Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHV Work thread - What Industries Are Still Booming Down Here?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

The getajobinthemines is a little dubious. You have to buy his book to get the information that is freely available out there.

There is another mining scam out there. Used to be called Hogans Mining but they keep changing their name. And another site where he tries to expose the scams but also will look at your CV for money and help you get a job. Don't give money to anyone while trying to secure a job.

Dumptruck driving is very hard to get as there is a lot of competition amongst experienced people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 8loopy8

nice one zambia bit of info there hopefully the lad got over an got a job i know the site rocco aloda ****e the truth is in there sumwer haha but there must be a way in with a bit of determination and knowing what im after ill get the job im after any other threads associated with mines/jobs im a grafter and looking to make money not travel.. id appreciate it if you could send them on if you can im new hear cheers man good to see hear from some1 in oz with feedback

ellaq wrote: »
    The getajobinthemines is a little dubious. You have to buy his book to get the information that is freely available out there.

There is another mining scam out there. Used to be called Hogans Mining but they keep changing their name. And another site where he tries to expose the scams but also will look at your CV for money and help you get a job. Don't give money to anyone while trying to secure a job.

Dumptruck driving is very hard to get as there is a lot of competition amongst experienced people.

ye it looks that way but ill keep the negative away from the mindset if some1 else can do it so can i im sure plenty of lads from Ireland got in at it ive me artic licence so its something to go in with not a lot i know but worth a shot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Are you coming over on a working holiday visa?

I am not trying to be negative just realistic. But if you know others that have got in then maybe they could put a good word in for you. I think that is what you said, I couldn't really understand it. Unfortunately I do know plenty of qualified people who cannot get jobs as dumpies, not enough jobs for everyone that wants to do it. Some people take jobs as a bus driver on the minesites and this often leads to being in the right place at the right time for the dumptruck jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭yogimotorsport

8loopy8 wrote: »
    miningtruck.jpg#!oZZ6QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fmedia.photobucket.com%2Fimage%2Fcat%20797%2Fdq_optgaleo%2Fminingtruck.jpg%3Fo%3D6hey looking for a bit of info on any1 who has worked in the mines in western oz iron / or ,,, have read in various places lads can get driving dumpers on Irish truck licences earning up to 50d an hour is there any1 on here that is working in the mines with no degrees just good construction workers? im gona give it a whack regardless flying into Perth and taking it from there slum-dog style any info would be much appreciated .. also if anyone can explain the roster lingo i know its mostly 12hour shifts minimum but the week or day dose be written 7/7 or 4/4 is this weeks or days and are you paid for the days off as in 52 weeks a year or are you working up the time off with 12 hour shifts sorry for the spelling :D

I can gaurantee you that no mine that complies with the law will allow you drive a dumptruck on irish licences,you will need a minimum Australian HR licence most companies expect you to have a dumptruck ticket which consists of a 5 day course costing around $3500,im not trying to deter you from trying to get a job in mines but people have to be realistic,there are loads of Irish coming to Perth with the notion that its a simple hop skip and jump and your on a plane up North it not that easy
    The mines are a complex operation where safety is a must and boy do there go into every detail of safety,so on that basis they will always want the most competent and experienced persons to the relevant job they want filled
    Now rosters you can do 12 days on 9 off in some places but 2 weeks on 1 week off is more commom,but 3 weeks on 1 week off and 4 weeks on 1 week off are avalible too depending on the operation
    You only get paid for the time you work unless if your on a salary,most times you work your time and thats it week off with out pay and you dont get sick pay or holiday pay
    Have you experience in driving earthmoving machinery?

Could you

Come over, hand in your Irish truck licence and get a WA HGV licence?

Just speculating here?

Something to look into with the licensing.

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/20669.asp

Looks like you may need to pass the practical test here in WA if you want to use your truck licence.

ye ill be coming over on a whv then to hills-ton to work up my regional get the second year in right away I have friends there that have a spot driving tractors they stay for 3months sum stay on .. and get there 2nd year visa.. i have read into oz licence on Wikipedia and it seems if I am correct that once i have 3yr on my licence on a 3 / 4 axle I can obtain a "open full hr oz licence" I have 3yrs on the heavy rigid equivalent.. but only just got the arc tic this year so that would be still classed in oz as a red l if im correct would the bus licence be of much use ? i could get that in before i go as-well if so. i also have a full 3yrs on a work licence which in Ireland covers tractors which im also capable of operating i have a provisional ticket driving 360 excavators here in Ireland which doesn't stand for a lot but i can drive anything within an hour of operating it im confident of that but to answer your question i haven't drove earthmover's ive drove a dumper round a site a few times that's about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 dean27

After doing a lot of research on everything to do with the Australian mining industry the past week or so, I'm pretty positive you do not need a HR license to work in the mines. Saying that a HR license certainly would look good for you in what is an incredibly desired position. Previous experience of driving such vehicles is advised. What you need is a dumper truck course you do over there that costs a couple of thousand to do. Also in response to zambia's question, as far as I'm aware, you may be able to transfer certain parts of licenses over, however you still need to do a test over in Australia.

