Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHV Work thread - What Industries Are Still Booming Down Here?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 poppy14

Thanks Susy, I'll def be heading to cities anyway. Sounds promising anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭clancy wiggum

I am undertaking a masters in marketing and management and have a level 8 undergrad in economics and sociology. I have looked at the "SOL" and cant't find anything that my qualifications cover. Do you think it is probable that I would be able to gain sponsorship if i came over on a WHV ?Are the qualifications I have ( going to have at time of arriving in oz) going to be enough to gain sponsorship...I don't want to go on a extended holiday for a year or two , I want citizenship. I suppose what I am really asking is my skillset enough to go on or should I further train before going...

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭SONIC2008

Hi everyone,
    I am unsure if this is the most appropriate forum for my query but thought I would give it a shot! I am an Irish female who is planning on heading to Australia (specifically Melbourne) on a WHV (working holiday visa) in late January/early February of 2012.

I have a four year undergraduate degree in psychology and I have also completed a masters in applied psychology (1 year). I am currently working as a psychological research assistant in a university (adolescents and adults), and I have also acquired experience as a psychological researcher in a hospital (children). Other experience involves volunteer work as a helpline call facilitator and community care work with vulnerable children.
    I am keen to pursue clinical psychology in Ireland and to this end I would like for my year in Australia to involve some sort of work that may count as clinical experience. The jobs I'm referring to are mental health support worker, ABA therapist, assistant psychologist, research assistant, etc. I plan to gain membership of the APS (Australian Psychological Society) but I think that I probably wont be eligable for registration.

My questions centre mainly around psychological job opportunites in Australia for psychology graduates. I would like to know if anybody has any idea about how difficult it is to acquire a mental health job in Australia and what employers are looking for? Does anybody know anyone who has gone over to Australia before looking for clinical experience? I was also considering directly contacting various mental health/rehabilitation centres or universities to enquire also about work, would this be appropriate? If anyone could provide any advice or even any links to more relevant forums that would be great. Thank you.

Have you tried looking up the jobs you are specifically looking for? There is an Australian website called seek which has a section for social work, psychology and counselling. I too have a BA in psychology and will be moving to australia next year. However I don't have such experience which you have, and my qualifications differ in that my post grad is counselling and psychotherapy.

However, I have been in correspondace with the APS in relation to using my psychology degree but not working as a registered psychologist. Basically I wanted to know if I could work in a youth or community care role which requires psychology qualifications but not registration as a psychologist. In short the reply stated
    "[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]If you do not wish to gain registration and practice as a psychologist it is your choice as to whether you have your qualifications assessed. Some employers will request you have your qualifications assessed as internationally accredited programmes as not recognised in Australia."[/FONT][/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

Hey,

Just wondering are there many test analysts/software testers here? I'm looking to go to Melbourne in 8 months time, when i'll have 2.5 years experience testing.

I had a look at seek.com.au and the job prospects seem to be decent. However, i'd like to know what it's like on the ground so if there are any testers out there, definitely give me a shout and let me know of your work-related experiences, how easy/hard it was to get a job etc.

Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 countingdown

SONIC2008 wrote: »
    Have you tried looking up the jobs you are specifically looking for? There is an Australian website called seek which has a section for social work, psychology and counselling. I too have a BA in psychology and will be moving to australia next year. However I don't have such experience which you have, and my qualifications differ in that my post grad is counselling and psychotherapy.

However, I have been in correspondace with the APS in relation to using my psychology degree but not working as a registered psychologist. Basically I wanted to know if I could work in a youth or community care role which requires psychology qualifications but not registration as a psychologist. In short the reply stated
    "[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]If you do not wish to gain registration and practice as a psychologist it is your choice as to whether you have your qualifications assessed. Some employers will request you have your qualifications assessed as internationally accredited programmes as not recognised in Australia."[/FONT][/FONT]

Cheers Sonic2008. I have had a look into various positions and I have a number of relevant contact details of websites and such. If you would like me to pass that on to you just pm me.

It's really hard to find any information about how psychology graduates fare over in Australia. With regards to assessing qualifications, the APS state on the website that the service is provided for the following three reasons:
    • Migrate to Australia under the General Skilled Migration Categories;
    • Apply for registration or work as a psychologist in Australia; or
    • Apply for entry into an APAC-accredited course in psychology at an Australian university.
    However, I am not seeking a skilled migration visa as I would not be eligble, and I would also not be eligble to register as a psychologist so I don't think, for me, it would be worth it. Would your counselling and psychotherapy post grad allow you to register? Do you think you will get your qualifications assessed?

