Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHV Work thread - What Industries Are Still Booming Down Here?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 jaycarlow

Guys ive been re directed here.Was just wondering if anyone who is in Perth or knows anybody in Perth has any Carpentry work going? Ive CVs in alot of places but want to try as many avenues as possible looking for work.Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

donCORK wrote: »
    $200 doesn't sound like a whole lot for a full time job but one can make a small fortune from personal training. My goal would be to teach classes such as spinning, boxercise, circuit training, med ball etc!
    That's only what I heard.
    $200 is from the gym just to provide the service.
    Then after that you are on your own, you might get away with $45 (1've no idea if you get all of this or say $30) an hour. pick your own days and times, you are literally self employed. Say you do 30 classes, at $30-45 per class, thats $1100-1550 a week. 20 classes is 800-1100

It's basically up to you to find and keep clients.

Some PTs are also instructors in gyms, my gym runs maybe 70 classes a week, so different PTs do differen ones. They would be as part of a wage from the gym, not a part of the self employed side of this i imagine.

http://www.fitnessfirst.com.au/ is a pretty big chain of gyms (I'm a member)
    Essentiall a globogym, but prob good in terms of getting clients
    ellaq wrote: »
    Well the instructors in my gym get paid a miserly $35 per class, the head trainer gets $50. There are different levels charged by the pt in my gym, basically the new unproven guy gets to charge the least. I think it is around $30 per 30 minutes with the top guy charging double. I also don't think the pt get paid a retainer unless they are also working as a general trainer. If you are a pt exclusively you will have to pay them the retainer for use of the gym and equipment.
    I think the exact details vary a lot from gym to gym. Ditto for insurance.
    Obviously the gyms allow PTs to use the gym, but remember everyone of his clients is a paying member of the gym, so they make money that way. so I imagine a deal could be struck.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

I would take my example as possible worst case scenario. For $35 per class my gym struggles to get instructors. They also make the new trainers clean the gym and equipment (which is dated), vacuum daily. We have a high turnover of staff here and no local competition. I don't know if the leisure centres pay more or just better places to work but that is where all the staff leave to. Apart from the head trainer and the top PT.

The mines also have trainers in their gyms. Don't know how much they get paid but also an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

jaycarlow wrote: »
    Guys ive been re directed here.Was just wondering if anyone who is in Perth or knows anybody in Perth has any Carpentry work going? Ive CVs in alot of places but want to try as many avenues as possible looking for work.Cheers.

Do us a favour pal and let us know how ya get on. How many replies to cvs an that you get. I'll be in the same boat come august.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sparksman2008

Hello,
    I posted before asking for some information on moving to Aus, anyone got any info on whats the best part to move to gain work in construction as an electrician ? and once you have the electricians test completed out there, what kind of weekly rate of pay would be expected.
    I heard perth is a good place to go as it is on the west coast and most people going from Ireland will go to the east coast and that in perth theie is a big shortage of people for work there.
    Also would it be best to go for the skilled migration visa and is it best to use a company or apply direct for the visa.

Cheers for the replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭TKline

Xavi6 wrote: »
    WA is again the place to be looking -

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/newshome/9191823/wa-needs-extra-33-000-skilled-workers/
    WA needs extra 33,000 skilled workers

WA's resources sector must find an extra 33,000 skilled workers by the end of next year or face time and budget blowouts that could harm the State's international reputation as a competitive mining market.

The Chamber of Minerals and Energy will today release its State growth outlook, a 10-year forecast of labour and infrastructure needs based on detailed projections from companies behind 70 per cent of WA's major resources projects.

The report, which focuses on the industry's needs for labour, power and water, reveals that direct employment in the sector will soon pass 100,000 people, or 10 per cent of the State's workforce.

It projects an extra 34,000 workers will be needed in the Pilbara alone by the end of next year.

Yeah, all the growth is happening in the mining sector at the expense of other sectors. It is a form of Dutch Disease that will destroy the Australian economy outside the mining sector. House prices will collapse at an alarming rate as the Reserve bank is forced to lift interest rates to cool inflation cause by the mining boom.

Australia's property bubble is doomed. Awareness of the bubble is really seeping into the brains of the masses. IMO the biggest driver of house prices is sentiment, when consumers are confident they’ll bid up prices to crazy levels irrespective of fundamentals, but now the tides turning, panic is setting in and they’ll all run for the exits at the same time, especially those speculators holding multiple investment properties.

I can smell the fear. It’s palpable on the Australian Property Forum where the desperate bulls and spruikers are frantically posting to try and overcome the bearish sentiment, but it's not working!

The bears are in charge on Australia's property forums!

For the property bulls and spruikers, the party is over and they know it. No more endless capital gains, no more rents through the roof, no more easy credit, no more lo w interest rates, no more mass immigration. No more stimulus.

