Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones Theatre

Options
  • 23-02-2009 8:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Anybody know anything about the theatre enforcing a members only policy now? i saw a poster about it last time it was there but can't vaguely remember what it said, are they gonna charge for extra for membership now or wha? I'm not really complaining as the place is an absolute joke but its nice to have a bitta variety.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Anybody know anything about the theatre enforcing a members only policy now? i saw a poster about it last time it was there but can't vaguely remember what it said, are they gonna charge for extra for membership now or wha? I'm not really complaining as the place is an absolute joke but its nice to have a bitta variety.

harsh words there Fillmore - what's your problem with the place?

there was a change to the licensing laws recently that abolished the late-night exemption for theatres. maybe the membership thing is some way around that - presumably you can buy membership on the night though?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

Have to say Ithink the theatre is great. They have some good acts in there and staff all very friendly and professional, never waiting too long at the bar. What more could you want :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

ahh its a nice place and all but that said its wayyyyyyyy to expensive. €15 in some nights just to hear a dj playing saturday night fever and the bar's a bit of a rip off as well not a great selection either . there's places in town that would be cheaper than the theatre, but sure that's too far away:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭wingding

What's the age group like in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Son of Jack

Greystones Theatre is the best thing to happen to Greystones since the coming of the railway in 1855!

The people who run it seem very community minded. I refer to their major involvement in the scaled down Greystones Festival of last summer.

I have great admiration for them. It is an ambitious and brave enterprise.

I am very happy that my teenagers go to gigs there and not have them heading off to Dublin.

Any dealings I've had with them (community related) they have been very helpful.

I think they deserve our support and they have mine.

• Advertisement

I am very happy that my teenagers go to gigs there and not have them heading off to Dublin.
    QUOTE]

Think that answers my question! Same as Script so! Hopefully if the rumours of the Charlesland bar opening are true it'll pull an older crowd....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

But that's actualy gigs she's talking about.
    I was there a couple of months ago, I was probably the youngest there, I'm 22. There was an older crowd there.. later 20s/early/late 30's

Heading there on friday actually... although it is for an 18th..:D

But that's actualy gigs she's talking about.
    I was there a couple of months ago, I was probably the youngest there, I'm 22. There was an older crowd there.. later 20s/early/late 30's

Heading there on friday actually... although it is for an 18th..:D

Oh well I might try it sometime then. I went to Script before and t'was very young. Nothing wrong with that it just makes me feel old when I'm chatted up by someone 10 years younger than me. Makes me feel very Mrs Robinson! :P

Apologies, for any confusion my reply caused.

Yes my teenagers go to gigs there but it is on Sunday during daylight hours :) Very happy not to be doing the taxi collection service in the early hours of the morning, that I used have to do before the advent of the theatre, when it was into Dublin, they went.

My understanding is that attendance at other events is a mixed age group. It does of course depend on the nature of the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

I totally disagree that its a rip-off?! Where else in Ireland could you see someone like e.g. Duke Special for €16?? And anyway even if clubs in town were free youd still spend and arm and a leg getting there and back again.

I think its a fantastic venue, the age-group isnt teenyboppers at all (at least not to any of the gigs I've been to, cant speak for the regular disco nights).

• Advertisement

eleMental wrote: »
    I totally disagree that its a rip-off?! Where else in Ireland could you see someone like e.g. Duke Special for €16?? And anyway even if clubs in town were free youd still spend and arm and a leg getting there and back again.

I think its a fantastic venue, the age-group isnt teenyboppers at all (at least not to any of the gigs I've been to, cant speak for the regular disco nights).

what? €7 on the finnegan night link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭boggerboy

Not sure it's everybody's cup of tea but just found out that "Ordinary Man - tribute to Christy Moore" is booked in the Theatre for March 17th - yup, St Patrick's night. I saw this guy play a few months ago in the theatre and it was great, proper musician and tells his own funny tales a la Christy, anyway, just thought I'd let ye know!

ps its a tenner in, not sure who or how many support acts yet..if i hear i'll update

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 KRose18

The member policy is being enforced as there are too many under eighteen's using fake idea and causing trouble.

At the risk of repeating myself I think Greystones Theatre is a great asset to the area.

I hasten to add I've no connection with it other than attending there sometimes with some folk I work with.

I really admire the thinking of the people who run it. These are recessionary times. Running any business at the moment is challenging. They have space in the centre of town. What do they do with it? Think creatively that's what!

Just saw their new listings today.

Starting their own Gospel Choir, running their own musical, providing a venue for piano, guitar and percussion classes. There's yoga, dance and baby massage etc. etc. etc.

Ok what is on in the strictly theatre sense is limited. I think I am safe in assuming, that they find there really isn't a demand.

So what do they do instead? A real case of 'thinking outside the box'.

P.s The membership is free of charge and the DJ nights have never been 15 euro always 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

well theoretically its not free-free as you do have to include 2 x passport photos with the application! idve done it weeks ago if it werent for that bit!!

i know its a minor point but still! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭neets

here, here son of jack. was given a leaflet yesterday at the parade and was really impressed at the diverse range of activities. what a great facility to have on our doorstep. looking forward to david kitt.

Thats true but the theatre doesn't get the money lol:D

Picked up my copy at the parade too :) Was struck that everything was reasonably priced too.

To be honest I was a bit perturbed that the OP was being negative - and that the negativity then seemed without foundation.

Seemed unfair :(

Picked up my copy at the parade too :) Was struck that everything was reasonably priced too.

To be honest I was a bit perturbed that the OP was being negative - and that the negativity then seemed without foundation.

Seemed unfair :(

It's called having an opinion. You're obviously a big fan of the theatre: fair play to you. I, on the other hand, find it extremely expensive and don't understand why they would have such a small selection at the bar and charge the price they do. As I said, I think it's a nice place and all, and it's great to see a business do well in these times, but that doesn't change the fact that I think it's unnessacarily expensive (that's negative in my eyes) and that they could lower their prices.

• Advertisement

the place is an absolute joke

Certainly I see it was an opinion; 'a judgement without proof or certainty'

But surely to call the place 'an absolute joke' was a bit strong

I'll be a big fan of anything that makes Greystones a better place to live in

and to my mind Greystones Theatre does.

We'll have to agree to differ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jclare56

I was at the greystones theatre for an 80's night a few weeks ago and felt well and truely ripped off - 10 euros is a bit steep in as were the prices at the bar. i don mind paying for a drink but when teh bar service is that bad it shoudl be free. also the laser machine wasnt working. que trek down town to bank machine...

i also had a bad experience with the bouncers who asked me for id (last time i was asked was abotu 8 years ago) and almost didnt let me in as i wasnt a 'regular'..... after about ten minutes of protesting my age he reluctantly let me in. didnt make for a good atmosphere or a relaxing night.

no wonder it only filled up when the other pubs closed at half 12..... i dont think ill be going back any time soon!! i dont go out to be ripped off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭waves

I see that Andrew Maxwell is playing there next month.

€18 a pop which is cheaper than €28 in vicar st

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jclare56

heya,

that is cheaper alright and its great they are getting good acts to play there, but for me the saving just isnt worth the hassle - hope your experience will be better than mine :D

Advertisement