think its a good idea, with the current test rules, if its a good car then there'll be no problems but if your car fails it shouldn't be on the road!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭enviro

I agree the yearly test is a good idea, isn't the English version (mot) a yearly event?

For some reason I think the Government is trying to put the squeeze on the modified car scene. Ok thats understandable as there may be alot of complaints about late night driving and "meets" in certain areas causing locals to complain to guards but come on its not life treatening stuff.

Pity they dont focus their efforts on the drugs and drunken muppets you see out at the weekends. The real important issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 panelb/sprayer

i heard about that alright that it is suppose to happen but it is all a money racket.one year for a nct that is mad .why dont the government make a track some where so the people are takin off the road and put onto a track i heard there is a place in donegal some where ? let me know.... the guards are even banning lexis lights now and sun strips over the windows come on that is bad people paying out money and then all of a sudden a year later down the line money is in the drain.i think this is a shame to all of us who like cars and like to do up cars if you think about it it id like our second home its free dom as well .hope im right saying all this done take me up wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Me personally i was impartial to this untill i heard the news on the radio, minister for transport saying that the 8 new items to be tested are for safety and to stop more road deaths, can someone please explain to me how tinted windows or a louder exhaust make someone more likley to make someone kill someone, its utter nonsense if you ask me, and as for the test every year i think its a good idea, with the current test rules, if its a good car then there'll be no problems but if your car fails it shouldn't be on the road!

Tinted windows are more a personal safety risk, if you cant see into the car you cant see who's in it or what there doing, the garda cant identify drivers in cars with tinted windows and they cant see if there on the phone or even in this mad day and age if they have a weapon on them in the car.

Exhaust noises are just general noise pollution, its meant to be a 99db limit which is perfect anything higher is taking the piss on a road car

i heard about that alright that it is suppose to happen but it is all a money racket.one year for a nct that is mad .why dont the government make a track some where so the people are takin off the road and put onto a track i heard there is a place in donegal some where ? let me know.... the guards are even banning lexis lights now and sun strips over the windows come on that is bad people paying out money and then all of a sudden a year later down the line money is in the drain.i think this is a shame to all of us who like cars and like to do up cars if you think about it it id like our second home its free dom as well .hope im right saying all this done take me up wrong.

Lexus lights were always illegal as there not made to comply with regulation standards for rear lights, they were made cheaply for car shows and it states on 3rd party lexus lights that there not to be used for road use, I'm glad to hear the Garda are clamping down on them because some of the lexus lights I've seen are dangerous, you cant see the brakes in certain light and indicators flash all wrong.

Sun visors the same, your allowed a small one to block out the sun but I've seen some ridicolous ones that obviously block the drivers view significantly again a driving hazard.

Here is the RSA publication on the proposed changes and information on how you can email them with your concerns or opinions on the proposals

http://www.rsa.ie/publication/publication/upload/NCT%20Consultation%20Paper%202009%20FINAL%20ROB200209.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

my windows are completely blackened all around and even though i love them to bits i must say that at night you cant see anything out of them, especially if you're turning into a bend or something so I can understand where they are coming from on that side of things

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

dont really see anything wrong with loud pipes. Every year for the test is only a money racket but its not a bad idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Hope they start giving pen points to those r3tards with the loud exhausts!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Hope they start giving pen points to those r3tards with the loud exhausts!

:rolleyes:

Dont really have any objections to the new rules, and I think the 10 years over yearly nct is great.
    draffodx wrote: »
    and indicators flash all wrong.

Thats fecking dangerous. Tho I've seen it more in standard rear lights than the lexus lights. I say in the last week I have came across 10 cars/vans with that problem. One van when it would indicated it was the bloody brake lights flashing, you couldnt even see him braking due to the brake light going on and off, if it were someone not paying attetion it could end pretty bad.
    Then another car for some reason the reversing lights were flashing and no indicator at all. Im wouldnt be surprised if they never check any of their lights on the car/van.

