Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHV Work thread - What Industries Are Still Booming Down Here?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Mobooo

I wish you were right tea leaf but you are utterly wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Tea Leaf

Folks, you're not reading my posts properly.

I didn't say it was easy getting a job.

Nor did I say that every Tom, Dick and Harry was going to waltz into one as soon as they hit the girt. Even if you do accuse me of the implication, that's still your bloody interpretation :)

What I am saying, however, and with experience, is that there are jobs out there at present and in the industries I listed. Telling me I'm wrong only tells me you'll find it even harder getting a job.

Granted, there have been lay offs as there will always be lay offs. That's life.

But that is not the crux or the point of this thread.

The request was to list areas where jobs are available and thriving.

I gave you my answers based on what I know and gleaned at the coalface, so to speak. It is not in my interests to waste five minutes writing this out in order to steer people wrong.

If you mistake a chef for a cook then don't point your gnarly finger at me in admonishment. It's not my job to ensure you have a dictionary.

Seriously, I am sorry if you do not share my optimistic view regarding the economy or the country - that is your personal decision alone. I feel about the current climate differently. But if you're going to tell me I'm flat out wrong then at least have the balls/decency (pick one) to back it up with more than one termination sob story.

Hopefully that bloke got laid off with the required notice and was paid his entitlements is all I can say. I'd tell him as I'd tell anyone else who'd been retrenched - get your CV out there and start door knocking/researching/networking. As you do.

Many don't know what jobs are out there and some don't want to have to work at beyond getting a resume in to get them. Some feel they should arrive on a silver platter beset by vestial virgins and some would rather sit and wait for what they view as the "inevitable recession". I never have and I'm not about to go with the flow and start telling other people that they should too.

So whether you like that or not, those jobs are still out there and yes, they're there for the taking.

Sincerely,
    TL

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Tea Leaf, you need to understand that a lot of young Irish people are currently having difficulty getting their heads around the fact that the WHV is not the visa to a new life.

While there are most probably jobs available in different areas of the country in the sectors you described, I will add some caveats:
    • You need more than a WHV to get a look-in for any of these industries - spouse visa or work related visa, with residency or citizenship should do it.
    • You need relevant, appropriate length experience.
    • If you have never applied for a job in Australia before, you need to discuss the application process with a recruitment consultant. For many industries in Australia, it is a different process to Ireland, and just supplying a CV with generic cover letter won't cut it.
    • Accept that, if you come on a working visa with residency and want to live in Melbourne, you may have to go to Perth to get a job. Just because you're on the desirable skills list, that doesn't mean your skill is desirable in your intended destination. This is a big country.
    • Don't underestimate the job market in the countryside.
    • Finally, even if there are jobs going at the moment, competition is high. You need to tick all of the requirement boxes and be able to beat off the other applicants so your interview skills will need to be polished and practiced. That includes being able to take a slagging - I defy any one of you to have an interview where the interviewer doesn't bring up the fact that you're Irish (or even, horror, make a Paddy joke - this is Australia, people, and they're just not up there with the PC.)

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

forgot to say this in my last post...

They are crying out for truck drivers here in AUS. Money is good, I know some fellas that made 22k (on ABN) in 3 months in WA. They had full Irish licences when they came over, which allowed them to drive road trains for their first 3 months in the country. You then have to do a test to drive after that 3 months AFAIK....That was long hours out the country though.

Company I worked for payed 1250 (after tax) for upto 40 hours driving a week including food. Extra 200 dollars a day if he worked weekends and double time for overtime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

ok, I've stickied this thread in the hope that more posters will read, as discussed in another thread. MAJD, hope that's ok with you? I'll add something to the title to make it stand out a bit more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Fine with me. I'm hoping some WHVers who've cracked the secret of making your WHV work for both cash and a holiday might come and contribute...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Ooodles of jobs in healthcare if you have a professional qualification :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

***I wrote this in another post but it may help with people if they want to get IT work in New Zealand.***

I work in IT and I found it very hard to get a job. However I was a bit of a special case in this regard as I wanted to settle in Christchurch and not Wellington or Auckland which are the big two in terms of IT, especially Wellington. Christchurch is the 2nd biggest city here but the economy is so much different to that of the other 2 cities.

