Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHV Work thread - What Industries Are Still Booming Down Here?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭julie2tubz

Hi all,

Myself and my boyfriend are thinking of heading to NZ next year. We reckon we'll have around 6000 euro each when we arrive. How long will that last do you reckon?
    Also, what is the likelihood of getting admin/temp work in an office and where would the best place to go to find that kind of work?

Also what are the wages like in comparison to the standard of living?

Any info would be appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Caroline B

It can be difficult to get your qualifications recognised, but there are agents who can do the leg work for you (http://acitemploymentservices.com/ looks after a few electrical engineers for example :)), and you have to have health and safety cert etc every 6 months here. Don't be put off by the WHV only allowing 6 months for the same employer - the 6 months you spend with them can lead to permanent employment. Employers here really value the Irish/English work ethic and standard and if you get a chance with a company they will often look to sponsorship. It's not as difficult as you might think.

In any event, you can save a bit of cash and also scour the job boards. You dont normally get a job sorted before you come over, but you can be as prepared as you can be. WHV are a great way to see the country and work/live etc., especially if you might make the move permanent. It is true that it takes around 4-6 weeks to find a job, so finding a place to live before you come over (as much as you can) is a great step. If you're happy at home it is easier once you dragging yourself all over the streets for work every day!

The immigration are still not sure here what professions to include on their lists this time around, so again, WHV is a great way to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Any other suggestions for decent/small job agencies?

Rang up Hays, Kelly Recruitment, and BSI People today... Hays gave me an email address to send a CV to; Kelly told me to send in my CV through their website, but said that they get over 200 a week so I'm unlikely to hear back... BSI said to just apply for their jobs on Seek, Careerone, etc.

I haven't even recieved a call after applying for about 75 jobs :( I'm not shooting for the stars either, I've applied for 20-odd warehouse jobs but haven't heard anything! I have warehouse experience (among other stuff).

Suggestions? Vacancies? :D

I honestly find that making a phone call makes the difference. You can send a thousand CVs but at the end of the day, making a phone call here, friendly and open, can move mountains. The larger agencies do get inundated with CVs and as a result I find them difficult to deal with. Have you tried going down to the local industrial parks? It sounds odd i know but you can pick up work that way. Drop your CV (make it brief) in, follow up with a call the next week if you don't hear back?

I also find that you might expect to get a quicker response here based on Irish/UK standards - but typically unless a job is advertised as urgent then no one really rushes the process. I got my first job 4 weeks after i applied for it - they were just too busy to call!

Don't know the agencies in Sydney i'm afraid. Good luck with the calls !!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Not looking good, maybe try rural NSW instead of Sydney.

• Advertisement

Just a little note - unemployment here is pretty low, still lower than Ireland, and there are plenty of jobs out here, of all types. Things just take a little time. WHV are great, especially right now with immigration not sure whats happening in the next 6 months with skilled visas. If you are looking for work, in a nice country, with comforts just like home, the same language etc. and a possibility of a career (because it IS possible) then I can't see why everyone is not doing it!!!

It's always going to hard to leave home, family, and the security of Social Welfare..(!) but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

anyone in Brisbane - give me a shout :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

julie2tubz wrote: »
    Hi all,

Myself and my boyfriend are thinking of heading to NZ next year. We reckon we'll have around 6000 euro each when we arrive. How long will that last do you reckon?
    Also, what is the likelihood of getting admin/temp work in an office and where would the best place to go to find that kind of work?

Also what are the wages like in comparison to the standard of living?

Any info would be appreciated.

€6000 each is a good bit of money. I only had €2000 when I went over and was able to set up a flat (they're unfurnished so you have to buy everything!) and other things before finding work after a few weeks. Basically your money doubles when you bring it over so you'd have $12000 NZD which is pretty good!

I arrived in NZ two years ago and got office temp work very quickly and then got offered a 3 month contract in an admin job. I still work for that company, only since I got permanent residency I'm permanent and I got promoted to a more senior position. Check out www.seek.co.nz for jobs. I'm an EA and there seems to be a good few jobs when I've looked recently. I'm in Wellington and would recommend Madison for temping. We currently have a temp from here working for us and she said they have been the best to deal with for her. There a number of temping agencies in Wellington. Drake, Hays, Kelly Services.

