Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHV Work thread - What Industries Are Still Booming Down Here?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Noo wrote: »
    'm only really entitled to a WHV or Sponsorship visa. I was thinking of a WHV but know people on those have a bad rep and jobs chances arent good on it.
    That is not true at all, people on WHV do not have a bad rep.

With no work experience I wouldnt know how to go about getting sponsership from a company. If a get a WHV can a company still sponser you and change you visa status.
    With no experience, you probably have little chance of getting a sponsored job.
    With sponsorship you must have a minimum salary of $45k / E33k, which is highly unlikely.

My suggestion is to come over on a WHV and try your luck and hope someone can sponsor you.
    (If you work in a regional area you can get a 2nd year visa too)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

hussey wrote: »
    That is not true at all, people on WHV do not have a bad rep.

With no experience, you probably have little chance of getting a sponsored job.
    With sponsorship you must have a minimum salary of $45k / E33k, which is highly unlikely.

My suggestion is to come over on a WHV and try your luck and hope someone can sponsor you.
    (If you work in a regional area you can get a 2nd year visa too)

Yeah i think the WHV is the best option, I only mentioned the sponsorship as some companies have say a two year graduate programme and want you to have a visa for it, I think that may be the only hope I'd have for the sponsorship.

So if you are on a WHV and the company want you to stay on (for longer than the allowed 6 months) then they can sponsor you and change your visa status?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Noo wrote: »

So if you are on a WHV and the company want you to stay on (for longer than the allowed 6 months) then they can sponsor you and change your visa status?

Yeah they can sponsor you, but there is a process involved in sponsoring in that you also apply for a completely new visa. for example you cant nip down to the post office and change your visa from a 417 to a 457 its a completely new visa and you have to meet the requirements for that visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Thats grand. Its the one thing I wanted to know but its impossible to find any clear information on.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭linola_c

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know much about the legal industry in Australia? I am due to arrive in Perth (to start) in mid February. I have a good degree and have a fair amount of experience?

If same fails, how easy is it to get administrative jobs?

Would appreciate any input on this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ammo123

linola_c wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Does anyone know much about the legal industry in Australia? I am due to arrive in Perth (to start) in mid February. I have a good degree and have a fair amount of experience?

If same fails, how easy is it to get administrative jobs?

Would appreciate any input on this.

Oddly I too am arriving in Perth start of February...with similar qualifications to linola_c and would love to hear if there is much of a shot at a law job in Aus?

Also any ideas bout which cities in Australia the job market in this area is stronger in at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Is it possible to apply for a skilled migrant visa while in Oz on a WHV (1st or 2nd year)? I know if I get work there sponsorship would be an option but I've heard you're pretty much screwed if you lose your job while under an employer sponsored visa so I'd prefer to leave that as plan B.

Essien wrote: »
    Is it possible to apply for a skilled migrant visa while in Oz on a WHV (1st or 2nd year)? I know if I get work there sponsorship would be an option but I've heard you're pretty much screwed if you lose your job while under an employer sponsored visa so I'd prefer to leave that as plan B.

Yes but you don't get a bridging visa and it's unlikely to be processed before either 1st or 2nd WHV ends so you would have to go offshore for at least a few months.

ENS is employer sponsored PR... If you lose your job unlike a 457 you dont lose your visa rights. It has no restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Yes but you don't get a bridging visa and it's unlikely to be processed before either 1st or 2nd WHV ends so you would have to go offshore for at least a few months.

By "a few months" you could be saying 12 months? I've heard thats how long it takes to process a SMV. I wouldn't mind heading back home for 2/3 months if I had to after 2 years but 12 months would just be too long.
    mandrake04 wrote: »
    ENS is employer sponsored PR... If you lose your job unlike a 457 you dont lose your visa rights. It has no restrictions.

Are these difficult to get or is it effectively down to the employer?

By "a few months" you could be saying 12 months? I've heard thats how long it takes to process a SMV. I wouldn't mind heading back home for 2/3 months if I had to after 2 years but 12 months would just be too long.

well depending on your occupation and the current backlog processing can take anything from 8 months to 3 years.

I reckon 12 months you would be really lucky.
    Are these difficult to get or is it effectively down to the employer?

ENS is very easy once you have a willing employer, wouldn't be turning your nose up at 457 although a bit of a risk always going be easiest/quickest/cheapest option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭TKline

Mining, mining, mining... and... um... mining. If you can dig up dirt and sell it to China, Australia wants you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sparksman2008

Hello,
    Im an electrician working in Ireland and have being thinking lately about moving to austrailia to find work.
    Im just wondering has anyone much information on the whole process, such as is it hard to find work out there and what tests have to be completed to get recognised as a qualified electrician out there and what the expected salary out there would be ?
    Also would it be better to use an agency to gain visa and have work lined up before i go out or get visa and go out with the hope of getting work when i get there.
    Cheers for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

First post on boards.ie so forgive me if this has been asked elsewhere...

I'm thinking of moving to Oz among other places and am currently working in a management consulting role with a large consultancy here in Ireland (have 3 years work experience) Just throwing it out there- are there opportunities for this type of work down under?