There is over a million people living in Auckland so its a bit like Dublin with a fairly big local economy. Some big companies like vodafone have their national HQ's there. Wellington is the captial so big public sector workforce and lots of companies & semi state HQ's there like kiwi rail, ontrack, etc etc and of course all government departments have their big offices there. Naturally these corpos and the like have most of their IT infrastructure in that city so there tends to be 10 (at least) IT jobs in Wellington for every one in christchruch even though the later is bigger. There is a big professional class in that city.

Anyway I found a Network Admin job eventually after almost 2+ months of trying. I'm here since the start of December so wasnt the best time to look because of xmas and summer holidays.

But saying all that it is very slow here in terms of IT work. This time last year from what I heard you could walk into an IT job, now instead of 10 applications for a job an employer will get 50+. I heard this from one company who I got an interview with but didnt get the job. The manager of the place actually said that she was very surprised by the standard of applicants as they are usually crap. This is a sign of 1) kiwi's coming home from UK (london usually) or OZ and 2) contracts drying up so contracters look for more permanent work, thus creating a big squeeze in the job market. It could also mean she was bull$hitting me but I heard the same tune from others so I say there is alot of truth to it.

Now there is some other temp stuff out there. Like one will get a days work here and there and depending on your skills you might land an OK office job or call centre stuff. I got a 3 month contract with a telephone company the week before I got the IT job which looked like a dead cert to turn into something longer if I wanted it. It was a pretty cool job actually. It wasnt like talking to customers about their phone bills, it was talking to a client i.e. telecom and then talking to field technicians out on the road about fixing lines and faults etc. The other job called so I was lucky.

I think they are looking at worst case scenario at 7.2% unemployed here, now this might go to 8% or maybe more but it will not go to double figure like Ireland is at the moment. New zealand is a fairly sustainable economy. People spend within their means. Most people have 2nd hand cars. They spend their money on other things like ski passes, bikes, wet suits, BBQs etc. Not new BMW's just to impress the neighbours like ireland. It grew at a mild pace the last few years but nothing like Ireland. As they say the higher you rise the bigger the fall.

NZ will correct itself but there are few better places to be instead of NZ or OZ if you can get work.

Oh by the way. The pay here is not good compared to home. If you are into money do not come here. If you want the kiwi life then do, but the pay is crap, well not crap because IMO we were spoiled at home. Cost of living is cheaper obviously but buying some stuff is very expensice. Like i heard that average electronic goods have all gone up 30% because of the weak kiwi dollar. Not good when I want to buy a big DLSR:(

Have a look at http://www.emigratenz.org/forum/

You cant go wrong with that place. All very helpfull but very geared towards the permanent mover, not your average WHV types.

**Hope this helps***

I agree with the pay in NZ part. Seriously, it's shocking! I'm also on the emigrate nz forum and they're a great bunch of people, I got some good support when applying for my residency, as Jank said though it is mainly geared towards people moving to NZ more long term.

As well as industries that are booming if any posters have any experience trying to get jobs in industries where it was very difficult, please let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Fine with me. I'm hoping some WHVers who've cracked the secret of making your WHV work for both cash and a holiday might come and contribute...

I've been out in Sydney for 6 weeks now and am doing exactly the above, cracking the secret..

