Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHV Work thread - What Industries Are Still Booming Down Here?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

melb wrote: »
    Would definitely NOT recommend Hays.

why so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭melb

why so?

Why would you recommend them? Have you used them?

Not in Melbourne but I've used them in Ireland and a friend of mine worked for the one in Sydney who were also great to deal with (from what friends of mine had said anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭melb

I've used them in Melbourne. Staff did not know what the position required, how relevant my qualifications were, were not in regular contact with the employer, tried to dodge paying approved overtime even though the company had paid them for it, I could go on.

Company I am with now are big. They use three companies for temps - Skilled Grouped, Inter Staffing and Adecco. I'd stick to these if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

We use Hays in work - no real problems so far ... yes they make mistakes, but pretty much in line with all the other companies

as in no Major issues with Hays, and more good feedback than bad

• Advertisement

hussey wrote: »
    We use Hays in work - no real problems so far ... yes they make mistakes, but pretty much in line with all the other companies

as in no Major issues with Hays, and more good feedback than bad

That's good to know as I intend to temp with them when I get there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Probably has been asked loads already but sure i'll give it a go...

How difficult is it for civil engineers on a WHV? 6 months in an engineering company is nothing and I cant imagine companies wanting to hire them for such a short time, or would they see the 6 months as say a trial period in which they can sponsor or not sponsor them after. I'll only have about 9-12months experience by the time I go so i'm unsure what chance i would have. Has anyone here got an engineering job over there with a similar scenario to myself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 emmacollins7

Hi All,

I just read through some of the posts and there are alot of people on here who seem to know their stuff so I'm hoping someone can help me?

I'm an inteior Architect with and honours degree and 3 years experience and I'm going to make the big move to OZ, preferably in Melborne. Can anyone reccommend some good agencies and does anyone know of anyone who got a job while still in Ireland in the design Industry? Or, is it better or adviseable to go there first?

All help welcome thanks a million.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Re: Temping agencies

Deb Davis in Spectrum People, 440 Collins street. She's an absolute chief. I really couldnt recommend her any more highly.

She got me a job in 48 hours and when I grew to dislike it after 3months promptly moved me to a better paying job. She's also not a young, stuck up RA like most of them out here. She'll bring you in for a chat, prob recommend some bars if your new to melbourne, get to work for you and give you a call. Shes also always available for a call if you need anything.

Christ that all reads so spammy. Meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ammo123

Deb Davis in Spectrum People, 440 Collins street. She's an absolute chief. I really couldnt recommend her any more highly.

She got me a job in 48 hours and when I grew to dislike it after 3months promptly moved me to a better paying job. She's also not a young, stuck up RA like most of them out here. She'll bring you in for a chat, prob recommend some bars if your new to melbourne, get to work for you and give you a call. Shes also always available for a call if you need anything.

When you say you grew to dislike it...did you just go back to here while still in that job and ask for something different.

I'm bored silly where I am but can't afford a gap in employment and didnt think the temping agency would appreciate me complaining...i.e. be slower to place me elsewhere!?

I know this isn't strictly Oz related but...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 emmacollins7

Hi, thanks a mill for your response. However Spectrum seem to only recruit finance people and I'm in design. One more question, does anyone know when you get sponsored for a job are your family members, ie; children, included on the visa?

Thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Hi, thanks a mill for your response. However Spectrum seem to only recruit finance people and I'm in design. One more question, does anyone know when you get sponsored for a job are your family members, ie; children, included on the visa?

Thanks a mill

Yeah you can add them to your application as long as the sponsor agree's

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

ammo123 wrote: »
    When you say you grew to dislike it...did you just go back to here while still in that job and ask for something different.

I'm bored silly where I am but can't afford a gap in employment and didnt think the temping agency would appreciate me complaining...i.e. be slower to place me elsewhere!?

I know this isn't strictly Oz related but...

Well, I told her she has two weeks to find me a new job, Im looking myself but if she gets me one, I'll happily stay with her/spectrum.

Its in her best interests to keep you employed (as she makes an hourly on you) and she does a very good job at that.

I dont know about your circumstances but if your in a country with low job opps I wouldnt be complaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ciaran.t

Hi all,
    I’m just looking for a bit of info.
    I’m thinking of moving over to oz when I graduate next year, I was just wondering if it is easy for graduates to get jobs and weather there are many jobs available in the wildlife/ecology fields?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

ciaran.t wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I’m thinking of moving over to oz when I graduate next year, I was just wondering if it is easy for graduates to get jobs and weather there are many jobs available in the wildlife/ecology fields?

Well if there is one thing about Australia it has plenty of wildlife, not sure wether there are many graduate jobs suitable on a WHV I guess.

Have a look at www.seek.com.au and see what is on offer, you can then gauge how you might fair in that industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Is there much demand for Business grads in the likes of Perth/Melbourne?

What kinda job did you get?

What area's in business are most sought after?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Hey Guys I have one more year to do to get my ordinary degree in Civil Eng., will this be enough to get me a job or am I better of doing my honours degree ( which takes 2 years ) or will it make much differance, answers from engineers please

What kind of job / visa?