Nothing left to keep in air in the bubble. The govt is out of ammo. The RBA wants the bubble to deflate, and that's what will happen!

Most industry in Australia, outside of mining, is doomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Hello,
    I posted before asking for some information on moving to Aus, anyone got any info on whats the best part to move to gain work in construction as an electrician ? and once you have the electricians test completed out there, what kind of weekly rate of pay would be expected.
    I heard perth is a good place to go as it is on the west coast and most people going from Ireland will go to the east coast and that in perth theie is a big shortage of people for work there.
    Also would it be best to go for the skilled migration visa and is it best to use a company or apply direct for the visa.

Cheers for the replies.

I'm an electrician in Perth at the minute. There is lots of work here if you've got an 'A' grade licence. It can be harder to get work without one and you will get paid less. Generally the wages are between $30-$36 p/h for the city with the licence.
    Have you looked into getting a licence yet? It is a bit of an ordeal and it will probably take you at least 6 months to get it. Have a look at this for some info on getting a licence: http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97

Do you not qualify for the working holiday visa? You are looking at waiting between 12-24 months for a skilled visa to be approved. If you are willing to do alot of research and are good at paperwork then it is fairly straightforward to apply for the visa. If not then forget about it and pay the extra couple of grand and get an agent to do it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BigAlShep

Hi folks. Myself and my soon to be wife (1 week) are planning on heading out to Oz in Sept for a year on WHV instead of going on honeymoon. Have been reading over a few of these threads now and it looks like this is prob the best one for answers to my questions. We plan to work and travel but none of the 2 of us have been to Oz before and we are just wondering where to start???

We were thinking of starting in Sydney and maybe working our way up the coast as far as Cairns for the first 6 months and then heading to Perth/WA for the last 6 months. We are both under 30 and have plenty of experience in the Tourism industry ( holiday parks, adventure centres, pubs, clubs, restuarants etc.) but I would also like to do some farm work like tractor driving etc and herself has some experience working with horses and children. I just want to know where is the best place to go for jobs and also would my travel plan be best suited for those type of jobs?

Any help or advice guys would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Keep your pay slips for the the farm work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭HBK

Hi Guys,

Quickie....what are jobs like at the min in IT?

Do companies frown upon people with a WHV considering you can only do contract work for upto 6 months?

Just wondering as I'm moving down in September, with 5 years IT work experience behind me here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

jaycarlow wrote: »

hi look up a company called bregma, i worked for them a few years back they do big commerical form work jobs, pay roughly 45/hr. great mob to work for talking to some mates recently and i think they are working on a cop station in the city... very irish friendly company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 lucylocket82

Hi guys,
    Ive been redirected to this thread when i posted the following.I would appreciate any advise on my queries.Thanks!

Hi all,

Just wondering if any of you could perhaps shed some light on the metal fabrication / welding industry in Oz?
    Myself and my boyf are moving to Melbourne on August 24th on the WHV.
    He is a qualified metal fabricator / welder and has 9 yrs experience (apart from the 4yrs apprenticeship) on site / off site.

We have been scowering Oz job sites and 99% say you require your own tools.Does anyone know if tools are expensive to buy in Oz? We dont really wana go down the route of shipping stuff over until we know for definite that we will stay more permanently.
    Also, i read somewhere that he will need to have his skills tested?Is this true?How does he go about doing that?
    Also, will employers look for qualifications certs?

Apologies for all the questions but we just want to ensure we have everything in order.
    Although we fly into Melbourne, we would be more than willing to head elsewhere in Oz if the right job opportunity came about.

Thanks in advancebiggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Raphael Mc Enroe

Hey,just read through most of this,some good tips and info here. Well me and a friend are heading to perth around 10th september. Flights not booked yet. He has a completted mechanical engineering apprenticship. I dont have any qualifications but have experince in a few different areas which referances would be no problem. I am a barman atm but would like to try something different like construction and anything in that area and have the bar work to fall back on if it is hard to get work in these areas. I have over 6yrs experience of bar work and fairly good at it. I saw a post there saying you need to do some course to be able to serve alcohol there but could not find anymore info on that. Basically my question is : Is construction work or something similar hard to get work in perth and what is the situation on barwork(like how long would it take to get a cert or whatever it is that is needed to do barwork and roughly how long it takes to get).

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Hey,just read through most of this,some good tips and info here. Well me and a friend are heading to perth around 10th september. Flights not booked yet. He has a completted mechanical engineering apprenticship. I dont have any qualifications but have experince in a few different areas which referances would be no problem. I am a barman atm but would like to try something different like construction and anything in that area and have the bar work to fall back on if it is hard to get work in these areas. I have over 6yrs experience of bar work and fairly good at it. I saw a post there saying you need to do some course to be able to serve alcohol there but could not find anymore info on that. Basically my question is : Is construction work or something similar hard to get work in perth and what is the situation on barwork(like how long would it take to get a cert or whatever it is that is needed to do barwork and roughly how long it takes to get).