I'm working in a bar at the moment and with not to much experience had a job within 2 weeks of arriving, which for 25-30 hours a week, helps me pay rent and go out a few times a week and have a fair bit left over.
    I have a couple of friends out here and a few other lads I've while over here who were all looking for work after i had got a job.
    From a group of 7 everyone now has work.
    One of my mates decided to drop a Cv into the local off licence, was called the next day and offered a few shifts a week for reasonable pay.
    Another lad is now working 40 hours plus a week and earning buckets loads in an irish bar in the rocks after dropping in a Cv and talking through his arse.
    2 other guys and a girl got some factory work for a month contract.
    Another guy has a job in an office doing administration work.
    A web developer i met last week was in the country 2 days and had two interviews for 3 and 6 month contracts worth 55 dollars an hour.
    Also, whenever i've walked through the CBD i've been offered work as one of those charity muggers, which is in fact quite a reasonable basic pay(around 17 dollars an hour) if your willing to do a god awful job, its definitely enough to survive in sydney and having a great time too.
    Also if your willing to do some tough but great paying work there are many jobs going out working as labourers on the train tracks out in the outback or closer in, cleaning graffiti off trains.
    Definitely enough jobs here in sydney, based on the group I listed, to more than keep you going for a year and help you enjoy the year to the maximum.

If your willing to go into a Bar, or restaurant, or office block or factory and give it a lash with the gift of the gab and a slightly exagerated C.V. i have no doubt you will get a job.
    If your not willing to do that, you musn't be too bothered in going home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

National Broadband Network

As a key element of its plan for the future, the Australian Government has committed to provide up to $4.7 billion and to consider necessary regulatory changes to facilitate the roll-out of a new open access, high-speed, fibre-based broadband network, providing downlink speeds of at least 12 megabits per second to 98 per cent of Australian homes and businesses.

The network will represent the single largest investment in broadband infrastructure in Australia's history.

The tenders are currently being evaluated and the winner to be annnouned in coming weeks. There will be a large amount of work with the succesuful bidder / bidders / consortiums and associated businesses.

It was due to be all fibre but the "credit crunch" has brought back into focus mixed development fibre / wireless. This will benefit most irish telcos experienced as we are predominantly wireless.

Worth keeping an eye on if from an IT or telcos background and especially if from a telcos background. Also tower riggers and constrcution project managers and civils guys for trench work will have a look in.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Sparky14

I hear there are jobs to be had fruit picking around Melbourne, a couple of mates are over there just waiting for the apple picking season to start. Do any of you guys have any tips or know what the jobs are like? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭TomRooney

hey all, i am an apprentice Bricklayer here in Dublin,
    i left the Army to persue this career as i like working with my hands,
    im just going into my third year of the apprenticeship and was thinking about going to OZ
    in the hope of work as im getting nothing here, idealy i would like to get sponsored and stay on in OZ as i like the aussie attitude and lifestyle,

i have heard there is a fair bit of work on construction in the perth area..
    but im not to sure. im not sure if it is realistic to seek work as an apprentice over there....in the hope of sponsorship, but even if i didnt get sponsored i would still like to go, at least to tie myself over untill my next phase in technical college.

any advice or info in this regard would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

TomRooney wrote: »
    hey all, i am an apprentice Bricklayer here in Dublin,
    i left the Army to persue this career as i like working with my hands,
    im just going into my third year of the apprenticeship and was thinking about going to OZ
    in the hope of work as im getting nothing here, idealy i would like to get sponsored and stay on in OZ as i like the aussie attitude and lifestyle,

i have heard there is a fair bit of work on construction in the perth area..
    but im not to sure. im not sure if it is realistic to seek work as an apprentice over there....in the hope of sponsorship, but even if i didnt get sponsored i would still like to go, at least to tie myself over untill my next phase in technical college.

any advice or info in this regard would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance.

I would say your chances of sponsorship from an employeer would be near zero.

One other thing about apprentiships in Aus it is very common for people in their 30's and 40's to be doing an apprenticeship as part of a career change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭dosed

how is the job front in childcare?
    aussie qualifications essential?

what about very casual work? summer camps/sports instructing type jobs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

dosed wrote: »

I think you need a licence to work with kids in Victoria

Tom I would finish your bricklaying qualification before attempting any move. Coming over here on a WHV hoping to work your way to sponsorship is a lot harder than a few years ago. On seek there is 9 Bricklaying jobs for Australia.

http://money.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?cmp=nl_news_12march2009_14&mch=newsletter&id=770346

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭missannik

dosed wrote: »

My understanding is that you'll need a Certificate III in child services plus have passed a 'working with children' police check.

