Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help sourcing ingredients!! Dublin

• 23-02-2009 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi,

I need to source the following ingredients and am not having much luck so far. I'm in Dublin.

• Fresh yellow cornmeal (not dried)
    • agar powder - have flakes
    • Mace
    • Anise seeds
    • Rapadura (raw sugar)
    Thanks all!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Why would you need agar powder? the flakes should be fine, you know it is just a gelatine type susbtance, usually dissolved in hot water, so flakes are fine if that is what it is being used for. Otherwise you could chop if finely. I got agar powder, but had to buy it online from a microbiology supply place.

Mace is just the outer shell of nutmeg, so nutmeg might do in its place, not sure if you use more or less. I have seen it in supermarkets and asian stores. (agar is also in asian stores.)

Anise seeds can be got in asian supermarkets. I have seen star anise in supermarkets, not sure if it is the exact same.

Dunno about the sugar one, you can get proper unrefined cane sugar in supermarkets & health shops, I expect that would be similar enough.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapadura

Advertisement