Luckily for you you can do your rsa cert online. Just type onto google rsa course Perth' and you will be directed to the website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Laurz858

flushje wrote: »
    Hey guys, I hope I am in the correct place.

Basically my friends are moving to Australia for one year at the end of November. Unlike me, they all have degrees in marketing or something similar. I'm pretty hesitant about going as I am worried I wont get a job. I'm working in paddy power CS for the last 3 years so have plenty of experience in that sector. All in all, Id be very well experienced in customer service and all the duties that go with it. With no real college education should I be worried about being jobless?Heya!! Thats funny, Im goin at the end of November too and Ive worked in Dial a Bet for the last 4 years! I do the Talisma aswell! Maybe see ya over there so! :) Whole of Paddy Powers prob end up over there! Did ya know that Paddy Powers have shares in the company Sports Bet over there, I think they are based in Melbourne and Darwin so cud be worth lookin into! Theres a good few jobs advertised on the work with paddy website for the company in Oz! Ya shud check it out! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

I'm curious as to know people's experience of doing the RSA certificiation? Where did you do it? Would you recomend them?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭niva*sis

hey everyone...

so, has anyone on here doing any office work for the mines??

if so how did u find it? im looking to move to oz and im considering this an option.

any info is appreciated.

thanks

niva*sis wrote: »
    hey everyone...

so, has anyone on here doing any office work for the mines??

if so how did u find it? im looking to move to oz and im considering this an option.

any info is appreciated.

thanks

Those jobs are sought after. I don't know of anyone that does office work onsite on a WHV. However it would be easier to try to secure a temporary contract in a mining company city office. There are always agencies that place staff in these companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭melb

Thinking of getting a car and driving from Melbourne over towards Perth and then maybe up the coast.

Thing is-have to do the rural work to get second year WHV. Will have 5 months to do it-was looking at doing maybe two months in SA and then one month around Kalgoorie. Has anyone done any rural work in SA-even around this time of year? Is there any specific towns that would be best to look in-I've checked out Renmark and its looks like an option.

All suggestions welcome!

Those jobs are sought after. I don't know of anyone that does office work onsite on a WHV. However it would be easier to try to secure a temporary contract in a mining company city office. There are always agencies that place staff in these companies.

hey thanks for your reply.
    yes working in a mining company city office is exactly what i would love to do. do you know any of these places in perth, have u got names of any, have u had any friends with experience of this type of work?

thanks again:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 emilyosulz

Hi All,

I'm just wondering what the job situation is like in Sydney/Melbourne for Credit Control/Accounts Receivable. I'm currently in a role of a Credit Controller for the past 3 years, wondering if I would find it hard/easy to get a job in that line of work?

I've looked at Seek.com but would appreciate a more personal opinion from people that may have or are working in this area already in Auz.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

:)

Hi All,

I'm just wondering what the job situation is like in Sydney/Melbourne for Credit Control/Accounts Receivable. I'm currently in a role of a Credit Controller for the past 3 years, wondering if I would find it hard/easy to get a job in that line of work?

I've looked at Seek.com but would appreciate a more personal opinion from people that may have or are working in this area already in Auz.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Visa type?

niva*sis wrote: »
    hey thanks for your reply.
    yes working in a mining company city office is exactly what i would love to do. do you know any of these places in perth, have u got names of any, have u had any friends with experience of this type of work?

thanks again:D

I think Kellys had the some of the bigger contracts in Perth like Woodside, BHP. The mining companies paid a little above average hourly rate for temp work. But it has been a long time since I was in your situation and things may have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Its pretty easy to get a temp/contract job in any office based industry with some (6months+) experience, in Melbourne anyway.

hussey wrote: »
    Visa type?

WHV

I think Kellys had the some of the bigger contracts in Perth like Woodside, BHP. The mining companies paid a little above average hourly rate for temp work. But it has been a long time since I was in your situation and things may have changed.

thank you for that info anyway i will still look into it just incase :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 rph1981

Hi all,

I am wondering what recruitment agencies people have found useful for office temporary work in the Melbourne area. Also, would people recommend going into their offices in person?

Thanks in advance. I searched for a similar thread but could not find any.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Adecco and Hays are meant to be 2 of the better ones and they are 2 of the biggest as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭melb

Would definitely NOT recommend Hays.

Adecco, Mosaic, Accountancy Options are a few of the decent ones.

Best if you apply through seek.com.au like everyone can't see them letting you in without an appointment.

Advertisement