Also the cost of the assessment is pretty steep ($836) which works out at nearly 650 euros. However it is unclear if it is neccessary to aquire this to obtain a youth community role or any such similar roles. I'm thinking my next step will be to directly contact some centres/organisations to get more information about what they require from WHV employees to work in the psychological/community/social work sphere and see where that takes me. When are you planning on heading over?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭SONIC2008

Cheers Sonic2008. I have had a look into various positions and I have a number of relevant contact details of websites and such. If you would like me to pass that on to you just pm me.

It's really hard to find any information about how psychology graduates fare over in Australia. With regards to assessing qualifications, the APS state on the website that the service is provided for the following three reasons:
    • Migrate to Australia under the General Skilled Migration Categories;
    • Apply for registration or work as a psychologist in Australia; or
    • Apply for entry into an APAC-accredited course in psychology at an Australian university.
    However, I am not seeking a skilled migration visa as I would not be eligble, and I would also not be eligble to register as a psychologist so I don't think, for me, it would be worth it. Would your counselling and psychotherapy post grad allow you to register? Do you think you will get your qualifications assessed?

Also the cost of the assessment is pretty steep ($836) which works out at nearly 650 euros. However it is unclear if it is neccessary to aquire this to obtain a youth community role or any such similar roles. I'm thinking my next step will be to directly contact some centres/organisations to get more information about what they require from WHV employees to work in the psychological/community/social work sphere and see where that takes me. When are you planning on heading over?

I totally agree with you about the difficulty in finding out information in relation to getting a job with a psychology qualification.

I have contacted healthcare recruitment agencies directly in relation to the necessity to have my degree assessed but didn't recieve any replies. Once they cop that i'm still in Ireland they really have no interest in replying as they know I wont be taking up a job in the coming weeks. Considering the price I have decided I won't get it assessed unless I can manage to get into a role as an assistant psychologist and the employer requests it. My BA is PSI acccredited and i'm sure they are familar with HETAC so really I can't see why it would be necessary for a youth or community care role. My MA wouldnt make me eligable to become registered either, but i'm not really interested in doing so anyway.

My sister took a year out and travelled to Australia after first year in a BA in social care work. She had plenty of offers coming in from agencies when she was there (she was applying for childcare positions). So even without qualifications they showed interest in hiring her without any qualifications.

I'm not leaving Ireland until June but with travelling around asia I dont plan on getting to Australia until August.

To be honest I think your job applcations will be attract plenty of interest considering your qualifications and experience. I just have substancial voluntary work experience, my paid work experience is in childcare so I don't have relevant experience in what I want to do! I'm sure I will get some role there which is more than I can expect here!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 donCORK

I'm travelling on my own too and have my tickets booked for 4/5 months time. I know it's a bit away yet but I'm a bit nervous when I think about it. I only just landed a job a little over 2 months ago and I love it and there is that nagging doubt that things won't work out when I leave and I'll have no job to come back too. I know it's a slightly negative way of looking at it. I'm a gym instructor with certs in Boxercise, Spinning and will be doing TRX and Kettlebells in January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Lush Puppy

Some amazing advice from people on here!! Have goggle eyes but after reading through all 41 pages still have a question about my field of work which doesn't seem to feature on any of the threads.

I'm a graphic designer, have 3 years industry experience in a print house and a bachelor degree.

I've researched the job market for this area and was just wondering if anyone had any information on the design in Melbourne? Or any personal experiences or advice etc? Have friends in Melbourne so will be settling down there.

Thanks in advance! :]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Any ideas roughly on whether there are many engineering jobs available in Oz?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mazi

Hey,

Thinking of travelling for a year to either NZ or Auzzie.

My profession is a Loss Adjuster (Insurance).

Does anyone know what the situation is with this type of job in these places if they are plentiful? I am undecided which country would be better as I hear the cost of living in NZ is quite expensive?

Would be travelling for at least a few mths in asia etc en route so a job to tie us over and save money before our return back to Canada.

Any pointers or tips would be much appreciated!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Samich wrote: »

Try mining in Western Australia.. lots of $$$ to be made there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Samich wrote: »

They're crying out for mining engineers here. Unfortunately, I don't think any Irish unis offer mining engineering courses, so there's not many Irish people who have the qualifications they're looking for.

