Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHV Work thread - What Industries Are Still Booming Down Here?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

SA and ACT are quite busy at the moment for const work see my post in "Irish in Brisbane and Jobs" for further info.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 golucky

Im a quantity surveyor with 1 1/2 years experience, thinking of going to Perth.

Any construction jobs there for me do you think? Or where is there a good spot to go

Nothing for me here in Ireland

And do people go over and get other jobs they are not qualified in instead? What kind of job could I get? Is the job market any good for someone going over on a WHV these days?

Thanks,

John

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

golucky wrote: »
    Im a quantity surveyor with 1 1/2 years experience, thinking of going to Perth.

Any construction jobs there for me do you think? Or where is there a good spot to go

Nothing for me here in Ireland

And do people go over and get other jobs they are not qualified in instead? What kind of job could I get? Is the job market any good for someone going over on a WHV these days?

Thanks,

John

The main thing to remember is that its a working Holiday visa, aimed at backpackers who move about and are willing to take any type of work going. I'm coming near the end of my visa and i'm finding it increasingly difficult to get any work, although I have something for a few hours a week in removals/relocations which isn't ideal for me (coming from legal background) but its something! Some people are lucky and land a job in their qualified area and have by and large a better chance of getting sponsorship.

The best of luck anyway
    damo

DamoDLK wrote: »
    The main thing to remember is that its a working Holiday visa, aimed at backpackers who move about and are willing to take any type of work going. I'm coming near the end of my visa and i'm finding it increasingly difficult to get any work, although I have something for a few hours a week in removals/relocations which isn't ideal for me (coming from legal background) but its something! Some people are lucky and land a job in their qualified area and have by and large a better chance of getting sponsorship.

The best of luck anyway
    damo

Thanks,

I think I'll take the plunge and go over. :D

I have friends going to Perth, I checked the government job website and there are lots of jobs for labourers and factory work, could anyone with no experience get that kind of work?

Also, can anyone tell me, or is there a website, which tells you everything you should bring for a year in Australia? Like type of clothes for work and casual wear or whatever, I dont know if I have anything suitable for australian weather!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

golucky wrote: »
    Also, can anyone tell me, or is there a website, which tells you everything you should bring for a year in Australia? Like type of clothes for work and casual wear or whatever, I dont know if I have anything suitable for australian weather!

Where are you going?

perth, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

Hey Guys,

Recently qualified as an accountant (ACCA) and i was made redundant last week. Thinking of heading down under so i am exploring all my options at the moment. What is the jobs market like for accountants at the moment preferably industry based? I have been working in practice for over 4 years.

Which city would be best to go to for jobs, quality of life etc? Anyone got any websites of good recruitment consultants?

Would appreciate any advice at all.

Thanks

Jockey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Carmelp

Yeah, you're dead right, I guess it's just in my nature to try to be ultra organised, but I guess there's just some things that can't be prepared in advance.

@jank: I think you hit the nail on the head with your comment. In trying to have work lined up I'm kind of forgetting the whole reason I'm going to Oz. Being realistic, I'd like to get proper work experience, but that's wishful thinking unless I got a Skilled Worker Visa, which I won't.

What I really want is to enjoy the trip, and try to fit in a few temp jobs or short-term jobs in between to supplement it.

Thanks for all the advice, lots to think about!
    hey toaster sparks, just wondering have you gone over to Oz yet? and how you are getting on?
    ive just decided to go myself, but am beginning to freak out a little and have all the same worries..money..work..accom !!

ps anyone know what the story is with working with preschool children. i read briefly that it was not allowed the WHV, but havnt seen any proper info on it. thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭ToasterSparks

CarmelP wrote:
    hey toaster sparks, just wondering have you gone over to Oz yet? and how you are getting on?
    ive just decided to go myself, but am beginning to freak out a little and have all the same worries..money..work..accom !!

Nope, I'm still in the planning stages. Figure that between €4-5k will give me enough to cover flights + extras + setup in Oz before I find a job. I figure that I won't get any relevant work experience, but really hoping to land an office temp job or something.

The problem is really the job. If I could organise it before I go, or have some concrete links to Oz employers/agencies, it would make the rest that bit easier.

• Advertisement

Nope, I'm still in the planning stages. Figure that between €4-5k will give me enough to cover flights + extras + setup in Oz before I find a job. I figure that I won't get any relevant work experience, but really hoping to land an office temp job or something.

The problem is really the job. If I could organise it before I go, or have some concrete links to Oz employers/agencies, it would make the rest that bit easier.

when are you planning to go.
    i was working out my savings and costs today too, and ill prob have around 5 grand but hopefully will get work in sydney/brisbane straight away.
    who are you planning to travel with? usit seems to have the best deal.
    at least asia will be cheap!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭ToasterSparks

As I said I am still in the planning stages. Work is a big unknown, so finding work straight away is a priority - but 'straight away' could mean anything from 1-8 weeks depending on my luck and success at finding something. Hopefully it'll be closer to 2/3 weeks, but it is best to go prepared for every scenario.

In terms of organising it, I hope to do it by myself (Oz Immigration website for visa, source insurance online, book my own flights, etc.). It takes some planning but it is worth it if you want to save some money. If you'd prefer to take the 'hassle' out of organising it all yourself, you can go with Usit or someone similar.