As for summer camps... summer is over, the kids are well and truely back at school and I doubt there will be much work in the 2 weeks holidays coming up (in Victoria anyway.) You'll have better luck with fruit picking in rural areas. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Flairpinnedme

i'm in melbourne and i think there are still a fair few jobs out there. you just need to not be picky with what you apply for and try to stand out during the interview. i've been here for about 3 weeks and got a job a few days ago.

i'm in melbourne and i think there are still a fair few jobs out there. you just need to not be picky with what you apply for and try to stand out during the interview. i've been here for about 3 weeks and got a job a few days ago.

What did you get a job in ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Flairpinnedme

sales/customer service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭tipp86

Icm diploma in health and safety ! Any hope of a job? no experience ! Mainly construction based

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

more food for thought

immigration slashed to protect jobs

can see alot of tweaking of this but should give an idea how serious things are getting for people wanting to relocate on a permanent bases (and in turn the options and work situation for whv's).

While not affcting whv's as such it does show that they are looking after there own so even short term work will become even scarcer.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭missannik

missannik wrote: »

yeah that is an interesting article, at least it is not all doom and gloom.
    it should be picking up in construction by the time i finish my apprenticeship.

myhorse wrote: »
    I would say your chances of sponsorship from an employeer would be near zero.

One other thing about apprentiships in Aus it is very common for people in their 30's and 40's to be doing an apprenticeship as part of a career change.

well theres only one way to know for certain isnt there, ill have to go and check it out.

im just about 30 myself i left te irish army to persue the apprenticeship 2 years ago. so i cant just quit now im gonna have to persevere, and i reckon australia is the place to do that, however bad it is there, it has got to be better than Ireland.

By the time you finish your apprenticeship Bricklayer may not be on the skills list.

The skills list changes at present very quickly , expect to see big cuts in Sept

Zambia232 wrote: »
    By the time you finish your apprenticeship Bricklayer may not be on the skills list.

The skills list changes at present very quickly , expect to see big cuts in Sept

a right gang of jolly positive f***ers arent you........(sarcasm)

i wouldnt be listening to you negative feckers here, i know personaly two guys who are cleaning up in perth making 2000 aus dollars a week as plumbers and carpenters. they got sponsored.

one of them only started the carpentry apprenticeship after he got there.

its not all doom and gloom.

the problem is alot of aussies dont want to work on building sites, so there will be pletiful work by the looks of it for the forseeable future.

Tom Rooney infracted for personal abuse.

Whether you agree with what they said or not, posters on this thread took the time to reply to you and were trying to be helpful. They do not deserve that. Why ask the question at all if "you knew two people that are cleaning up in Perth". You obviously just wanted to hear a positive answer. This is a worldwide recession and the whole point of this thread is to make people realise that the streets are not paved in gold down here.

watna wrote: »
    Tom Rooney infracted for personal abuse.

Whether you agree with what they said or not, posters on this thread took the time to reply to you and were trying to be helpful. They do not deserve that. Why ask the question at all if "you knew two people that are cleaning up in Perth". You obviously just wanted to hear a positive answer. This is a worldwide recession and the whole point of this thread is to make people realise that the streets are not paved in gold down here.

in future i would appreciate if you kept the business of infractions toward me in pm, and show me the same respect you deserve yourself in this respect ie the PM rule.

you already sent me a PM is there realy a need to issue the same thing twice...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

TomRooney wrote: »
    the problem is alot of aussies dont want to work on building sites, so there will be pletiful work by the looks of it for the forseeable future.

You obviously dont live here !

Advertisement