Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHV Work thread - What Industries Are Still Booming Down Here?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭123easy

I heading over in March and have the option of basing myself in Perth or Melbourne while Im looking for work. Im a civil engineer and will be looking for construction or design work on a WHV. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Hi all, great thread - those to all of you who are giving those of us solid advice, its appreciated!

I was wondering if anyone can tell me the situation of the hospitality (hotels, bars, restaurants etc) industry at the moment in and around Melbourne? Myself and the GF are heading over at the end of the summer on a WHV by which time we will each have honors degrees in Bar Managament (her) and Food and Beverege Management (me)

We both have good experience from our time working in private country clubs in New York and Palm Beach - Florida as well as experience working in a big restaurant in London. I've experience working as an Ass. Restaurant manager while she has been a head bartender in those cities mentioned above as well as being an award winner mixologist (cocktail maker)

I reckon we will have no problem finding work as we have good experience and a strong work ethic backed up by qualifications...or am i being a bit optimistic???

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

You will still need to complete an RSA course here (responsible serving of alcohol) before you will be even considered for any job where alcohol is involved.
    Handy enough to find and about 100$ odd

Other than that there are many many restaurants in this town. And quite the air of food snobbiness at times, check this guide out for the trendies at the mo'
    http://www.agfg.com.au/guide/vic/listings/restaurants-dining/

There are also a lot of backpackers in town presently, think that they are avoiding the floods up north, so there's competition for vacancies.
    You might have to start low and work your way up but hopefully you will strike it lucky
    Good luck!

You will still need to complete an RSA course here (responsible serving of alcohol) before you will be even considered for any job where alcohol is involved.
    Handy enough to find and about 100$ odd

Other than that there are many many restaurants in this town. And quite the air of food snobbiness at times, check this guide out for the trendies at the mo'
    http://www.agfg.com.au/guide/vic/listings/restaurants-dining/

There are also a lot of backpackers in town presently, think that they are avoiding the floods up north, so there's competition for vacancies.
    You might have to start low and work your way up but hopefully you will strike it lucky
    Good luck!

Thanks, Pal!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Honeyloops

Hiya

My husband has a applied for a WHV, he is 29 and a carpenter, He has been out of work for the past 2 years as a carpenter and only getting odd bit and pieces here in Ireland. Before that he had 8 years experience and has a qualified trade certificate

I am 30 and a primary school teacher teacher also applying for a WHV.

My husband is going to go out first and get a job (if he can) and get a place to stay and I will follow him.

My Questions are:
    1. Is this the route to go? or is it better to apply for a skilled working visa here?
    2. As a teacher does anyone know what I need to do before I head out re: paperwork?

Many thanks for advise in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Honeyloops
    going the WHV route you are taking the chance that you might have to leave.
    But if you have never been here, how do you know that you'll want a residency visa? Or that you'll like it here.
    It can be a good life here, but it's not cheap. Around 70$ to see a Dr, could be 2-250$ for a dental checkup, 800$ for car insurance. 3.5-4$ for 2L of milk
    Pint is about 7.50-11$ depending on what you're drinking.
    Most backpackers will resort to goon ( a cheap and nasty cask of wine) at some stage you'll find.

Also everything here is paperwork, all your originals will have to be certified and then approved by whatever authority you are trying to work under. As a teacher do not expect to be working within 2 weeks of working, you might be lucky @ 2 months.
    I am not trying to put you off at all, but you probably better off knowing how long drawn out it all can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Luminant

Hi all, great thread - those to all of you who are giving those of us solid advice, its appreciated!

I was wondering if anyone can tell me the situation of the hospitality (hotels, bars, restaurants etc) industry at the moment in and around Melbourne? Myself and the GF are heading over at the end of the summer on a WHV by which time we will each have honors degrees in Bar Managament (her) and Food and Beverege Management (me)

We both have good experience from our time working in private country clubs in New York and Palm Beach - Florida as well as experience working in a big restaurant in London. I've experience working as an Ass. Restaurant manager while she has been a head bartender in those cities mentioned above as well as being an award winner mixologist (cocktail maker)

I reckon we will have no problem finding work as we have good experience and a strong work ethic backed up by qualifications...or am i being a bit optimistic???

I know a few people who work for Peter Rowland which is the big catering and events group that run the likes of the Grand Prix and the Melbourne Cup. They get regular, quality work and access to some amazing places.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Luminant

Honeyloops wrote: »
    Hiya

My husband has a applied for a WHV, he is 29 and a carpenter, He has been out of work for the past 2 years as a carpenter and only getting odd bit and pieces here in Ireland. Before that he had 8 years experience and has a qualified trade certificate

I am 30 and a primary school teacher teacher also applying for a WHV.

My husband is going to go out first and get a job (if he can) and get a place to stay and I will follow him.