• Advertisement

Might help

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/20669.asp#20952

FAQ on HGV licensing my reading is yes a practical test is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭yogimotorsport

Zambia wrote: »
    Could you

Come over, hand in your Irish truck licence and get a WA HGV licence?

Just speculating here?

I think since January 2011 they have tightend the loopholes on this,you can tranfer the licence in some catagories but it depends on how long you have held the licence,i did the HR licence here in Perth took me around 3 weeks and cost close to $1000 for lessons and test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 dietgirl

I'M in Melbourne, there is no shortage of jobs!

As per the link I posted above you will need to sit a practical test if you want to transfer your heavy vehicle licence in WA. You can now only transfer your car and motorcycle licence directly. You will need to book HR through a truck driving centre unless you know someone who has a roadworthy vehicle you can borrow. The truck driving centres do run packages where you do 2 hour lesson followed by the test. Rates have recently increased to around the $120 per hour mark.

I don't want to be the voice of doom here. I am just trying to be realistic because the media does tend to overblow the mining boom here, especially with regards to the number of jobs.

Yes, you do not need a HR licence to get a job. You may have seen jobs advertised that state that while a HR licence is not essential it is highly desirable. Basically you want to be better qualified than anyone else going for the job with a HR licence. And even then if you get the job you may be expected to get the HR licence within the first 3 months.

I would also advise anyone coming here on a WHV to seriously consider whether forking a couple of grand to do a dumptruck course is really a worthwhile investment. A lot of people do these courses, it does not guarantee a job in anyway. According to the media, which I don't always believe, there are a lot of people who have done this course who cannot get a job. A lot of people that do drive the dumptrucks are middle-aged females.

The reason it can be difficult to get a start on a WHV is because of the initial training costs that companies have to spend on employees. While you can get your licences, marscta and other courses yourself the mining company has to pay for all your inductions on site. You would probably have the minesite induction and then another induction for your job. A lot of investment for someone who can only work for 6 months.

If anyone really wants to get a start I would advise them to head to a mining centre and try to get into a residential job. I really have never heard of anyone on a WHV getting a FIFO job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Just a question about becoming a traffic controller in nsw, How would i go about becoming one, I got my white card but saw some controllers and I liked what they were at, Is it just a day course like the white card?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 MilionMilesAway

Here you go, try this:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/doingbusinesswithus/trafficcontroltraining/index.html

Also, check out the travellers resource center on level 7 of the Dymmoks building on George Street. There is a place in there that run those courses. And you can pick up a free Irish Echo while your there !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭ladd19

Hi

Heading to Oz early next year. Just looking for a bit of information from anyone that might know. I have an honors law degree but not much experience in this area. Plenty of experience in Sales / CS and currently work for Google in Tech support. Which area would be best to concentrate on to try and secure a job in the Perth area? Tech support, Sales / CS or law? Cheers lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

You'll find Tech support / Sales a lot easier to crack than law - esp with a working holiday visa

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭ladd19

hussey wrote: »
    You'll find Tech support / Sales a lot easier to crack than law - esp with a working holiday visa

Yeah was thinking as much. No harm in trying for legal work of some sort while working in tech support or sales though.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

ladd19 wrote: »
    Yeah was thinking as much. No harm in trying for legal work of some sort while working in tech support or sales though.

You can pick up paralegal work on a WHV (I did). Most of the big firms would have a specific paralegal co-ordinator and there's some specific legal recruitment agencies too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Finally making the move after about 3 years of humming and hawing. I've been working odd jobs here for the last year for both IT and retail consultants, but seeing as I have a master's degree in mechanical engineering, I want to put it to good use.

Moving to Sydney on a WHV, hoping to secure some temp work either through an agency or just working in a bike shop for the first month or two to provide me with some money and time to assess my options.

Ideally, I would be hoping for sponsorship with an engineering firm, anything really: bio, HVAC, renewables...heck if I got desperate I guess I would head off to the mines.

Whatever happens, I'm just excited to be going and seeing Australia.

So long Stinktown!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Finally making the move after about 3 years of humming and hawing. I've been working odd jobs here for the last year for both IT and retail consultants, but seeing as I have a master's degree in mechanical engineering, I want to put it to good use.

