Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHV Work thread - What Industries Are Still Booming Down Here?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

What skills have you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 kevrr

Hey guys,

I'm lookin for some work in the mines... i've tried to get some information through the search tool but i can't find anything...

Can any1 offer any advice?
    (pretty vague i know, but i don't even know where to start)

Yeah man it can be hard to find info about it.

The answer to your question really all depends on what kind of work you're looking/willing to do. An industry as big as it is needs workers to do most things you can thing of. From all the different types of acual 'mining work', to the planning, to all the whole range of support services that go along with it.

Unfortunately a large part of getting most of those jobs is just knowing someone who can get you in. As an industry, it's very much about who you know. Having said that things are really booming at the moment so there is a lot of opportunity and with the right attitude there's a decent chance to get something. If you have any kind of skill they need at the moment (like previous experience mining or geology or something) you'd be flying. If not it's worth a try to contact the companies directly, or even re-locate out to some of the big mining towns like Kalgoorlie etc...., and try from there. A lot of the entry level jobs, they won't put much effort into advertising them on the big websites and what not.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

The who you know thing is because some companies offer bonus money to their employees for referring new workers. And it can be quite lucrative too. $500 for every successful new employee, $500 when they complete their 3 month trial and $500 when they have done another 3 months, that is where my husband works.

A lot of agencies taking on people with no minesite experience at the moment. You work for the agency for 3 months before the company commits to taking you on.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Holly_Golightly

Hi all, thinking of heading to Oz, just at the very early stages of planning it but can anyone tell me is there work available for a qualified interior architect/designer with 5 years post grad experience.....
    Or does any one have a list of the best arcitecture practices over there? I'm looking to head to Melbourne,

Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

Bansai wrote: »
    I've a question, very similar to one posted by Jessie37 a few weeks back.

Im a part qualified chartered accountant, heading to Oz in September on a one year WHV visa, after repeating one tax exam. Im fairly certain (please god, not trying to be cocky) that I should pass this one exam and if I do I will be a qualified accountant in November with 5+ years experience.

I saw a notice in the Irish Independent that Australia is currently going through an unprecedented demand for qualified Chartered Accountants. (The notice was from WalkerAnderson Accountants in Oz)

So basically I was thinking of doing a bar/restaurant type job for the few months Im there (as I have 3 years experience in this field too) and then hopefully when I qualify in November, go searching for an accountancy job.

Would anybody be able to give me any advice as to my plan? Does it sound alright or are bar/restaurant type jobs difficult to get?

Oh and the city thats on the cards is either Perth or Sydney.

Appreciate any replys!

Have a read of this thread, might give you an idea of what it's like at the moment. Things seem to change very fast though. I know that December and January are very quiet on the accounting jobs front even traditionally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Hi,

Myself and my friend are thinking of heading Oz/NZ on a WHV.
    I was wondering what the whoel process is or if I can be directed in the right direction.

Also, for jobs, my background is maths/finance. His would be maths also. We both have masters in meteorolgy aswell - not much use over here!
    Are the opportunities in finance vast?

he is looking for experience in renewable energy but I guess he would take any job once over there :)

Also, under the WHV it says you may not be in permanent employment - does this mean you cant work 9 -5 5 days a week?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 kevrr

Misticles wrote: »
    Hi,

Myself and my friend are thinking of heading Oz/NZ on a WHV.
    I was wondering what the whoel process is or if I can be directed in the right direction.

Also, for jobs, my background is maths/finance. His would be maths also. We both have masters in meteorolgy aswell - not much use over here!
    Are the opportunities in finance vast?

he is looking for experience in renewable energy but I guess he would take any job once over there :)

Also, under the WHV it says you may not be in permanent employment - does this mean you cant work 9 -5 5 days a week?

Thanks

Well the process is pretty straight forward. You just apply for the visa online (best place is the Australian Govt. website: immi.gov), and all going well they'll 'issue' you with a visa in a few days. Then you just get yourself to Australia. The Visa is linked to your passport electronically, so when you enter the country it activates.

About 'permanent employment', it basically just means you can't work at any one job for more than 6 months unless you get sponsored. During those 6 months however you can work 9-5, 5 days a week or what ever you like.

They're not just handing out jobs to everyone who steps off the boat, but there is a lot of opportunity here at the moment, and the economy is on the up and up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

kevrr wrote: »
    Well the process is pretty straight forward. You just apply for the visa online (best place is the Australian Govt. website: immi.gov), and all going well they'll 'issue' you with a visa in a few days. Then you just get yourself to Australia. The Visa is linked to your passport electronically, so when you enter the country it activates.

