Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHV Work thread - What Industries Are Still Booming Down Here?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Tom I suggest you consult the australian DIAC website for any future information you want on migrating to Australia. Because quite frankly I could not be @rsed with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

TomRooney wrote: »
    in future i would appreciate if you kept the business of infractions toward me in pm, and show me the same respect you deserve yourself in this respect ie the PM rule.

you already sent me a PM is there realy a need to issue the same thing twice...?

Infractions are not a private message - you just happen to receive a private message. The pm is automatic when i issue an infraction. I don't send it. Also, a red card appears next to your post when you are infracted. Everyone can see it anyway.

I always put in thread if I have banned or infracted someone so that my modding is transparent.Also, you have not shown anyone here any respect so I would be careful throwing that one around.

Please don't bring this up on thread again or you will be banned. I would like this thread to get back on topic. You have already sent me a pm. "Is there really a need to issue the same thing twice?"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Jesus, the recession has really gone from a notion to having a stranglehold on oz in the space of a month. :(

Jesus, the recession has really gone from a notion to having a stranglehold on oz in the space of a month. :(

What are the biggest signs as far as you can see?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

a month??
    optimistic - try 6 months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Zambia232 wrote: »
    What are the biggest signs as far as you can see?

*Losing my job
    *Not getting a single positive response from any firm or even job agency
    *All the 'staff wanted' signs disappearing from windows
    *Every topic of converstaion about the recession
    hussey wrote: »
    a month??
    optimistic - try 6 months

Yes. But it it has gone from it on the way lads to its here.

*Losing my job
    *Not getting a single positive response from any firm or even job agency
    *All the 'staff wanted' signs disappearing from windows
    *Every topic of converstaion about the recession

Yeah thats a fairly good indication, but I was in the position along with the wife 3 months ago. When you have money coming in you tend to have a "Its not that bad" sense about you when your cash flow dies up.

Then you start to really pay attention to these things, keep plugging away you will get something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭pucan

Looks like will be heading back to dublin/london as no one willing to sponsor in my area(IT project management) any more. competing against too many residents/aussies.

pucan wrote: »
    Looks like will be heading back to dublin/london as no one willing to sponsor in my area(IT project management) any more. competing against too many residents/aussies.

Tough break :(

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Job hunt ain't goin too well for myself either. Looks like I may have to resort to something like call centre work. Ugh.

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Job hunt ain't goin too well for myself either. Looks like I may have to resort to something like call centre work. Ugh.

Oh the shame , what will you tell your family ....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Oh the shame , what will you tell your family ....:o

Ha ha I know that sounds snobby but it's something I have little or no interest in so it doesn't excite me one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 EoinG

Just wondering if anyone could make an informed evaluation of my job prospects in Oz, particularly in Sydney?

I graduated with a psychology degree in September... Maybe I could work in some capacity in a hospital or at an Autism school? No experience in these lines though. Also just got a fully-accredited TEFL certificate... Again, no experience. Anyone know how the language schools are doing over there?

Cheers if anyone knows anything... :)

Ha ha I know that sounds snobby but it's something I have little or no interest in so it doesn't excite me one bit.

Mate if you have to go down that route try for collections ... that way you start the call mean and can only improve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Daithio

EoinG wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone could make an informed evaluation of my job prospects in Oz, particularly in Sydney?

I graduated with a psychology degree in September... Maybe I could work in some capacity in a hospital or at an Autism school? No experience in these lines though. Also just got a fully-accredited TEFL certificate... Again, no experience. Anyone know how the language schools are doing over there?

Cheers if anyone knows anything... :)

I'm fairly certain that teaching English as a foreign language is on the list of skills that you can get sponsored for. If you get over here on your WHV and get work in that area you might stand a chance, especially with a degree behind you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Random question, has anyone any experience of the postal industry in OZ?
    Would there be much oppertunities in the post office, the salary doesn't look fantastic even for full timers how far would 32K australian dollars a year get you?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

Random question, has anyone any experience of the postal industry in OZ?
    Would there be much oppertunities in the post office, the salary doesn't look fantastic even for full timers how far would 32K australian dollars a year get you?