There's a shortage of engineers in general though. Also, almost all engineering disciplines qualify for skilled migration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 chloiee

any advise appricated,
    My Husband is traveling to Australia, (hopfully) on a 12mth working holiday visa in the hope of working to holiday he has 3 dependant children that he will not be taking with him, is he eligble for this visa considering he has children.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 donCORK

He is as far as I know but cannot take the kids on the visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

chloiee wrote: »
    any advise appricated,
    My Husband is traveling to Australia, (hopfully) on a 12mth working holiday visa in the hope of working to holiday he has 3 dependant children that he will not be taking with him, is he eligble for this visa considering he has children.

He must apply with a paper application he cannot apply online.
    Once his children don't come to Oz he is okay. Have a read of immi.gov.au about children and WHV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 chloiee

many thanks have read that now. i am going to download and apply. is this any different to applying online? is there a chance he will be refused the whv, because he has dependants.

many thanks have read that now. i am going to download and apply. is this any different to applying online? is there a chance he will be refused the whv, because he has dependants.

Once he stays within the rules of a WHV he will be fine.
    http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/eligibility-first.htm
    not be accompanied by dependent children at any time during your stay in Australia
    Note: A dependent child is the child, or step-child, of you or your partner who:
    is not married, engaged to be married, or in a de facto relationship
    has not turned 18.

If you would like a dependent child to join you in Australia you must apply for a different visa such as a Tourist visa. If you have dependent children who will not accompany you at any time you must apply for a Working Holiday visa using the paper application. You are not able to apply online.
    See: Working Holiday visa applications – paper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Hang your lad

mobius42 wrote: »
    They're crying out for mining engineers here. Unfortunately, I don't think any Irish unis offer mining engineering courses, so there's not many Irish people who have the qualifications they're looking for.

There's a shortage of engineers in general though. Also, almost all engineering disciplines qualify for skilled migration.

Mining engineers are only required for a small part of the implementation of a mine. There is still a need for engineers for construction, maintenance, e&i, upgrades, process, commissioning, etc.

Heading out next week to a job in the mines. It's FIFO, mechanical construction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 No.3

Hi Hang Your Lad

I am heading out on a 175 pr visa at the end of March. I am a Mechanical Engineer myself looking to get into fifo in the mines. Would you be able to give me any contacts, or companys who are hiring in the Mechanical Construction area? You can pm me the details.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

FYI, I just got an email from the Job Shop, who are looking for 2 qualified heavy duty diesel mechanics in Perth. They said they'd offer sponsorship as well. If anyone is interested, it might be a good idea to register on their site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Gossipgal

Jesus, reading here I think I was one of the lucky ones. Arrived in November, started looking for work after 2 weeks and was working 1 week later. Company wants to sponsor me but I wasn't sure if I wanted to continue in this industry so am debating whether to take it or not. I think good fortune maybe made me think it would be that easy to find another one but apparently not. Definitely puts me more in favour of accepting the sponsorship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Whats the industry?

Sorry yes should have said, I work in Telecommunications - upgrading mobile phone networks. There seem to be serious skill shortages over here whereas market is drying up at home

Gossipgal wrote: »
    Sorry yes should have said, I work in Telecommunications - upgrading mobile phone networks. There seem to be serious skill shortages over here whereas market is drying up at home

From what I read they are Vodafone are rolling out huge upgrades, then there is 4G upgrade and the NBN too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Gossip in 1999 in the height of the skill shortage Telco networks would be prepared to fly engineers back from Aus to Ireland for interview only.

Its a good industry to be in was in it for about 6 years. Its very dynamic and is one you could travel with.

I would see if they sponsor you for PR then you can stay in Oz and do what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

That's what I'm thinking Zambia. Very good industry in terms of demand as there always seems to be jobs. Just wish it was more of a stable 9 - 5er sometimes ;) but you can't have it all. What area did you move into after telco just as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Does anybody know anything about the fire safety engineering sector down there. I am a mature student about to graduate with no experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 needaholiday

Hi chloiee, he won`t be refused. I also have kids and I have recieved my WHV. He will have to apply by paper application but there is no problem. It just takes a little longer than doing it on-line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Does anybody know anything about the fire safety engineering sector down there. I am a mature student about to graduate with no experience.

There would be very different regulations here pertaining to fire safety with a lot of it to do with bush fire regulations.

Advertisement