Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old B+B across from Deevy's in town

• 23-02-2009 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hi all

Does anybody know anything about that old B+B in town?

Every time i pass i take a look, theres a curtain slighly across and it looks like a fine mess, also the paint thats around the sills is coming off and the curtains are very dirty dark colour, my guess is the owner is still alive and lives there but is very old, the front door is clean enough though and is a fine black colour.

I also feel kinda sad looking at it, all the stories it could tell ye like of people coming and going!

Anyway enough of that sentimental jibber jabber I was on my bike tonight and as i passed by low and behold upstairs was a good band playing very loud i could just about see the drummer, that was about 7.30 tonight

Anybody know what the story is with this place?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

the owners are alive and well
    the band "gorbachev" rehearse there

is multivan really julian walton ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

:D
    "On this bike" instead of "On this day"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

maybe he is matt keane.... biking around the city for traffic reports

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Multivan

SUNGOD wrote: »
    the owners are alive and well
    the band "gorbachev" rehearse there

Ha ha

Are these young Bohemians you call Gorbachev a good up and coming band! i have to say they seemed very accomplished with the style they had, they drummer eye balled me so he would have caught my indentity, he was the loudest and closest to the window so i couldnt really hear what the singer was jibber jabbering about!:cool:

Here endith the jibber jabber

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I saw them live before.......... Thats about all I can say at the risk of offending anyone. IBF though when I saw them it was at a dire 21st Party so that could have contributed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

Gorbachov.

Drummer is Heno, great great band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

Are ye talking about the Maryland?

No, if your standing at the front door of Deevy's and you look accross the street youll see the old B+B, Im sure it doesnt operate as a B+B anymore.

It has a black door and the curtains are really unwashed and the paint is peeling off the sills and around the windows the building itself isnt painted at all.

KingLoser wrote: »
    Gorbachov.

Drummer is Heno, great great band.

Where and when could i catch this band? the drummer gave me the nod from the window as i was watchin them rehearse

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

They're back in Waterford for a bit, lots of gigs.

http://www.myspace.com/gorbachov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Yeah a family called the Caseys own it. And their son Brian plays rhythm guitar and sings backing vocals for Gorbachov. He used to play with Four Doors Down and a number of other bands over the years.

The lads are signed to a label and recorded an EP in Liverpool last year I think it was. They also won the Murphy's Live competition 2008. So they've made the step up from local to national level. It's whether they'll go further now that's the question.

I'd highly recommend catching them live if you get the chance.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Yeah a family called the Caseys own it. And their son Brian plays rhythm guitar and sings backing vocals for Gorbachov. He used to play with Four Doors Down and a number of other bands over the years.

The lads are signed to a label and recorded an EP in Liverpool last year I think it was. They also won the Murphy's Live competition 2008. So they've made the step up from local to national level. It's whether they'll go further now that's the question.

I'd highly recommend catching them live if you get the chance.

I wonder does anybody live in that house? is it lived in?

Doesnt look like it? maybe its a deceptive facade for an up and coming reclusive rock band? i knew there was activity in the house, all signs pointed to it being run down and disused but most run down empty disused houses have a front door to match the run down dirt and dust covered door and signs that it hadnt been open in quite some time, but as i posted earlier this one was a fine black door clean and dirt free!

So i was a wonderin about it!

If anybody knows Gorbachov do you think theyd accept a couple of songs from a song writer?

They seemed very good!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Is that Avondale B&B? Looks like a fairly new sign but a quick glance isnt showing as being a member of any tourism organisation but they can operate without it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Multivan wrote: »
    I wonder does anybody live in that house? is it lived in?

Doesnt look like it? maybe its a deceptive facade for an up and coming reclusive rock band? i knew there was activity in the house, all signs pointed to it being run down and disused but most run down empty disused houses have a front door to match the run down dirt and dust covered door and signs that it hadnt been open in quite some time, but as i posted earlier this one was a fine black door clean and dirt free!

So i was a wonderin about it!

If anybody knows Gorbachov do you think theyd accept a couple of songs from a song writer?

They seemed very good!

I now have it on good authority that the place they practise is actually the house next to his family home. His parents apparently own that one too. And it is as disused and rundown on the inside as it looks! Maybe the door is the one thing they improved. Since the band use the house and would presumably store gear worth quite a bit of money in there, it would be prudent to have a door that couldn't be kicked in with little effort!

I would doubt that they'd take songs from someone but you'd never know. Throw them a message on myspace or something and see what they think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

Multivan wrote: »
    I

!

i can just see your song titles

(1) threadstarter.....(im a threadstarter ,twisted threadstarter)
    (2) almost on this day..........(the ballad of julian walton)
    (3)i like driving in my car....(but not in waterford as ye people cant drive properly)
    (4)the matt keane megamix..(top o the folly choc o block)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭hellfireie

the caseys grandad fought in the spanish civil war he died a few years back. i'd say if the walls could speak im sure they would be some interesting stories from that building in its hay-day

SUNGOD wrote: »
    i can just see your song titles

(1) threadstarter.....(im a threadstarter ,twisted threadstarter)
    (2) almost on this day..........(the ballad of julian walton)
    (3)i like driving in my car....(but not in waterford as ye people cant drive properly)
    (4)the matt keane megamix..(top o the folly choc o block)

Ha ha very good!:D

hellfireie wrote: »
    the caseys grandad fought in the spanish civil war he died a few years back. i'd say if the walls could speak im sure they would be some interesting stories from that building in its hay-day

Thats a song in itself, he fought in the spanish civil war!!!!!!!

If they cant make a song outta that then they do need help :D

Wasnt this story on the news recently on rte?

I heard something about a person who fought in the spanish civil war that died recently it was mentioned on the TV lately no? musta been the same guy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 lollypop41

snuggles09 wrote: »
    Are ye talking about the Maryland?

whats the story with that place im always drivin past it heard a few rumors but never really knew

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

lollypop41 wrote: »
    whats the story with that place im always drivin past it heard a few rumors but never really knew

its full of vampires. sometimes when a westerly wind blows you can smell death from the place. nasty

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 lollypop41

longshanks wrote: »
    its full of vampires. sometimes when a westerly wind blows you can smell death from the place. nasty

ah im all scared nowi wont be able to sleep tonight i dont like vampires

lollypop41 wrote: »

I think it a lovely building, I always slow down when i walk past and look in if i won the lotto id look to buy it.

For the other poster its the old building with B+B above the door accross from Deevy´s

Advertisement