About 'permanent employment', it basically just means you can't work at any one job for more than 6 months unless you get sponsored. During those 6 months however you can work 9-5, 5 days a week or what ever you like.

They're not just handing out jobs to everyone who steps off the boat, but there is a lot of opportunity here at the moment, and the economy is on the up and up.

Great - thanks for that!

I know the job that I work in now, the company has branches over there so I could try get in there, an option anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 MilionMilesAway

Re engineering work,
    I've been working in Sydney in a consultancy for about 5 years on a employer sponsored visa.

People with experience (3-5years) should be ok to get a job in Sydney, (although I personally believe that Oz is on the cusp of a housing crash and all associated heartaches). One of the previous posters hit the nail on the head, Qld or WA is where the major jobs are at.

It is very tricky to get a job as a grad engineer in Australia, as the company that sponsors you will need to prove that they cant find an Aussie to fill the same position. Its the old catch 22, you cant get a job without experience and you can get experience without a job.

Your best bet is recruitment agents, or specific discipline industry magazines (eg roads, water, structural). That’s where people who are serious about setting themselves up go. The local Irish rag (Irish Echo) has loads of recruitment agents in it, but I cant vouch for whether or not there any good.

One caveat I will put on moving down under, although its not the one way ticket it would have been 50 years ago, it is a long, long way away and its not easy when your family only see their Granddaughter/niece/ cousin growing up a couple of times a week via skype.

Seems like homesickness is the birthright of every person bearing an Irish passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 gallagbr

It is very tricky to get a job as a grad engineer in Australia, as the company that sponsors you will need to prove that they cant find an Aussie to fill the same position. Its the old catch 22, you cant get a job without experience and you can get experience without a job.

Your best bet is recruitment agents, or specific discipline industry magazines (eg roads, water, structural). That’s where people who are serious about setting themselves up go. The local Irish rag (Irish Echo) has loads of recruitment agents in it, but I cant vouch for whether or not there any good.

I am a graduate civil engineer with a masters and almost one years postgrad experience in Ireland and am going to Brisbane in June on a WHV. Seems to me from what I'm hearing from my grad Engineer friends in oz that engineering jobs are tricky to pick up but compared to Ireland or the UK there is no comparison in terms of effort required in the job hunting process. I hope to pick up work fairly quickly..within a couple of months anyway. From what I hear the most important thing for a graduate going out is that you stress your commitment to staying in oz once sponsored instead of bailing out of the country once trained up. Any thoughts?

• Advertisement

gallagbr,
    Ya your dead right, there are a few things that definitely weight your chances.

1. Actually being in Australia, its a bit of a gamble, but as they say, if your not in you cant win. Trying to get a job in Australia from Ireland is a waste of time, unless your lucky enough to have a unique skill that only three people in the world share. Put yourself in the shoes of the person that is looking for good staff. Are you going to choose from the pile of CV's in front of you saying that your well qualified, hardworking and living twenty mins down the road. Or are you going to choose the CV from the guy who is well qualified, hardworking and living 10,000 miles away. It'll be quickly considered a bin liner. Also, PLEASE spellcheck!!!!!!!

2. I totally agree with you, showing that you have (or are in the process of) putting down long term roots is essential. Joining local GAA clubs, professional associations (Eng's Aust), having a local girlfriend, mortgage etc... all display intent to stay. And for God's sake, during the interview, don’t go in with the "sure I'll give it a lash and see how it goes" attitude, preparation is key.

3. Think of all the training you put in before a match/race/competition. If not for that preparation you'd fall flat on your face and embarrass yourself, so how can you expect to get a job paying decent money without putting in some leg work.
    Spending some money up front on getting your CV in good shape, this is how you get your foot in the door. Then potentially getting some coaching re the interview.
    Then doing some research on the company, you should know the answers to all the questions that you'll potentially be asked. No crap, cliché answers. A la
    Q "What do you see as your biggest weakness"
    A "I work too hard....... silence...... ok....... We'll be in touch"

4. In relation to your situation gallagbr, I came over hear years ago on a WHV and found it tricky to get engineering work. Things may have changes and in fairness I was not too bothered about doing engineering work. But if you do get an engineering job, and assuming your decent then the company will likely bed over backwards to hang onto you. Good people are like hens teeth. Thankfully Irish people generally have a good rep for being smart, resourceful and hardworking..... Please don’t mess that up :)

Best of luck mate.
    PS Bring Sunscreen

• Registered Users Posts: 30 gallagbr

gallagbr,
    Ya your dead right, there are a few things that definitely weight your chances.

