Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Dunnes Shirt Shrank

Options
  • 23-02-2009 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

My dad got a shirt from Dunnes at Christmas but didn't get around to wearing it until lately. He only wore it once and it was washed once, hand washed because its purple, it then shrank.
    At the week end we returned to Dunnes with it and were told that because we didn't follow care instructions (it said the 40 wash in a machine) there was nothing they could do. I can see where they are coming from, but the manager was really unpleasant and just kept repeating that "people didn't realise that hand washing was more aggressive to clothes that machine washing", which to me sounds ridiculous. I'm just wondering has anyone else had any such experiences, or any idea if there is anything i can do.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭DenMan

Hi OP

Had a similar thing happen to me a few years ago. A shirt did shrink in the wash. I should have brought it back but I didn't. Ended up giving it to my brother and it hasn't shrank in subsequent washes since. I remember somebody saying that the standard of clothes is better in Penneys than Dunnes. They are all mass produced and susceptible to extreme temperatures during washes.

Didn't bring it back because I wanted to avoid a confrontation with the manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Really? it shrank. What did you expect them to do? Did you have a receipt? You didn't follow the instructions. For all they know, you could have washed it at 80degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

When anybody returns something handwashed to me the first thing I ask is did they ware rubber gloves, usually this indicated how hot the water is. (Ok maybe they have sensitive hands!!) 40degrees is colder than a bath remember.

On the other hand I can't speak for Dunnes, but anywhere I've worked you could look up a product profile for an Item and if it had been returned for the same complaint a few times yoiu would always take it back.
    The same item would probably be remove from sale soon anyway.

Did they measure it against another shirt to see if it did shrink?

Whats the make up, did it have viscous in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

Most if not all textile garments will shrink when in contact with water. The acceptable levels of shrinkage is 6% of a garment's original size i.e. when it is washed as per care label.
    Unfortunately in your case, you did not adhere to the washing instructions. It is probable that you hand-washed the garment at a higher temperature than 40 degrees, thus your shrinkage problem.
    Therefore the manager is more than likely right. However he is wrong if he dealt with you in an unpleasant manner & it should be pointed out to him or indeed to his superiors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

In many cases its the tumble drier/drying on the radiator that causes the shrinkage and not necessarily the wash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

Gyalist wrote: »
    In many cases its the tumble drier/drying on the radiator that causes the shrinkage and not necessarily the wash.

That's true too. The common denominator is excessive heat.
    The OP never mentioned the drying method, just the washing method - so assumed that the srying was as per care label.

Advertisement