As for the cost of living compare to wages, well wages aren't great but the cost of living isn't too high either. To be honest, I feel like I had more disposable income in Dublin but I don't know if that is just perception. I found the wages a bit of a bitch when I started but I have climbed back up to the level I was at when I left Dublin now. You'll have enough to get by, definitely. You just won't be loaded!

Feel free to pm me if you have any more questions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭julie2tubz

watna wrote: »
    €6000 each is a good bit of money. I only had €2000 when I went over and was able to set up a flat (they're unfurnished so you have to buy everything!) and other things before finding work after a few weeks. Basically your money doubles when you bring it over so you'd have $12000 NZD which is pretty good!

I arrived in NZ two years ago and got office temp work very quickly and then got offered a 3 month contract in an admin job. I still work for that company, only since I got permanent residency I'm permanent and I got promoted to a more senior position. Check out www.seek.co.nz for jobs. I'm an EA and there seems to be a good few jobs when I've looked recently. I'm in Wellington and would recommend Madison for temping. We currently have a temp from here working for us and she said they have been the best to deal with for her. There a number of temping agencies in Wellington. Drake, Hays, Kelly Services.

As for the cost of living compare to wages, well wages aren't great but the cost of living isn't too high either. To be honest, I feel like I had more disposable income in Dublin but I don't know if that is just perception. I found the wages a bit of a bitch when I started but I have climbed back up to the level I was at when I left Dublin now. You'll have enough to get by, definitely. You just won't be loaded!

Feel free to pm me if you have any more questions :)

Much obliged Watna, some great info there. Is Wellington a good place to live? Is there much to keep you occupied there for a few months?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

julie2tubz wrote: »
    Much obliged Watna, some great info there. Is Wellington a good place to live? Is there much to keep you occupied there for a few months?

Yeah, there's a good bit going on. Lots of gigs and theatres and it has nice restaurants and bars and things. We don't really go out much (my nights out usually start with work mates at 5 and end up in a stagger home at about 10!) so I'm not sure about clubs and things. I'm never bored but like any place you have to get out there and find things and make the most of it.

I think it's a nice place to live. I'd get a car if you could because then you can get off for weekends and things. Motels are quite cheap in NZ so we've taken to picking somewhere to visit and then heading off for the weekend. There's lovely towns with vineyards and things (that's my favourite thing to do in NZ - viisit vineyards for tasting and then eat in the restaurant!) about a 2 hour drive away.

New Zealanaders are quite outdoorsy as well so there's lots of fun runs and running clubs and surfing and that kind of thing so there's loads to do in that respect. I'm not very outdoorsy at all though so I just watch other people doing things!

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Dazzler88 wrote: »
    im headin for Perth in two weeks time,cant wait...

Is there much work in Construction for a general labourer??

I have friends out there. They reckon there is loads of work.

Anyone know??

You are prob in for a nice time if you play your cards right...chatted to a lad from Belfast last night who is working out in Perth at the minute and earning around 1500 dollars a week working in scaffolding - plus he had no real experience of the work - just of general construction work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

What is the average salary in NZ?
    Salaries seem to be low in NZ, but they seem quite good in OZ, pretty similar to Ireland.
    Just a problem when you're comig back out of the country you are not getting much value for the NZ$

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 lpk123

I have a few questions for anyone who is able to take the time to answer. I tried scouring this thread for something relevant, but couldn't find it, so please excuse my ignorance! I've checked official websites and everything, but I just need to know what suits me.

Anyhow, my boyfriend is a qualified electrician, me - I've had my degree in Forensics for the past 3 years, but haven't had a relevant lab job since to back it up with experience. Now, we've been unemployed for a little while, and decided that next year we'd like to go to Australia (we've money saved, so it's not an issue). Thing is, what do we apply for? Working holiday visa? I understand you can only stay with the same employer for 6 months, but we're really looking for something more permanent. Is there any visa that will allow us to extend and possibly allow us to stay permanently in the future? My boyfriend seems pretty secure in having a skilled trade qualification, but all I have is a science degree; would I be able to get anything other that a WHV?