Would be really interested to hear if anyone is working in this area.

thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

Also would it be better to use an agency to gain visa and have work lined up before i go out or get visa and go out with the hope of getting work when i get there.

hey.the best place for work in Australia at the moment is Western Australia.You would be very luck to get a job before you get out here. If you want to work as an electrcian,you have to have a WA electricans license,it costs about $3000-$4000 to get and can take up to 6 weeks,it also involves going to collage 1 day a week,nobody will hire you without a electricans license(if they do they can get a hefty fine).

On the upside.if you can get a job in the city,you can expect $35 an hr and if you can get a job on the mines,expect $60 an hr. The mining jobs are hard to get unless you have previous mining experience.

I would advise you to get a Working Holiday Visa.I would add the link below. Just book your visa here and get your tickets from Oz holidays,this is the cheapest way of doing it. Usit and them charge way to much.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/
    www.australianholidays.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭katzenjammer

TKline wrote: »
    Mining, mining, mining... and... um... mining. If you can dig up dirt and sell it to China, Australia wants you.

Hey, I'm a graduate geologist and thinking of heading over to WA in the coming months as I hear mining companies are hiring graduates- is this true? Is the industry still growing over there?

Hey, I'm a graduate geologist and thinking of heading over to WA in the coming months as I hear mining companies are hiring graduates- is this true? Is the industry still growing over there?

ya i was working on a mine site recently and their was a few companies taking on graduates.I will leave the links below:
    www.integramining.com.au

www.silverlakeresources.com.au

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 greenbrain

Dazzler88 wrote: »
    ya i was working on a mine site recently and their was a few companies taking on graduates.I will leave the links below:
    www.integramining.com.au

www.silverlakeresources.com.au

thanks, what kinds of graduates are they taking on, any graduate civil engineers?

where u getting paid much?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭chenguin

Does anyone know if there are many QC Analyst jobs in the Pharmaceutical Industry In Aus? I am thinking of doing the WHV.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 mac20v

does anyone know if you can get mechanics jobs on a whv without having your qualification recognised ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

Hey folks!

Heading out in September! Was just wondering if there are any business or marketing graduates (either degree or masters) finding relative work? If so, would love to hear what regions you are in or what the type of work is like! If you sourced work prior to heading off or looked when you got there etc.

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 eljerro

Hey Guys

Just booked flights today for june for the man and I

Starting in Perth, whats the job scene like for Carpenters & Business Degree Graduates there? :confused:

I assume an Irish H Dip will allow people to teach in Oz?

Everyones help is greatly appreciated!

cheers

eljerro wrote: »
    Hey Guys

Just booked flights today for june for the man and I

Starting in Perth, whats the job scene like for Carpenters & Business Degree Graduates there? :confused:

I assume an Irish H Dip will allow people to teach in Oz?

Everyones help is greatly appreciated!

cheers
    not to sure about the H dip but what I can tell you is Perth is booming at the moment.Your fella will get work as a carpenter no problem and if he is any good he could get up to $35/hr..

mac20v wrote: »
    does anyone know if you can get mechanics jobs on a whv without having your qualification recognised ?
    yes you can work as a mechanic,most places just want a good resume and someone who can prove themselves on the job.There is great money is Heavy Vechile Mechanic over here.Especially if you get up to a mine site.

greenbrain wrote: »
    thanks, what kinds of graduates are they taking on, any graduate civil engineers?

where u getting paid much?

graduate geo's and some mine site would take on civil engineers.Not sure how much they were gettin paid.I dont work as an engineer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

If your working with kids you may need a medical and a National Police check for the working with children card.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭bigjigwig77

Hey guys,

The girlfriend and myself are heading to Auckland on a WHV in May. We'll be finished our degrees by then, in Finance and in Forestry.

We both have a good bit of actual work experience along with the degrees, just wondering if there's much going in these lines of work in Auckland or any other part of NZ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

anyone doing I.T in perth?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

Any one in construction should now be seriously looking towards Queensland. Not only is there going to be an unbelievable amount of work but I would guess that sponsorship would be a lot easier to get as well.

The knock on effect to cities like Sydney adn Melbourne etc could also lead to alot of work becoming available as there will be alot of tradies heading up to queensland thus creating a need to backfill positions in those cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Luminant

My tip would be Telecoms and related disciplines. Australia is about to start construction of a National Broadband Network and given the size of the country, there will be a lot of holes to be dug, fibreoptic cables to be laid and everything up from that. A few lads I do work with over here are planning a trip to Ireland soon to round up potential candidates and they are confident that they will be able to sponsor most of those who fit the bill. Work will be right across the country and as much rural as city so might not be the perfect option for someone on a WHV but I'd say there will be a fair bit available for it in the coming months and years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

Luminant wrote: »
    My tip would be Telecoms and related disciplines. Australia is about to start construction of a National Broadband Network and given the size of the country, there will be a lot of holes to be dug, fibreoptic cables to be laid and everything up from that. A few lads I do work with over here are planning a trip to Ireland soon to round up potential candidates and they are confident that they will be able to sponsor most of those who fit the bill. Work will be right across the country and as much rural as city so might not be the perfect option for someone on a WHV but I'd say there will be a fair bit available for it in the coming months and years.

I am a Telecoms Expert who is going down to Aus in April, could you PM me if you have any details about jobs in telecoms? Not digging holes or similar work, but actual network design/integration/consultancy activities.. cheers!!

Advertisement