My Questions are:
    1. Is this the route to go? or is it better to apply for a skilled working visa here?
    2. As a teacher does anyone know what I need to do before I head out re: paperwork?

Many thanks for advise in advance

I know that there was previously a link between the Irish Australian Chamber of Commerce and a teacher exchange program which supported Irish teachers relocating to Victoria.

I agree with the comments in terms of it taking time to get your paperwork in order. Your fella is likely to be able to pick up work more easily but you might be able to get some support coming out as well.

Luminant wrote: »
    I know a few people who work for Peter Rowland which is the big catering and events group that run the likes of the Grand Prix and the Melbourne Cup. They get regular, quality work and access to some amazing places.

Thanks for info mate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

123easy wrote: »
    I heading over in March and have the option of basing myself in Perth or Melbourne while Im looking for work. Im a civil engineer and will be looking for construction or design work on a WHV. Any suggestions?

to be honest both are good places to go as an engineer. Do you have much experience?
    Melbourne is a major city and so there are a lot of large companies there.
    In perth you benifit from the mining boom. Engineers can get site jobs fifo so that makes it harder to keep people in the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

What about fire safety engineering over there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Neil_S

Hello Everyone, i am new to this, i have had a look and its seems to be a great source of information!

I have a few questions and it would be great if i could get some good info!

1. I had previoulsy applied for and been granted a WHV for Australia however circumstances changed and I never made it over. Am I eligible to apply for another WHV? Are there any implications of not using the first one in terms of the duration i can stay?

2. I am planning to base myself in Perth. Im a qualified Civil Engineer with 5 years experience 2 a resident engineer and 3 in a civil design consultancy. I am lucky enough to be in a job but it is time to move on! My question is are there many civils positons available at the moment? I am happy to work anywhere city or further afield. Im taking a punt leaving my job so any feedback would be great!

3. My aim would be to go over on a WHV and work hard to get sponsered. Are there any engineers out there at the moment who have been through the process and is this the best approach?

Sorry if im asking questions that have been asked before, but i would really like some up to date info! Hope someone here can help me out! I cant wait to get some sun!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

mandrake04 wrote: »
    For Australia are you talking about getting a skilled Permanent visa?

A diploma in Electronic Engineering and 3 years (out of the last 4 years) relevant industry experience would be enough to satisfy the skills assessment before applying for the visa.

The accounting technician course would be useless unless you have 3 years experience.

I would start here and see if you qualify for emigration http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/175/eligibility-applicant.htm

thanks mandrake.

could i get a job as a technician on a working visa and take it from there or is it a skills based one to go with. I was looking at getting a work placement in the accounting technician over here 1st before i go over to get a bit of experience in this field aswell, but i tink the engineering qualification would be of better use over in australia. is there much work in the engineering field, i worked in instrumentation and calibration for a while, id like to get back into that again

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Caked Karen

hey guys,

just wondering about computer/T jobs in Sydney? is it ok - 2 of us heading over in October and my friend is qualified Oracle DBA where as i'm more on the support/interfacing side of things. Both of us have about 5 years experience...

just wondering if it something that we would get something in in Sydney or would we need to look elsewhere?

Thanks
    CK

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

hey guys,

just wondering about computer/T jobs in Sydney? is it ok - 2 of us heading over in October and my friend is qualified Oracle DBA where as i'm more on the support/interfacing side of things. Both of us have about 5 years experience...

just wondering if it something that we would get something in in Sydney or would we need to look elsewhere?

Thanks
    CK

There seems to be plenty of IT work out at the moment, esp the Oracle DBA - actually if you get him/her to send the CV to me (when you land, not now) I can send it on

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Caked Karen

ah thanks a million hussey..thanks a million. will be sure to PM when the time comes!

do you know what they seem to be looking for? for me ive have degree in software dev and 5 years exp in software support (pms,pos systems etc) but was worried that it wouldnt be enough kinda thing....kinda considering doing a couple of computer exams just to add to the cv....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Neil_S wrote: »
    I had previoulsy applied for and been granted a WHV for Australia however circumstances changed and I never made it over. Am I eligible to apply for another WHV?
    No

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Hi folks great tread here just asking some advice if anyone could help.
    im thinking of heading to perth i have been mostly in the bar trade for over 17years i am 40 years of age iv ran pubs in london and my last job was bar manager of a 5 star golf club over here. but that was until 2007 i was made redundant and went self employed hiring out marquees and catering equipment but that went bust last year, so asking what are my hopes of me getting work in perth in the bar trade? would my age go against me? any info would be very greatful and thanks for reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

CiaranC wrote: »
    No

Entirely incorrect. If Neil_S never activated the visa by coming into the country he can re-apply for a WHV assuming he still meets the requirements for obtaining one.

patwicklow wrote: »
    Hi folks great tread here just asking some advice if anyone could help.
    im thinking of heading to perth i have been mostly in the bar trade for over 17years i am 40 years of age iv ran pubs in london and my last job was bar manager of a 5 star golf club over here. but that was until 2007 i was made redundant and went self employed hiring out marquees and catering equipment but that went bust last year, so asking what are my hopes of me getting work in perth in the bar trade? would my age go against me? any info would be very greatful and thanks for reading.