Any help at all would be massively appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭603304529

Try googling:
    • "pomsinoz"
    • "British Expats"
    These two give you all sorts of advice re: visas.

But basically, you'd be looking for a 175 or 176 visa if you wanted to go with a visa that would let you stay forever/work with the same employer for more than 6 months.. But those visas take a while to process - up to 3 or 4 years, depending..

So, go with the WHV for now - get to Oz, and have a go. If you like it, try and get sponsorship from an employer....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭clarelad

Anyone teaching tefl/celta out there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

clarelad wrote: »
    Anyone teaching tefl/celta out there?

Do they require Tefl in english speaking countries? seems a bit of a contradiction...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭clarelad

i know it does,seems to be jobs over there doing it though,according a poster here its easy to get work in melbourne and sydney...going to do the celta soon so would be a nice option...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

clarelad wrote: »
    i know it does,seems to be jobs over there doing it though,according a poster here its easy to get work in melbourne and sydney...going to do the celta soon so would be a nice option...

suppose there is still a pretty big immigrant community that do not have English as a first language looking to improve it...

haven't heard of anyone teaching it though so can't help there...

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Lucifer-0

Hi all.

I'm thinking of heading to Sydney soon and looking for work in IT, preferably have something lined up before hand.

Anyone know if there's many IT jobs over there? I'd be looking at testing roles, QA, automation, etc.

Cheers.

You won't get a job before you come over, unless you have some rare and sought-after skill/experience.

Do you have testing experience? There's plenty of testing jobs advertised on seek.com.au, but they're looking for experience, usually min. 3 years! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Lucifer-0 wrote: »
    Hi all.

I'm thinking of heading to Sydney soon and looking for work in IT, preferably have something lined up before hand.

Anyone know if there's many IT jobs over there? I'd be looking at testing roles, QA, automation, etc.

Cheers.

Book a flight for 2moro, it might be gone by next week

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65728659&postcount=1

• Advertisement

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Book a flight for 2moro, it might be gone by next week

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65728659&postcount=1

I seen this alright, sent him a message but haven't heard anything back yet.

I'm currently working at the moment but it looks like redundancies here so I have to wait till I get that before flying over there. By the looks of things I will have to go over there looking for a job as it's difficult to get work lined up before going over?

Dave! wrote: »
    You won't get a job before you come over, unless you have some rare and sought-after skill/experience.

Do you have testing experience? There's plenty of testing jobs advertised on seek.com.au, but they're looking for experience, usually min. 3 years! :(

Hi Dave.

I wouldn't say my skills are very special at all.

Around 3 years experience in test/QA but I imagine there are a lot of people applying for those jobs so probably have more chance of an offer if I go over there and am available for interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Hi guys.

I'm currently planning to basically feck off out of Ireland for a while. I am starting off in Thailand, Cambodia and Laos for 2 months and hope to have a WHV sorted to move to Adelaide for a year.

I will be doing it alone.

My questions are;

Would it be easy enough to get bar work, or similarily unskilled work, to support myself? I just want it to be a nice casual year really.
    What is the minimum wage for this type of work? With all my googling I can't figure it out!!

That's all I can think of for now. Thanks for any impending responces! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Hi guys.

I'm currently planning to basically feck off out of Ireland for a while. I am starting off in Thailand, Cambodia and Laos for 2 months and hope to have a WHV sorted to move to Adelaide for a year.

I will be doing it alone.

My questions are;

Would it be easy enough to get bar work, or similarily unskilled work, to support myself? I just want it to be a nice casual year really.
    What is the minimum wage for this type of work? With all my googling I can't figure it out!!

That's all I can think of for now. Thanks for any impending responces! :)

Hey minidazzler,

As with anywhere else, word of mouth is probably a good way for you to go when you get there - especially for casual work, as you're planning to look to get. Bar work – I’d imagine it’s really a case of traipsing round the Irish bars around Adelaide or networking with people already working in the trade! As regards minimum wage, between $18 and $25 an hour is the standard.