Funny you should ask that. One of the people that I shared with back in 94 works for auspost in sydney. the salary is very low and they rely heavily on overtime. Thats been slashed in the past few months. Also alot of the collection / commerical delivery is now being outsourced to courier companies so those jobs going as well. My mate has built up a fair bit of super so is happy enough and back in the day ('94) any job was a good job coming at the death throws of a recession and you could buy a very decent unit for little money (he bought in bronte the git). Different now a days though
    If your looking at living on that kind of salary for a number of years (ie not a temp job on whv) $32 K is way too low even if you were lucky with o/time (as a new hire you wont get much though). Also i dont think its the solid job it once was with all the outsourcing and a lot just get temp contracts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 robert hunter

hey there! this is a great thread im after reading through the whole thing and gotten a lot of info from it,im meant to be heading over to auz with the gfriend and a mate in a months time but after reading through this i just dunno:( but i just cant imagine things being any worse there than ireland at the moment so my question for ye is this myself and my mate are both qualified electricians and im just wondering where would ye suggest we head when we hit auz to try for work we have to go to perth first to get our electricial liscences but to where then i cant decide,were heading over on the wv which i cant see being to much of a prob in my line of work as contractors would usually only keep us on for a few months at a time anyways!!!!!any thought's or suggestions would be much appreciated!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 EoinG

Daithio wrote: »
    I'm fairly certain that teaching English as a foreign language is on the list of skills that you can get sponsored for. If you get over here on your WHV and get work in that area you might stand a chance, especially with a degree behind you too.

Cheers for your help, Daithio. Still too scared to take the plunge right now but hopefully will get to Oz eventually...! :D

Sigh ...... :( if only there was any jobs left down here

Seriously no jobs try Canada :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

hey xavi, my background is in callcentre work, are there many in perth? and do you know if they've shut up shop in regards to hiring also??

ive some oz friends in perth so id like to set up shop there for the first few months and move on from there!! callcentre work would suit me down to the ground as at least with experience id have a slight advantage over your average joe!!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭juanace

Anyone know what the market is like for Fitness Instructors? In local gyms, like crunch here etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

juanace wrote: »
    Anyone know what the market is like for Fitness Instructors? In local gyms, like crunch here etc..

A girls I work with's boyfriend is a fitness instructors (in NZ though and not in Australia).

She said it's been hard enough for him to find a job but he got offered a good one (according to her) the other day and turned it down as it was too far out of town. I guess from that, it can't be too hard to get one or he would have taken anything he could get!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 grace_159

hi guys,
    just spent the last hour reading threads on this and it really has been the best info ive gotten so far by a mile. Hoping SOMEONE can help me even went to an expo last weekend in Dublin and even that was rubbish!!!
    Ok heres my story i have an honors degree in Social Care and have two years experience. My bfriend is newly fully qualified bricklayer threw fas but as ya know its not recongnised in Oz. Looking to head over in Jan '10 was going to go on a WHV but totally put off now...No major preference on where we go
    Thanks guys ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭TomRooney

grace_159 wrote: »
    hi guys,
    just spent the last hour reading threads on this and it really has been the best info ive gotten so far by a mile. Hoping SOMEONE can help me even went to an expo last weekend in Dublin and even that was rubbish!!!
    Ok heres my story i have an honors degree in Social Care and have two years experience. My bfriend is newly fully qualified bricklayer threw fas but as ya know its not recongnised in Oz. Looking to head over in Jan '10 was going to go on a WHV but totally put off now...No major preference on where we go
    Thanks guys ;)

as far as i know the fas standards based apprenticeship is recognised in australia, i know a couple of people who have fas based trades behind them and they all got work in australia, i would suggest your fella apply for a residency visa rather than WHV as employers are more likel;y to take you on if they think your gonna stick around, also ive heard alot of people on the WHV have given it a bad name by not realy taking the work serious due to it being temp job visa

Tom seriously please stop giving people advice just because you know 2 Builders who arrived pre 2009 and are working.

Builders where removed from the critical skills list in the last month which means applying for residency quoting bricklaying will leave you in for a long wait year+.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Zambia, don't back seat mod thanks, if you're unhappy with a post, report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

The hospitality industry is slowing up a little in Auckland now. Summer is moving out. We had some great weather the past week, but the nights are getting cooler. Nights are not as busy as what they were. Viaduct restaurants are slowing down and cutting back a little on shifts, bars and clubs are still doing good at weekends, but weeks days have slowed up.
    But the up side of this slow down is many bars and clubs are doing some great mid week specials and happy hours to keep people coming in

Zambia, don't back seat mod thanks, if you're unhappy with a post, report it.

Was not my intention to Back seat Mod apologies . I was simply disagreeing with Mr Rooney

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭TomRooney

Tom seriously please stop giving people advice just because you know 2 Builders who arrived pre 2009 and are working.

Builders where removed from the critical skills list in the last month which means applying for residency quoting bricklaying will leave you in for a long wait year+.

zambia, i will give whatever advice i deem neseccery, who do you think you are...? this is not china and you are not chairman mao, so get off the high horse.

Advertisement