Hey Pat. I'd advise you to do what I did when I came to this forum. Go through every page on this thread and the other thread entitled 'Thinking of coming to live in Australia' as you will find loads of previously answered questions regarding Visas etc. Like yourself i'm in the hospitality business (not out of college yet tho) and am looking to head over.. next October hopefully

As regards to working over there you are too old unfortunetly to get a working holiday visa (30 is the max) however you will find that Hospitality Management is in the 'skills list' so its possible you could get a Skilled Migration Visa.. I think. Check the links I have posted and you'll find it. To get a migration visa you must fill out a form - acquire a certain amount of points - which are calculated in regards to your english speaking abilities, experience, qualifications etc.. then you need an Australian company to sponser you - thats the hard bit! :eek:

But I'm no expert on Visas etc unlike some of the people on this site but I'd advise you, like I said to dedicate an hour or so just going through all the posts on this thread and the other one and you'll find loads of info

-mark

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/sol/#a

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 golucky

I'm a Quantity Surveyor with 2 years experience going to Perth in March on a WHV.

Would it be hard or easy for me to get a job there as a QS on a WHV?

Also if it is hard, is it easy to get any sort of job at all there right now?

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 twitty1

Just looking for some relevant advice like everyone else... Cousin (20) and I (22) are thinking of heading over to australia in september or so considering this country is folding up these days... Im finishing in May with a Business Degree in Marketing and Mgt and she is qualifying as a chef...i'd love to put my degree to use and work with a company over but i realise this is fairly difficult to do these days, can anyone give any advice?!! or somebody who works in this area who might like to offer some advice? I would greatly appreciate any info.. cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

golucky wrote: »
    I'm a Quantity Surveyor with 2 years experience going to Perth in March on a WHV.

Would it be hard or easy for me to get a job there as a QS on a WHV?

Also if it is hard, is it easy to get any sort of job at all there right now?

Thank you!

this might help, i'm in the same boat only have no working experience..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056147507

• Registered Users Posts: 20 elley29

twitty1 wrote: »
    Just looking for some relevant advice like everyone else... Cousin (20) and I (22) are thinking of heading over to australia in september or so considering this country is folding up these days... Im finishing in May with a Business Degree in Marketing and Mgt and she is qualifying as a chef...i'd love to put my degree to use and work with a company over but i realise this is fairly difficult to do these days, can anyone give any advice?!! or somebody who works in this area who might like to offer some advice? I would greatly appreciate any info.. cheers :)

Hey twitty1
    im in the same dilemma, got a business degree but cant get a job unless i have experience, but cant get experience unless i have a job! :confused:

would do office support or admin work, kinda worried thats gone to be a challenge.

Elley

• Registered Users Posts: 18 twitty1

Yeah i know its a sticky situation... How can u get experience if you cant get a job to start with besides working for nothing!!! :rolleyes:... are u currently in australia or u still in Ireland?.. I wish somebody could shed some light on this,,,, Big section on the news lastnite about australia and all the jobs over!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Anyone who can't get a job due to no exp isn't looking hard enough.
    There are graduate jobs availible.
    it might not be the beginings of the empire you are planning to build, but its quite common for graduates to have delusions of grandeur (and I means in general, all industries)

twitty1 wrote: »
    Yeah i know its a sticky situation... How can u get experience if you cant get a job to start with besides working for nothing!!! :rolleyes:... are u currently in australia or u still in Ireland?.. I wish somebody could shed some light on this,,,, Big section on the news lastnite about australia and all the jobs over!!!

@ Twitty 1, Im currently in Ireland but heading to Oz the 2nd week of March, ye I saw the news tonight and apparantly 1,000 people emigrating a week!! Scary!!Are you in ireland or oz?

@ Mellor, I saw jobs on some websites but they were full time and didnt know if id be eligble with a WHV? Is it better to wait until there?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 eljerro

@ elley29 have a look at seek.com.au have some friends over in Perth and they are all saying western Oz is buzzing right now with plenty of jobs around.... pretty much in the same boat although i have work exp... but its a bit scary heading into the unknow

hi eljerro ye its the fear of the unkown il try that website but could be a thing of looking when I get there, Im startin in sydney and shall see from there... When you going?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

elley29 wrote: »
    ye I saw the news tonight and apparantly 1,000 people emigrating a week!! Scary!!Are you in ireland or oz?

That's quite frankly not true.

Advertisement