You can a long time stay in Aus or something than will tie you over on a WHV?

You might find it hard to get sponsorship on a grad visa (as min wage and have to show an Australian can't do your job)

But saying that, you could work in a regional area and get a 2nd year visa and possibly have 2 years exp under your belt

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

hey just out of interest, did anyone here work on a Cattle Station?

Its just my gf is worrying she wont be fit to do her regional work for her 2nd visa if we can't get fruit picking, also has anyone worked picking pearls up in Broome etc.

I would like to know how heavy the work is?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭GodlessInfidel

Does anyone know if there is many oppurtunities in the Social Work/Care field in Oz?

I have checked seek.au but the site is not very helpful insofar as it doesn't tell you what experience/qualifications are required for particular jobs.

I do not have a degree but have been working in a transitional housing project with homeless young adults for the last three years in Ireland.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

Hey Guys I have one more year to do to get my ordinary degree in Civil Eng., will this be enough to get me a job or am I better of doing my honours degree ( which takes 2 years ) or will it make much differance, answers from engineers please

Benny, do the 2 years.
    The ordinary degree (old diploma) was originally meant as a means to get people work as engineering technicans etc. While it would get you a site engineering job in ireland up to 3 years ago in aus they won't recognise you as an engineer. you would prob get a job with a busted ass contractor or a technician somewhere but you would never make it to the earning levels etc of a "full" engineer, could be difference between $100k per year and $200k per year because a full degree opens the door to the big tier 1 companies. You also get to choose design roles or site roles. Also consider points that you get for permanent residency application.
    Get your degree and get your butt to WA, any job with anything to do with dirt is where it's at.
    D.pop, B.Eng, Hons.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

ciaran.t wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Target your search in WA and base it around EPCM companies. I know for a fact that many of the big mines are in the process of large expansions or planning large expansions over next 5 years (depending on resource shareprices) and there are not enough environmental advisors in oz to meet demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Does anyone know if there is many oppurtunities in the Social Work/Care field in Oz?

I have checked seek.au but the site is not very helpful insofar as it doesn't tell you what experience/qualifications are required for particular jobs.

I do not have a degree but have been working in a transitional housing project with homeless young adults for the last three years in Ireland.

Thanks

Hi GodlessInfidel; what is your degree in (big difference between social work and social care!). One of my classmates went straight to OZ after her Masters in SW and got work, and I know a lot who got work in social care positions...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Hi Guys,

What are my chances of geting some i.t work (support/admin) on a whv.
    I will have two years experience and a ccna + degree, looking to hear any responses from people working in this area. Thanks:)

There seems to be a decent amount of IT work at the moment zweton - I would suggest reading up through various threads about how to get and look for work.
    www.seek.com.au is the big one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 SanAthlone

zweton wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

What are my chances of geting some i.t work (support/admin) on a whv.
    I will have two years experience and a ccna + degree, looking to hear any responses from people working in this area. Thanks:)

Zweton - I've just arrived this afternoon in Sydney - Come Monday I will be looking for a job in IT.
    I've a Degree, 4 years experience, CCNA, etc...

I'll keep you informed on how it works out for me.

Regards

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 8loopy8

miningtruck.jpg#!oZZ6QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fmedia.photobucket.com%2Fimage%2Fcat%20797%2Fdq_optgaleo%2Fminingtruck.jpg%3Fo%3D6hey looking for a bit of info on any1 who has worked in the mines in western oz iron / or ,,, have read in various places lads can get driving dumpers on Irish truck licences earning up to 50d an hour is there any1 on here that is working in the mines with no degrees just good construction workers? im gona give it a whack regardless flying into Perth and taking it from there slum-dog style any info would be much appreciated .. also if anyone can explain the roster lingo i know its mostly 12hour shifts minimum but the week or day dose be written 7/7 or 4/4 is this weeks or days and are you paid for the days off as in 52 weeks a year or are you working up the time off with 12 hour shifts sorry for the spelling :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

8loopy8 wrote: »
    hey looking for a bit of info on any1 who has worked in the mines in western oz iron / or ,,, have read in various places lads can get driving dumpers on Irish truck licences earning up to 50d an hour is there any1 on here that is working in the mines with no degrees just good construction workers? im gona give it a whack regardless flying into Perth and taking it from there slum-dog style any info would be much appreciated .. also if anyone can explain the roster lingo i know its mostly 12hour shifts minimum but the week or day dose be written 7/7 or 4/4 is this weeks or days and are you paid for the days off as in 52 weeks a year or are you working up the time off with 12 hour shifts sorry for the spelling :D

Where have you heard this ?

Not saying its not true just would love to know who is spreading this stuff if its not.

MOD please try and ease up on the text speak if you can.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 8loopy8

http://www.getajobinthemines.com/ sorry about the txt format its just the new generation ... the receptionist in my local gyms brother is over there driving dumpers and since i heard this ive been very interested in it are you over there ? is there anywhere on boards dedicated to the mine industries ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Well that site is a vested interest, he wants you to buy his guide/book.

Here's a previous thread on this
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69085685

Advertisement