Having contacts in Oz would be a major help!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Carmelp wrote: »

ps anyone know what the story is with working with preschool children. i read briefly that it was not allowed the WHV, but havnt seen any proper info on it. thanks
    Ranstad may be recruiting for childcare, even if you don't have a qualification. If you had a bit of experience and garda clearance you may get work. However, remember the pay will be minimum wage....less than $15 dollars an hr I think. Given that childcare hours may be around 6 per day you can get an idea of your pay. However, 9% pension (superannuation) is taken off that plus tax..so your money could be small. Save as much as you can before you come out.

i was talking to a friend who works in sydney, and she says there lots of jobs especially in childcare, and going to an agency is the best option. another friend who works with machinery etc. says theres no prob gettin jobs. so anyone whos been worryin about it, it doesnt seem half as bad as what people are saying on this.

i was planning on going with usit or someone, but was looking myself the last few days, and it will work out way cheaper to do it myself. around 660, to get to asia on a month stopover and on to oz then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Well alot of people talk up the situation when talking to people from home. Then when people like yourself come out here they expect jobs from the moment they arrive. AFAIK things have improved just temper your expectations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Here is the thing everyone finds little niche jobs then is amazed at how its hard to get people. However loads of people are basically not suited or do not have the skills for theat job.

My wife works in a shop despite staff shortage issues the HR department will never hire WHV staff. What's the piont they will leave and cant stay anyway? When you have finite resources and no job the task of finding work is worth worrying about.

However that said of late there has been a marked decrease in the amount of "Oh sh1t I cant find work!" posts

This thread ebbs and flows so the info is always a reflection of the time it was written and the personnel circumstance of the poster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

How is the job market currently in OZ? Specifically in the IT or Retail sectors? Would it be difficult to get jobs in these areas on a WHV?

Thanks

Would there be much work in Pharmacy over there?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

There is an IT job going in my place.

Senior Technical Support Consultant
    Min 5 years exp needed

PM me for more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Reality check...
    Don't expect to land in any Australian city and have work immediately, Be prepared to spend 4 weeks out of work at the beginning, that length of time should be sufficient to figure out where you want to stick around for a few months. It should also be enough time to sort out a job with enough hours and a high enough pay rate to get some coin together.
    Beware of sales jobs promising all sorts of crap to work for a charity or power company or phone company. Most sales jobs over here are so much fluff, If you are particularly good at sales, or are a cold hearted ballsy salesman, you can make some money, otherwise, it is a waste of your valuable time, you would be better off waiting tables or pulling pints for a low hourly rate than trying to cut it on a sales team. Same goes for most telesales, and definitely any business operating on a govt. grant scheme.
    Don't try a dodgy ABN for your 2nd year visa, they have a list of ABN numbers at this stage that have been used to blag the system and they will exclude you for 3 years if they catch you, not to mention the immediate deportation to pay for...
    Get your farm work done early if you are looking for a 2nd WHV, watch out for the 6 month limit if you end up a bit settled somewhere, and keep a copy of all your forms and payslips.
    manage all of that and you'll have a ball over here, if not, it'll all turn to poo. ~@~

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mickeyie05

Hi just wondering if people could answer me this Im thinking of heading over to Australia in Oct. I am currently a final year student of Quantity Surveying and was wondering what type of Visa i would get and would there be any problem getting one. I intend to go out to work out there either for a year or two years.

Cheers

Mickeyie05

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

HIt up SEEK.com.au
    Check out jobs, and where they are available, and lash in some CV's, If you are getting positive responses, get out here soon and get them to put you on a 457, if not, go on a WHV get out here, find somewhere you'd like to stay a while, then sort out your work, just be prepared to spend a lean month with no job, and plenty of expenses. budget for it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 petev

just wondering guys about the WHV and trade jobs? im a sparkie and im wondering whats my best option to find work? do employers take on for 6 months or would i be better off on another option?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

IT Job Market is quiet at the moment, with it being Easter. Been here 3 weeks and not a sniff of an interview. Brick wall appears to be the WHV, as i've been shot down the minute I mention it.

I've 8 years experience as an Oracle DBA(bout as old as you can possibly be on a WHV!) and also have SAP experience...looks like i'll be moving on soon...ah well..

thewing wrote: »
    I've 8 years experience as an Oracle DBA(bout as old as you can possibly be on a WHV!) and also have SAP experience...

You could have got PR with that.

Don't want it, just passing through...the sister is a citizen as well, could have sponsored...

thewing wrote: »
    Don't want it, just passing through...the sister is a citizen as well, could have sponsored...

So you are saying if your sister is a citizen she can sponsor you ?

Yup, but it costs...literally only wanna stay for a few months...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

petev wrote: »
    just wondering guys about the WHV and trade jobs? im a sparkie and im wondering whats my best option to find work? do employers take on for 6 months or would i be better off on another option?

On a WHV you cannot work for the same company for more than 6 months..otherwise you are breaking the terms of your visa. Have you looked into getting your electrical licence? Its alot of hassle and I've yet to meet a spark that got it in the first 6 months of getting here. It can be very hard to get work as a spark without it as companies aren't willing to take on unlicenced sparks.

Feel free to PM if you need more info on getting the licence. I've heard that they are starting to do the course back home. You will also need to get your qualifications recognised over here as anything from FAS mean jacksh*t here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

im headin for Perth in two weeks time,cant wait...

Is there much work in Construction for a general labourer??

I have friends out there. They reckon there is loads of work.

Anyone know??

Advertisement