Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHV Work thread - What Industries Are Still Booming Down Here?

Options
1171819202123»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I have been talking to a guy in an engineering company in oz and he asked could i get a 12 month working visa. I am 37 and just graduated. What are my options regarding this?
    Migration (see migration sticky) or sponsorship (see FAQ sticky)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ross1986

Hi Guys,

I will be travelling to Sydney at the end of June on a WHV and was wondering if anyone is working in recruitment at the moment and if there are many opportunities?

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dillo22

Hi could anyone help me out??? Im currently living in Moree NSW and I am looking to do my rural work, but im not having any luck finding work. Im a trustworthy Irish girl, and I would love any information anyone can give me or any websites I would be very greatfull. Kind regards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭lippy11

Anybody have any idea how the construction industry is going in Brisbane at the mo?
    Myself and my BF are Brissy bound next weekend, we're just finished our regional work, so he's hoping to pick up a carpentry job. (It's his qualified trade)

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

lippy11 wrote: »
    Anybody have any idea how the construction industry is going in Brisbane at the mo?
    Myself and my BF are Brissy bound next weekend, we're just finished our regional work, so he's hoping to pick up a carpentry job. (It's his qualified trade)

Hey, depends what kind of Carpenter he is? I've been in Perth the last year, every1 here says its quiet (I agree), and that east coast is completely fecked for work.

In my experience Its form work or nothing, which you have to be experienced in, and even more specifically mines or nothing, which you cant get into. Its very hard in Cities to make decent money, or have a good job you actually like. I believe the main reason for this is not being Australian and being on a WHV.

I see alot a chippy doing stupid jobs over here like Ceiling Fixing, or fitting aluminium doors or windows, or more commonly there just a glorified laborer.

He might land summit good tho, I'm basing the above on what people say in Perth, I haven't seen what its like in Brisbane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

dillo22 wrote: »
    Hi could anyone help me out??? Im currently living in Moree NSW and I am looking to do my rural work, but im not having any luck finding work. Im a trustworthy Irish girl, and I would love any information anyone can give me or any websites I would be very greatfull. Kind regards :)

There isn't alot of farm work going really anywhere at the moment. That's from what I can see on the job websites and what the people on the Harvest Trail hot line are telling me.

I just came from the Margaret River, was there for two weeks and couldn't find any pruning work on the vineyards. The competition is fairly fierce!

Anyway your best bet is to do some volunteer work in the form of WWOOFING or HelpX. Getting work this way is easy, you just sign up write up a profile, apply to farms and you'll get loads of offers. Its not paid work but you get food and accommodation so you don't really need to be earning any money. Me and the GF are doing it at the moment and its pretty good!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

My brother was down there for 5 days and got it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭smileyscientist

Hey everbody.. this thread is great. Me and my best friend are moving over in Oct on a WHV.. I am qualified to Masters level and have about 2 yrs exprience in lab work and she is a Graphic Designer with 2 yrs experience too. We will both be based in Brisbane as we are going to be living with our friends over there who have been there since March last yr.

I am just wondering would any of ye have any idea of what these sectors are like at the minute? I have been looking at webdites such as seek etc and there seems to be some but they are very specific and not really in my field. I have applied for a few but no luck.. although I thinkk its to far in advance to apply really. If anyone has any advice on this it would be great!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Hi all,

Sorry to be digging up an old thread but this may be useful for anyone looking for work on a WHV.

I'm in Sydney now two months and just haven't had any luck getting work. Bar a days work through a recruitment agency, there's been nothing.
    does anyone know of any work at all going?
    I'm a 25 year old qualified engineer (process, R&D, mechanical) with over two years experience. However, I kind of accepted on a WHV the chances of getting any engineering work are fairly slim but I do have nearly seven years retail experience so I'd be very much open to work in these areas.

I haven't found the recruitment agencies to be of much help tbh. Was wondering if there was much work going in construction (labouring)? The only problem is I wouldn't have any experience on a site and I'd need to get a white card but if it meant I'd def get some work I'd make the investment.

But as I said, if anyone knows of some work going or has a contact(s) looking for someone, please feel free to drop me a PM.

Thanks a mil,
    CM

• Registered Users Posts: 21 swazzie

Cake Man wrote: »
    Hi all,

Sorry to be digging up an old thread but this may be useful for anyone looking for work on a WHV.

I'm in Sydney now two months and just haven't had any luck getting work. Bar a days work through a recruitment agency, there's been nothing.
    does anyone know of any work at all going?
    I'm a 25 year old qualified engineer (process, R&D, mechanical) with over two years experience. However, I kind of accepted on a WHV the chances of getting any engineering work are fairly slim but I do have nearly seven years retail experience so I'd be very much open to work in these areas.

I haven't found the recruitment agencies to be of much help tbh. Was wondering if there was much work going in construction (labouring)? The only problem is I wouldn't have any experience on a site and I'd need to get a white card but if it meant I'd def get some work I'd make the investment.

But as I said, if anyone knows of some work going or has a contact(s) looking for someone, please feel free to drop me a PM.

Thanks a mil,
    CM
    My husband is a mechanical engineer . Not sure Sydney is a good spot for you for engineering jobs , if you were willing to work in Brisbane, Perth or out in the country you would probably find work fairly quick.
    Try mining companies .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Cake Man wrote: »
    Was wondering if there was much work going in construction (labouring)? The only problem is I wouldn't have any experience on a site and I'd need to get a white card but if it meant I'd def get some work I'd make the investment.

Mate of mine was doing labouring through recruitment agencies for a while. He'd no previous experience either but he used to get work at least 3 days a week usually. Agencies arent an ideal way to work, my mate would often get a text at about 5.30am telling him there was work on some site and to be there for 7am. However if you just need something to keep you tipping over and keep some money coming in while you search for other work then no harm in registering with a few labour hire crowds and seeing how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭mayo londoner

Hi everyone, I've my WHV sorted and plan to move out in the next 6 weeks just waiting to complete my driving test before I book flights. I've 3 years experience as a health and safety advisor, 1yr in a University environment in Ireland and 2 years for a groundworks and RC frame construction company in London.

I've applied for tonnes of jobs all over Oz (Not bothered what part I'm situated in as long as I've got work) but not getting any replies, only applying for jobs now to test the waters more than anything. I know it would be a help to have an Australian mobile number and address on my CV but nothing I can do aboiut that for now. Ideally would like to get into the mines as the money seems to be good and wouold have my regional work out of the way but would be just as happy with a job in the city.

This has probably been asked a million times, but does anyone know the best way to get into a company, especially regarding health and safety jobs? Just don't want to land over and be sweating over a lack of money after a couple of months, be nice to have some sort of idea before I go over, is there anyone in the health and safety profession on this forum that knows of any potential jobs arising in their companies or could point me in the right direction? any help would be appreciated,

Advertisement