Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHV Work thread - What Industries Are Still Booming Down Here?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Zambia wrote: »
    That's quite frankly not true.

Yip truth would be about 60 pw

• Registered Users Posts: 20 elley29

I think the 1,000 ment all over the world wasnt just to OZ...

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭nellyshark

Hi folks,

Been based about an hours north of Melbourne since Jan 1st in a pretty rural town.

Just wondering where would the best place be to apply for some work in the city.

I have a degree in eBusiness and about 18 months experience.

Also have designed and developed quite a few websites, primiarily using Modx and Wordpress.

Really looking to do anything, I have had interview with a couple of recruitment agencies in the city but its all "next week" and "soon" that the assignments will be.

Amy info appreciated :D

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭nellyshark

Hi folks,

Been based about an hours north of Melbourne since Jan 1st in a pretty rural town.

Just wondering where would the best place be to apply for some work in the city.

I have a degree in eBusiness and about 18 months experience.

Also have designed and developed quite a few websites, primiarily using Modx and Wordpress.

Really looking to do anything, I have had interview with a couple of recruitment agencies in the city but its all "next week" and "soon" that the assignments will be.

Any info appreciated :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14 eljerro

elley29 wrote: »
    hi eljerro ye its the fear of the unkown il try that website but could be a thing of looking when I get there, Im startin in sydney and shall see from there... When you going?

Starting in Perth in june... have friends and a base out there so its not as into the wilderness as it cud be... really excited not going to get to worked up about the whole work thing i have a business degree but id do anything barwork etc - doesnt bother me - anything far away from this depressing country for a while will do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Theimprover

Hi all

I am heading for QLD in May for a few weeks from Ireland , was planning on flying into Brisbane, my purpose is to find work and an employer to sponsor me as it just takes too long for a skilled visa, I am in the construction trade with about 15 yrs experience mainly as a dryliner (partitioning and ceiling fixing) I have had 20 men work for me at the one time, I would be probably be looking more for a foreman roll but I won't be too fussy I want to move my wife and two young kids with one on the way to the QLD area , so just to ask anyone that can help what areas are busy out there and what would be my chances of getting a sponsorship? I will be trying to.arrange for interviews for when I arrive in May. Any help greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Thinspired

Sorry if this question has been asked before but I can't seem to find much info on the topic.

Myself and partner are considering moving to Oz to work next year after spending a few months travelling, he's a civil engineer with plenty of experience (including in Oz) so he's pretty confident he'd get a 2-year sponsored visa. From what I understand I'd be entitled to a de facto visa but even if that takes a while to get sorted I'm entitled to a WHV.

What's the job scenario like for sub editors/layout editors/ writers or people with experience across all three fields? (about 4 years' experience). I can see already that if I did get work I'd be taking a 50% pay cut on what I earn here, but himself would be earning at least double what he's on now so it would balance out.

My main issue is finding something journalism related as there's really no point in me going for two years if it's going to be a huge step backwards in my career (I'm talking about experience here, not money). So is there work to be found?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Kaka86

Fellas with any kind of a trade pick up work so easily!! it really is much harder for women ...unless your occupation is on the skilled listing!! Going out on a WHV is a good way to go ... at least then you work for up to 6 months in a company , but your competing against ppl with full residency and working rights ... so it is tough!! i ended up doing work i wasnt experienced or qualified in, but money is money :) you will love it ... an amazing way of life and the perfect place for you and your partner to build a life!!! Best of luck and remember to look into jobs before you go over you can apply before you even go out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 LizzieOh

Hi all,
    I'm new to this, have wanted to join for ages but what pushed me to do it now is that i'm hoping to go to Oz in June, it will either be to Brisbane or Perth. I have a business/economics related degree but have no experience as havent been able to find work! I have always worked in retail, management and admin. I hear its tough enough for women to get jobs in Oz and I know there have been a few posts on this but Im really looking for some up to date info. I have been looking on seek.com.au and there seems to be loads of jobs in admin but I would imagine competition is fierce with the amount of people going on WHVs. I am not fussy about what I do (within moralistic reason!!) just want to be able to survive!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

LizzieOh wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I'm new to this, have wanted to join for ages but what pushed me to do it now is that i'm hoping to go to Oz in June, it will either be to Brisbane or Perth. I have a business/economics related degree but have no experience as havent been able to find work! I have always worked in retail, management and admin. I hear its tough enough for women to get jobs in Oz and I know there have been a few posts on this but Im really looking for some up to date info. I have been looking on seek.com.au and there seems to be loads of jobs in admin but I would imagine competition is fierce with the amount of people going on WHVs. I am not fussy about what I do (within moralistic reason!!) just want to be able to survive!

tough for women to get jobs :confused: ?
    Says who? do you mean a specific role or area?