1. Actually being in Australia, its a bit of a gamble, but as they say, if your not in you cant win. Trying to get a job in Australia from Ireland is a waste of time, unless your lucky enough to have a unique skill that only three people in the world share. Put yourself in the shoes of the person that is looking for good staff. Are you going to choose from the pile of CV's in front of you saying that your well qualified, hardworking and living twenty mins down the road. Or are you going to choose the CV from the guy who is well qualified, hardworking and living 10,000 miles away. It'll be quickly considered a bin liner. Also, PLEASE spellcheck!!!!!!!

2. I totally agree with you, showing that you have (or are in the process of) putting down long term roots is essential. Joining local GAA clubs, professional associations (Eng's Aust), having a local girlfriend, mortgage etc... all display intent to stay. And for God's sake, during the interview, don’t go in with the "sure I'll give it a lash and see how it goes" attitude, preparation is key.

3. Think of all the training you put in before a match/race/competition. If not for that preparation you'd fall flat on your face and embarrass yourself, so how can you expect to get a job paying decent money without putting in some leg work.
    Spending some money up front on getting your CV in good shape, this is how you get your foot in the door. Then potentially getting some coaching re the interview.
    Then doing some research on the company, you should know the answers to all the questions that you'll potentially be asked. No crap, cliché answers. A la
    Q "What do you see as your biggest weakness"
    A "I work too hard....... silence...... ok....... We'll be in touch"

4. In relation to your situation gallagbr, I came over hear years ago on a WHV and found it tricky to get engineering work. Things may have changes and in fairness I was not too bothered about doing engineering work. But if you do get an engineering job, and assuming your decent then the company will likely bed over backwards to hang onto you. Good people are like hens teeth. Thankfully Irish people generally have a good rep for being smart, resourceful and hardworking..... Please don’t mess that up :)

Best of luck mate.
    PS Bring Sunscreen

Thanks for the advice, Yep, preparation is definitely key I reckon. I have got my CV already adjusted for the oz jobs market and and now that I've got a fixed date for flying out I'm going to start contacting recruiters in the next few weeks to organise interviews for when I arrive to save time. I'm thinking recruiters might be better than potentially wasting my time by applying directly to graduate scheme as the recruiters will at least know what their client is looking for and hence my chances of securing the job. Would you agree?

Unless you are in the country i would not apply for jobs.

Yes, I would agree with you. The one thing I would say is that it may be worth giving a few recruiters in a few cities (Perth, Sydney, Brisbane) a call a call before you fly. They will advise you as to where the major opportunities are in your field.
    One of the first things they will ask you is have you approached other recruiters. Think long and hard about what you tell them. If you say that you have approached other recruiters they may not have as much interest in you or request that you dump the other recruiter.
    If you say that have not, then you run the risk of two recruiters providing your CV twice for the same job, and then that'll come back to bite you.

Or when they ask you have you contacted any other recruiters, you could ask them why they want to know and hear what they have to say.

Anyway, best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

WA is again the place to be looking -

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/newshome/9191823/wa-needs-extra-33-000-skilled-workers/
    WA needs extra 33,000 skilled workers

WA's resources sector must find an extra 33,000 skilled workers by the end of next year or face time and budget blowouts that could harm the State's international reputation as a competitive mining market.

The Chamber of Minerals and Energy will today release its State growth outlook, a 10-year forecast of labour and infrastructure needs based on detailed projections from companies behind 70 per cent of WA's major resources projects.

The report, which focuses on the industry's needs for labour, power and water, reveals that direct employment in the sector will soon pass 100,000 people, or 10 per cent of the State's workforce.

It projects an extra 34,000 workers will be needed in the Pilbara alone by the end of next year.

The outlook report believes that direct employment in the resources sector will peak at 122,000 between late next year and mid 2013.

This is when the construction phase of a raft of major iron ore and gas projects including Gorgon, Pluto and BHP Billiton's Pilbara expansion reach their peaks.

The report predicts it will ease to about 100,000 workers in 2014 and 2015 as the projects enter their operations phases.

Direct employment in the mining sector was about 76,000 in 2009 and stood at 42,000 10 years ago, underscoring the extent of the explosion in labour demand the mining boom has created.

As much as 90 per cent of the construction workforce is expected to be employed on a fly-in, fly-out basis, pitting WA projects against those in Queensland in a competition for labour.

