Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

70 year old colour photo's - stunning stuff.

• 23-02-2009 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/11275?cnn=yes

Possibly it's the simple fact that for some reason when i think of photo's that old i always think of B&W ( i blame history books in school ) these just really struck me as being quite incredible.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Id love to know if any of the kids in the photos are still alive.. they would be about 80 now..

Really nice pictures all the same.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

I'd be happy if i could take those photos nowadays :)
    awesome stuff
    thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Great photos, good find!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

These are great.... and I imagine no post processing either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

phenomenal pictures imo. I would love to be able to produce something like that myself right now. Absolutely stunning.

Thanks for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Not into the very posed ones but love the rest and love the colour of teh day, so much reminds me of my Lightroom pictures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Love the shot of yer man with the giant corkscrew, sky looks very cool.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

thanks for finding these ......... amazing tones -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

Are these real? They're beautiful. The colours are so rich, the lighting is wonderful. My favourite has to be the boilermaker, the lighting is fantastic and the face could be from any era.
    Thanks for the linky!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

They look amazing - must have cost a fortune per image so I very much doubt many of they images weren't "set up" in some way, AR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Stunning pics. Capturing a long gone period of American life . :)

How good would it be if there were as good quality photographs of the same era from Ireland?

How good would it be if there were as good quality photographs of the same era from Ireland?
    I am guessing there are possibly some hidden away someplace that just haven't being discovered yet .

latchyco wrote: »
    I am guessing there are possibly some hidden away someplace that just haven't being discovered yet .

I'd like to think so at least. I have a few shots of my grandparents when they were teenagers during WWII, really small, worn away little photographs but there's still something great about them. If you look on the flickr page there's photos of funfairs and people working their land and stuff, I'd love to see pictures like that of Ireland back then.

I'd like to think so at least. I have a few shots of my grandparents when they were teenagers during WWII, really small, worn away little photographs but there's still something great about them. If you look on the flickr page there's photos of funfairs and people working their land and stuff, I'd love to see pictures like that of Ireland back then.
    Intresting . Great snaps indeed. I often think people throw and have thrown out of family /landscape snaps ,colour and black and white, thinking they will be of no intrest to anybody but forgetting in all innocence, they are capturing history .The pictures of 60s dublin ( in another thread ) taken by an American visitor to Dublin, in 1960 were very intresting .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

The sheppard, his dog and horse has to be my favourite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Brilliant find I love the depth in some of the shots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

They're pretty amazing. 1940's so it's probably kodachrome, which you can still get today unchanged (although there's only one place in the world which still processes it). It would have been pretty slow (probably around asa 10 or so) so I'd say they're all posed, certainly the indoor ones would have been.

-edit- At the risk of being accused of schilling for 7dayshop (I've no connection with the place, I just get all my film there) ...
    http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_1&products_id=6175

Thats the current incarnation of kodachrome. Includes processing in the price so It's actually surprisingly cheap, for a bunch of transparencies that are likely to last considerably longer than you will :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

amazing !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Great selection of shots, cheers for sharing them. Really impressive stuff.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

some lovely shots there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭FinoBlad

wow these are fantastic, thanks for posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭JOHN_70

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭La La

amazing pictures, genuine and honest.

so many people today turn to photoshop to screw with their pictures, so it's always nice to see images that are great for being great. the last one and the one of the man working with the sky behind him are wonderful.

Advertisement