There seems to be a large amount of IT jobs and construction, which mainly get filled by men

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 LizzieOh

Its just what I have heard... :confused: hopefully it is inaccurate... thats why i posted this, to find out? I know people there, mostly guys who have got jobs in construction, labouring etc. I am just wondering what the job scene is like for women there on a WHV?I dont mean to be making 'sweeping' statements at all I am new to this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Nick Diamond

LizzieOh wrote: »
    Its just what I have heard... :confused: hopefully it is inaccurate... thats why i posted this, to find out? I know people there, mostly guys who have got jobs in construction, labouring etc. I am just wondering what the job scene is like for women there on a WHV?I dont mean to be making 'sweeping' statements at all I am new to this :D

The job scene is exactly the same for women on a WHV as it is for women who are active members of the labour force...

I don't know who you've been talking to, but women and men are (like in most socities) treated equally in the work force. And australia being pretty PC there is a good supply for anyone who is qualified to work at the job

Bizarre assumption to have that its tough for women to get a job over here...

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭flushje

Hey guys, I hope I am in the correct place.

Basically my friends are moving to Australia for one year at the end of November. Unlike me, they all have degrees in marketing or something similar. I'm pretty hesitant about going as I am worried I wont get a job. I'm working in paddy power CS for the last 3 years so have plenty of experience in that sector. All in all, Id be very well experienced in customer service and all the duties that go with it. With no real college education should I be worried about being jobless?

Any help appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

Hi all, thinking of heading to Oz, just at the very early stages of planning it but can anyone tell me is there work available for a qualified accounting technician/part qualified accountant....

jessie37 wrote: »
    Hi all, thinking of heading to Oz, just at the very early stages of planning it but can anyone tell me is there work available for a qualified accounting technician/part qualified accountant....

accounts are generally in huge demand here...i dunno about part qualified account though. I'd say finish off your accountancy exams and then come out...

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

Hi all, I'm thinking about making the trip to Oz soon(Melbourne). I have a Science degree with 2 years industry experience. I'd be going over on a WHV, with a view to getting sponsered.

Anyone know what the likelyhood of that happening woud be?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 kevrr

Hi all, I'm thinking about making the trip to Oz soon(Melbourne). I have a Science degree with 2 years industry experience. I'd be going over on a WHV, with a view to getting sponsered.

Anyone know what the likelyhood of that happening woud be?

Cheers

What field of science is your degree/experience in?

Some industries over here are really booming (like mining), if you had experience in something related to that, like geology/earth science or something useful to the industry you'd have a good chance of getting a job and maybe sponsorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

kevrr wrote: »
    What field of science is your degree/experience in?

Some industries over here are really booming (like mining), if you had experience in something related to that, like geology/earth science or something useful to the industry you'd have a good chance of getting a job and maybe sponsorship.

Its more pharma companies, i'd be interested in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I often hear people mention that if you are on a WHV employers put you to "the bottom of the pile" in terms of potential employees, meaning you basically get considered last for the job. Can I ask why, or indeed if, this is the case?

I'm currently putting together a web design portfolio and I'll be heading to Oz (Brisbane) in June. Hopefully I'll be able to get work in this field but it's not the end of the world if I don't.

I ask because as things stand right now the ideal scenario would be that I could find work as a designer/front end developer and get sponsored. If a potential employer knew I was in it for the long haul would they be more likely to overlook the fact that I would be on a WHV?

The plan is to directly contact as many design companies as possible and hopefully line up a few interviews as early as I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Please note one important fact for people on a WHV.

They cannot by law sponsor you if they have not made a reasonable attempt to find an Australian to fill the position.

This is why they dont want WHV holders for permanent jobs.