/small rant:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Mk3Mad

Nt sure bout this, I think there is some sort of regulation about wheel sizes, alloys and tyres are no allowed exceed the origional wheel and tyre size, I suppose this is to stop cars with rediculously big wheels, but I dnt see a problem with them, I kno on my car the make it a lot safer, 205s grip a lot better than 175s :)
    Also heard something bout non standard seats nd steerin wheels failin NCTs, dnt c a problem with them myself as long as they are properly fitted :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Mk3Mad wrote: »
    Nt sure bout this, I think there is some sort of regulation about wheel sizes, alloys and tyres are no allowed exceed the origional wheel and tyre size, I suppose this is to stop cars with rediculously big wheels, but I dnt see a problem with them, I kno on my car the make it a lot safer, 205s grip a lot better than 175s :)
    Also heard something bout non standard seats nd steerin wheels failin NCTs, dnt c a problem with them myself as long as they are properly fitted :)

cant see how that would work?

my GF civic came standard with 16" wheels but there was an option for 17" too.

i'd say it would be more to do with tyre width not exceeding the body etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    Thats fecking dangerous. Tho I've seen it more in standard rear lights than the lexus lights. I say in the last week I have came across 10 cars/vans with that problem. One van when it would indicated it was the bloody brake lights flashing, you couldnt even see him braking due to the brake light going on and off, if it were someone not paying attetion it could end pretty bad.
    Then another car for some reason the reversing lights were flashing and no indicator at all. Im wouldnt be surprised if they never check any of their lights on the car/van.
    /small rant:)

The main reason for this happening seems to be shoddy workmanship, as in incorrectly wired when a car has been smashed from behind, you will very seldom see it it cars under 2 years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭TheElf

kceire wrote: »
    i'd say it would be more to do with tyre width not exceeding the body etc etc

I think so, as far as I know the tyre of a car can't stick out wider than the body.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

18" way to big! 16" tbh you will loose performence and economy if you use any bigger!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Sorry to drag up an old thread but I broke my phone reasontly and was given my old mans ancient Nokia that has a sound meter, so I decided to see how loud my exhaust was.

Now im sure its not 100% accurate but my readings were ranging from ~70dB at idle to >115dB (phone won't read any higher) at 8500 RPM.

Im assuming (hoping!) they won't rev the crap out of it if the proposed <99dB rule comes in?

Anyone else have any results for reference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

B00MSTICK wrote: »
    Sorry to drag up an old thread but I broke my phone reasontly and was given my old mans ancient Nokia that has a sound meter, so I decided to see how loud my exhaust was.

Now im sure its not 100% accurate but my readings were ranging from ~70dB at idle to >115dB (phone won't read any higher) at 8500 RPM.

Im assuming (hoping!) they won't rev the crap out of it if the proposed <99dB rule comes in?

Anyone else have any results for reference?

Its lower than 99db

And a nokia isnt a calibrated db meter.

TBH if i fitted an exhaust id ring them and ask to call in to have it tested by them(the guardai). Better to pre-empt this kind of thing.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

The main reason for this happening seems to be shoddy workmanship, as in incorrectly wired when a car has been smashed from behind, you will very seldom see it it cars under 2 years old.

Not always. I've seen this a lot in mostly new cars [less than 5 years old] who've never been hit from behind, 90% of the time it turns out to be a bad earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭jmck87

:eek: a test every year for >10 yr old cars???

ANYONE who thinks this is necessary to 'save lives' is stupid. And if you need me to qualify that with bullet points you are even stupider.

We would all do well in business if we could make our product/services a legal requirement :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Im very sure that 99.9% of crashes is not due to the car been defective. Its more of a money scame then facing the real problems that cause deaths on our roads. And in this time the Gov need as much money as they can get.
    And people will get rid of their cars (well some) cause of the yearly test, and if they go and buy a new car = more money for the Gov. And that is the real issue here i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

I'd be inclined to agree, i don't think safety is the issue i think they're just on a money spinner trying to refill the coffers with NCT fees and VRT for people that don't want the hassle

Advertisement