More info here: http://paddysaway.com/working-in-Australia.php
    Also feel free to post on the site forum, looking to get some good discussions going on there, feel free to post a quick question there and someone will get back to you in the coming days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jo_t89

I'm going to Perth in september on a WHV. We were told there was loads of work there back in february, and "if you have two working arms and two working legs, you'll get a job in perth".

I'm not feeling too confident about it now, I mean, I know Oz is still going through a recession, but because I had heard that Perth had plenty of job opportunities for people looking for part time work on a WHV, I didn't imagine it would be as difficult as many of you say and figured it would be a good place to start out.

I'd really appreciate any advice you could give me!

jo_t89 wrote: »
    I'm going to Perth in september on a WHV. We were told there was loads of work there back in february, and "if you have two working arms and two working legs, you'll get a job in perth".

I'm not feeling too confident about it now, I mean, I know Oz is still going through a recession, but because I had heard that Perth had plenty of job opportunities for people looking for part time work on a WHV, I didn't imagine it would be as difficult as many of you say and figured it would be a good place to start out.

I'd really appreciate any advice you could give me!
    Australia was never in recession as far as I'm aware... Unemployment is only about 5.5%, Ireland during the Celtic Tiger was about 4%!

From what I've been told there's plenty of work in Perth, they're having a bit of a labour shortage in fact. If you have any skills/qualifications then you should be grand, but if you don't then you could probably still get low-skilled work like labouring, etc.

I reckon Perth/WA would be a good place to start out with your WHV.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

Hey everyone,

Just looking for any advice from anybody working in accounting downunder. Are there many jobs? I am thinking of heading to Brisbane in September, I see a load of jobs with agencies but I don't know how 'real' they are!

Would appreciate any feedback.

Cheers

Jockey

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Eimear_K

Hi Guys!
    Looking for a bit of advice. My boyfriend and I are planning on year away starting in September. We're budgetting about €8000 each for the trip and want to work in Australia along the way. We'd be happy to do casual work but I think I'll look for engineering work as well (I'm a civil engineer).

Does anyone know if there are jobs for civil engineers out there? I looked on the jobs websites are there do look to be quite a few (I was looking in Melbourne) but I'm not sure if the websites are a true reflection of what things are like at the moment?

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

Eimear_K wrote: »
    Hi Guys!
    Looking for a bit of advice. My boyfriend and I are planning on year away starting in September. We're budgetting about €8000 each for the trip and want to work in Australia along the way. We'd be happy to do casual work but I think I'll look for engineering work as well (I'm a civil engineer).

Does anyone know if there are jobs for civil engineers out there? I looked on the jobs websites are there do look to be quite a few (I was looking in Melbourne) but I'm not sure if the websites are a true reflection of what things are like at the moment?

Thanks!

ICDS contacted me a couple of days ago about Mech. eng. positions in Perth. They are also advertising for civil engs. here uf thats of any interest to you.

• Advertisement

I've been watching this thread with interest.

As I said previously, I am in Brisbane and have been lucky enough to get a job working at my college. I came over on a study visa, which means I have to pay my own way, attend college, and work around my studies. Not too easy and very costly.

With the recent change in the list published last week for skilled migration, more and more people know that WHV are the best option. I wish I had done that when I was young enough!!

The only problem with WHV's that if you want to work in your chosen profession when you get here you have to make sure that your qualifications are recognised - and often you still need to do the Health & Safety course here when you get here. Without it you won't get a look in. I know a company who does it all for you - they have all the contacts and job opportunities so you don't waste your time on it - which has got to be the easier way. Think I put the link before, so if I can again I will: http://www.acitemploymentservices.com/ (or you can contact me and I will give you my contact there)

It is definitely possible to get a WHV fairly easy still, and you get 2 years in Australia - in the sunshine - and you may even get lucky and get sponsored at the end. I think if you come over with that attitude you'll be fine.

I think we all want to live forever here - but realistically, 2 years with no huge outlay is a good bet!

Oh, and if you come over to Brisbane - say hi!!

Advertisement