Moving to Sydney on a WHV, hoping to secure some temp work either through an agency or just working in a bike shop for the first month or two to provide me with some money and time to assess my options.

Ideally, I would be hoping for sponsorship with an engineering firm, anything really: bio, HVAC, renewables...heck if I got desperate I guess I would head off to the mines.

Whatever happens, I'm just excited to be going and seeing Australia.

So long Stinktown!

Yeah I reckon you will do alright, Australia has been good to me last 7 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Sunday_Roast

I recently graduated with a B.A.I. in Electronic/Electrical Engineering. I currently have no experience and am wondering what are the chances of finding a graduate progame on a WHV in Melbourne. Will companies just plain out refuse to employ with no experience+WHV. Telecoms would be my ideal field but would work in any area. Is Seek the best place to start looking? Any help would be very much appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

I recently graduated with a B.A.I. in Electronic/Electrical Engineering. I currently have no experience and am wondering what are the chances of finding a graduate progame on a WHV in Melbourne. Will companies just plain out refuse to employ with no experience+WHV. Telecoms would be my ideal field but would work in any area. Is Seek the best place to start looking? Any help would be very much appreciated :)

I'd say your chances on a graduate program would be slim. Most of the bigger companies that have graduate intakes, like Telstra, only offer permanent jobs to people with PR or citizenship and the grad process is all about taking on long term, permanent staff and investing in them through training etc.

Your best bet might be looking for some entry level/contract work with a company and hope that you can impress enough to get offered sponsorship. Seek is first stop for this but if you have any local contacts in the industry here follow them up too, LinkedIn very handy for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Grads would be difficult, the point of sponsorship is that you cannot find someone in Oz to do the job. Doubt anyone willing to argue that in grad roles.

Also you need a min salary, and grad roles are usually below this

(speaking from IT point of view, I cannot comment on other salaries)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Smac!

whats the story with brisbane??im going there in april...please tell me there is plenty of jobs in construction side of things!and my girlfriend is hairdresser!any specific areas that have more opportunitys i shud be aware of?north,south...etc!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I was wondering for people who have found mech eng jobs, if there is any, were they advertised on the internet or did you contact a recruitment company / business speculatively?

I'm talking about Australia here. I'm thinking of going over and I'm an engineer with a few years experience. I have previously done a working holiday in NZ and had an engineering job.....as well as many low paid unskilled positions. I'm just curious to hear other peoples experience who might be in a similar position job wise. I've been on Seek.co.au and while there are a few jobs on it I'd a thought there might be more for a country like Oz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 poppy14

I'm thinking of emigrating to Australia, I'm a fashion designer. Does anybody have any experience or know anything about the fashion industry in Australia? I've one years pattern making experience and that's the area I would like to go into.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭susy

A couple of my friends in fashion design have worked over here, I think most of the jobs are in Melbourne or Sydney and they seemed to get work handy enough with a year or two experience back in Ireland. I think a lot of jobs go through recruitment agents so try look some up and maybe get in touch before you come out. I think there's quite a few jobs in the buying side of things, oh and visual merchandising too. Since being here I've noticed a cardigan and dress I bought in Top Shop last June at home on sale in Myers here, so they seems to be buying stuff in a good bit. Where I am (Adelaide) there seems to be plenty of retail positions advertised in shop windows walking around so at least you could probably get something to keep you going for a bit until you get a proper job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 countingdown

Hi everyone,
    I am unsure if this is the most appropriate forum for my query but thought I would give it a shot! I am an Irish female who is planning on heading to Australia (specifically Melbourne) on a WHV (working holiday visa) in late January/early February of 2012.

I have a four year undergraduate degree in psychology and I have also completed a masters in applied psychology (1 year). I am currently working as a psychological research assistant in a university (adolescents and adults), and I have also acquired experience as a psychological researcher in a hospital (children). Other experience involves volunteer work as a helpline call facilitator and community care work with vulnerable children.
    I am keen to pursue clinical psychology in Ireland and to this end I would like for my year in Australia to involve some sort of work that may count as clinical experience. The jobs I'm referring to are mental health support worker, ABA therapist, assistant psychologist, research assistant, etc. I plan to gain membership of the APS (Australian Psychological Society) but I think that I probably wont be eligable for registration.

My questions centre mainly around psychological job opportunites in Australia for psychology graduates. I would like to know if anybody has any idea about how difficult it is to acquire a mental health job in Australia and what employers are looking for? Does anybody know anyone who has gone over to Australia before looking for clinical experience? I was also considering directly contacting various mental health/rehabilitation centres or universities to enquire also about work, would this be appropriate? If anyone could provide any advice or even any links to more relevant forums that would be great. Thank you.

Advertisement