• Advertisement

Essien wrote: »
    I often hear people mention that if you are on a WHV employers put you to "the bottom of the pile" in terms of potential employees, meaning you basically get considered last for the job. Can I ask why, or indeed if, this is the case?

In the scenario of picking berries and harvest work this would not be the case.

In terms of a professional job you have no permanent work rights on a WHV and you are limited to a 6 month stint. For an employer to sponsor like jumpy says they must first be eligible to be able to sponsor, and have advertised and found no suitable local candidate. Sort of puts about 90% of employers off.

Also there are requirement for the visa applicant, not everyone meets the requirements to be sponsored.

Most Irish people who get sponsored fall into 1 of 3 categories

1. They work in a profession that is in huge demand eg. Nursing, medicine
    2. They are sh*t hot at what they do.
    3. They are lucky enough to get a casual job for 6 months and form a good relationship with their employer that leads to getting sponsored.

Really it's up having something the employer wants plus a bit of luck to start with.

Otherwise it's far easier to employ a citizen/ PR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 christie bolger

Hello there all, Chris here Im heading down to oz from dublin in july with 3000 in my back pocket. Im 22 and im after spending 5 years in the army. I dont have any qualifications that'd be useful to me outside of the army so i'll be going over just to look for work really. Can anyone please throw me any piece of advice on where there is work to be had? I've heard brisbane is crying out for workers and the mines is always taking on people. I'll work at anything!

Hello there all, Chris here Im heading down to oz from dublin in july with 3000 in my back pocket. Im 22 and im after spending 5 years in the army. I dont have any qualifications that'd be useful to me outside of the army so i'll be going over just to look for work really. Can anyone please throw me any piece of advice on where there is work to be had? I've heard brisbane is crying out for workers and the mines is always taking on people. I'll work at anything!

Darwin if you really want to. Its a ****hole but they average 1 job for every 1 person.

Sydney is like 1 in 5 or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

jessie37 wrote: »

At the moment things are very quiet on the accountancy front, I just posted on a different thread about it so be careful before you commit or you'll be going home with your tail between your legs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Is tourism not THE most booming industry in Australia? If it weren't for tourists coming over on the WHV etc, a good bit of the country would be shagged?

seachto7 wrote: »
    Is tourism not THE most booming industry in Australia? If it weren't for tourists coming over on the WHV etc, a good bit of the country would be shagged?

you sound like someone else who used to post similar claims and was banned.

Really tourism is important to Australia but also has massive mining industry.

Tourism would be more important to Ireland who post Tiger has nothing to export but people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

mandrake04 wrote: »
    you sound like someone else who used to post here.

Really tourism is important to Australia but also has massive mining industry.

Tourism would be more important to Ireland who post Tiger has nothing to export but people.

Obviously mining, but there are so many places reliant on tourism in Australia. Half of bloody Queensland's towns outside of Brisbane would be backwaters if it weren't for the tourist industry........

seachto7 wrote: »
    Obviously mining, but there are so many places reliant on tourism in Australia. Half of bloody Queensland's towns outside of Brisbane would be backwaters if it weren't for the tourist industry........

Tourist. As in high spending Asian and American. Irish workers living on a shoestring are not really as highly valued. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Bansai

I've a question, very similar to one posted by Jessie37 a few weeks back.

Im a part qualified chartered accountant, heading to Oz in September on a one year WHV visa, after repeating one tax exam. Im fairly certain (please god, not trying to be cocky) that I should pass this one exam and if I do I will be a qualified accountant in November with 5+ years experience.

I saw a notice in the Irish Independent that Australia is currently going through an unprecedented demand for qualified Chartered Accountants. (The notice was from WalkerAnderson Accountants in Oz)

So basically I was thinking of doing a bar/restaurant type job for the few months Im there (as I have 3 years experience in this field too) and then hopefully when I qualify in November, go searching for an accountancy job.

Would anybody be able to give me any advice as to my plan? Does it sound alright or are bar/restaurant type jobs difficult to get?

Oh and the city thats on the cards is either Perth or Sydney.

Appreciate any replys!

• Advertisement

Hey guys,

I'm lookin for some work in the mines... i've tried to get some information through the search tool but i can't find anything...

Can any1 offer any advice?
    (pretty vague i know, but i don't even know where to start)

Advertisement