The report suggests about 85 per cent of the additional FIFO workers will be based in Perth and Peel, with the remainder expected to come from interstate.

With the WA job market running at close to full employment, much of the shortfall in the next 18 months will need to be made up from skilled migration.

"Our ability to address these significant labour issues will impact directly on the ability to deliver these projects on time and on budget," CME chief executive Reg Howard-Smith said yesterday.

He said the ability of WA projects to hit deadlines and budgets went directly to the State's credibility as an investment destination in a globally competitive market for the supply of commodities such as iron ore and gas.

On energy, the report projects a 70 per cent increase in total State electricity consumption in the next five years as new projects come on stream. Eighty per cent of that demand is expected to be met by gas-fired power stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Our sales guy had some meetings out in Perth during the week - they've introduced some laws to prevent wage inflation. Won't have too much of an impact I'd imagine - the salary cap for a kitchen hand on an offshore rig (2 weeks on, 1 week off - flight anywhere included) is $420,000. $492,000 I believe for a welder.

420 grand a year to wash dishes on a offshore rig ???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Zambia wrote: »
    420 grand a year to wash dishes on a offshore rig ???

Thats the salary cap, so god knows what they're actually earning, but yes.

At least now I know who can afford pokies all the live long day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Unless you are in the country i would not apply for jobs.

Did you ever find out from your EX immigration friend if applying for jobs on a tourist visa is 100% legal?

• Advertisement

yes will get back to you on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

My mates, cousins, neighbour, uncles, sister:D is working in a "strip" club in Sydney

Theres no wage just tips

She makes about $600-700 a night after giving 20% to the club owner, She works there 5 nights a week (6 hours).

$3000-3500 approx cash in hand a week, she also is on traffic control, making $1150 before tax. Not bad money at all.

And she has a Honors Degree in Traffic Management Systems or something.......

Wonder is there many English/Irish working in strip clubs in Oz?

1 word

Showgirls....

Right when asked the question is it illegal to look for work on a Holiday Visa he said.

........Sort of

If you came to Australia with the intention to find work on a holiday visa thats bad.

If you came here on holiday and decided to apply for something while you where here thats probably ok.

All in all your going to be judged on merit, lets say a brickie arriving on a holiday VISA with trowels, CV's and stuff. Probably not a good move.

So in a nutshell its a no you cant.

That and you'd defo end up on Border Patrol.... Oh the shame

Right when asked the question is it illegal to look for work on a Holiday Visa he said.

........Sort of

If you came to Australia with the intention to find work on a holiday visa thats bad.

If you came here on holiday and decided to apply for something while you where here thats probably ok.

All in all your going to be judged on merit, lets say a brickie arriving on a holiday VISA with trowels, CV's and stuff. Probably not a good move.

So in a nutshell its a no you cant.

I meant about how legal it is coming on a holiday visa and applying for several jobs and trying to get foot in the door for sponsorship. Its a very grey area and I have noted that migration agents never comment when asked on other forums about its legality, I suppose some their past clients might have done it and not got caught.

I suppose its a case of "Exactly whats written on the tin"

Tourist Visa (subclass 676)
    This visa allows people to visit Australia for a holiday or recreation, or to visit family and friends. This visa may also be used for other short-term non-work purposes including study for less than three months.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 donCORK

Hi all. I recently qualified as a Gym instructor/Personal Trainer and plan on heading to Australia or New Zealand after or around Christmas. Does anyone work in the industry with experience of working in said countries, is there much work available and does it pay well etc?

Thanks in advance
    Don.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I friend of mine is a PT for a gym here in sydney.
    I know that my gym is looking for more PTs.

What qualification do you have, is it valid in Oz?
    I'm not sure what the pay is exactly, only what I have over heard, but i think they get $200 per week base salary and then after that its income from clients. You are basically self employed

• Registered Users Posts: 41 donCORK

Hi Mellor, thanks for the reply.

My qualification is ITEC and it recognised in Oz and Nz.

$200 doesn't sound like a whole lot for a full time job but one can make a small fortune from personal training. My goal would be to teach classes such as spinning, boxercise, circuit training, med ball etc!

Could you post the link to your gyms website if they have one please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

Well the instructors in my gym get paid a miserly $35 per class, the head trainer gets $50. There are different levels charged by the pt in my gym, basically the new unproven guy gets to charge the least. I think it is around $30 per 30 minutes with the top guy charging double. I also don't think the pt get paid a retainer unless they are also working as a general trainer. If you are a pt exclusively you will have to pay them the retainer for use of the gym and equipment.

Advertisement