Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHV Work thread - What Industries Are Still Booming Down Here?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lfat

The economic depression is nothing to do with you? this would only be the case if you have the means to support yourself-either through finding a job- or otherwise once you return from your year in the sun. Unemployment will be 20% in Ireland this time next year my friend so unless that is the case the depression is everything to do with you.

Go and enoy Oz. My net point is that the world has changed and we are in for a very bumpy ride- Ireland and Australia. Irish people shouldn't thing that its all milk and honey down here- it aint and it will get worse before it gets better.

I came to work not sit on the beach. Thats soooo 2006. I live in the real world of 2009. People need to move past the denial phase.
    Regulator, You need to ligthen up a little!! Big deal if the man is going and spending a year in the sun & enjoying himslef! You need to take a chill pill, maybe take a few of them when you're at it. I plan on going too! And as I said, I'm going driving a combine harvester for a few months in the harvest season. Then I plan on chilling, and spending the dollars I earned and ejoying myself. Like CiaranC, I've no ties, no debts and have a good few yoyos saved, and I won't even divulge into that I don't think when I go! So chill out a little

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

I'm the same

Savin me euros

No ties back here

So gonna kill a year by headin to Oz on a workin holiday

Have 4/5 years of college waitin for me when I'm home, so no point sittin around hopin for a job I wont get, and bein miserable from livin in Ireland!

That's not a knife

That's a knife!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

Yawn.

First people on this thread are complaining because Irish people are treating the WHV as an economic migrant visa, then when I say Im just going on a working holiday I get it in the neck as well.

Im not in denial about anything, Im going on a working holiday because I can.

You just cant please some people :) - but it is worth weighing up your options...depending on the area you work in and the type of job you are leaving to go on holiday now might not be the best time (but then it might never be a good time, and you could always find an excuse not to do it)...

My advice is make sure you have as much cash as possible and are well qualified enough with your job to integrate back into real work when you do finish up...and if you are just looking for the holiday part I would reccomend going to SE Asia rather than Oz...your cash will take you ten times further, you have better beach/sun weather, better service for a better price and be further from the Irish experience than Australia could ever offer you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

FreeAnd.. wrote: »
    You just cant please some people :) - but it is worth weighing up your options...depending on the area you work in and the type of job you are leaving to go on holiday now might not be the best time (but then it might never be a good time, and you could always find an excuse not to do it)...
    Exactly! I dont particularly enjoy the line of work im in at the moment, so its no great loss to be leaving.
    My advice is make sure you have as much cash as possible and are well qualified enough with your job to integrate back into real work when you do finish up...and if you are just looking for the holiday part I would reccomend going to SE Asia rather than Oz...your cash will take you ten times further, you have better beach/sun weather, better service for a better price and be further from the Irish experience than Australia could ever offer you...
    Cheers for the advice. Im off to tropical North Queensland, have a place set up with travellers I met on a year in Canada. Ive a degree and 7 years of experience so coming back shouldnt be a huge hassle, and if it is, sure who cares.

I could certainly do with some more money going over though, but should I should be able to get some kitchen work through mates over there anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

The economic depression is nothing to do with you? this would only be the case if you have the means to support yourself-either through finding a job- or otherwise once you return from your year in the sun. Unemployment will be 20% in Ireland this time next year my friend so unless that is the case the depression is everything to do with you.

Go and enoy Oz. My net point is that the world has changed and we are in for a very bumpy ride- Ireland and Australia. Irish people shouldn't thing that its all milk and honey down here- it aint and it will get worse before it gets better.

I came to work not sit on the beach. Thats soooo 2006. I live in the real world of 2009. People need to move past the denial phase.

Regulator, this entire thread is about the point you're making. The funny thing is CiaranC is basically making the same point you're making. You guys are fighting with each other over the same point.

That point is:
    The WHV is a working HOLIDAY visa. If you can't afford to take a holiday, don't come here relying on work, because it's hard to get.

Regulator, you're right, being here on a temp visa isn't a holiday any more, hence the point this thread is here to make is that if you're destitute and have a bunch of financial commitments in Ireland, don't come down here on a WHV.

CiaranC, you're right, this is still the same Australia of beer, sunshine and fun, the economic crisis isn't pinching as hard so if you can afford to take a holiday, you'll probably have a blast.

Lastly, remember that skilled migrant visas still have a good chance at a job and a better life down here, though they may not be able to pick and choose as readily as they would have a year ago.

Now, let's get back on topic - anybody discovered a rich goldmine of opportunity lately?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭paulg1770

im an electrician heading to melbourne, whats my chances of finding work? i have full residency and aussie trade certs. Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭crowl

Hey all,

me and a friend are thinking of heading to Australia for a year after graduating in November. We will have good degrees in mathematics and mechanical engineering respectively and have a fair bit of general work experience.

The plan would be to get WHV's and if we can't get work related to our degrees, to just get anything that's going.

What do you think our prospects would be in Sydney or any of the other big cities?

Would we be better off trying to apply for the skilled migration visa?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Havo

Even during a reccession is there still plenty of seasonal work / fruit picking available??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Havo wrote: »
    Even during a reccession is there still plenty of seasonal work / fruit picking available??
    +1

Would it be affecting mainly Career-type jobs, or all jobs?

I'd just want somethin like retail / bar / waiting to get by

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

If everyone is moving en mass towards one job market, why follow them when it's obvious that your going to have a lot more competition? It would seem that this is the case with the main Aussie cities at the moment and Irish people looking for jobs.

Things might be quite in NZ at the moment, but the competition isn't as bad for skilled work and from what I've read here, NZ is a little more relaxed in terms of going from a whv to a residency. Also, provided you settle quickly and start living cheap your euros will go a long way toward getting you set up.

Other then that, just to say that I've noticed that Mid Level/Senior Level IT jobs aren't being filled in Christchurch at the moment, so it might be worth your time taking a look on seek.co.nz if you've been working in IT a few years. Also a lot of work in early childhood education, but you might need to get locally certified.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

I reckon people are coming here from EU, and expecting it to be this fantastic large place busting with jobs, the former is true, the latter sadly is not. I'm in melbourne just over a month, and yeah just about settled now, but already noticing the spending is still going up and not leveling...

If any fellow paddies are considering coming on the WHV remember:

a. This is not the land of milk and honey, as already stated.
    b. A mars bar costs about $3.00
    c. You cannot buy Harp here for love nor money!
    d. Rego, RWC, is important to have on a car before buying the car.. grrr
    e. The Euro Strength is not as good as it used to be.
    f. Still rather be here than rainy Ireland(for now anyway)

DamoDLK/MELBOURNE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Oakbark wrote: »
    Any advice would be great.

Bring lots of cash ..live simple till you find work ...not a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

Oakbark wrote: »
    Hey all,

I've just graduated from an Economics Masters, and like everyone else, my job prospects are very low. I've been thinking about the idea of going over to Oz for the year as, let's face it, I've nothing to lose and no job here to be getting experience in.

Of course, I've no expectations of degree/masters related jobs or anything - quite frankly if I could find a job that would keep me afloat financially for the year, I'd be happy.

I was just wondering how difficult it is to actually find work in Oz - Is there any way of securing a job before I leave? I wouldn't like to be out there, spend my savings over a month and come home with my tail between my legs.

Any advice would be great.

Cash, seriously you'll need a good bit of it, and you wont find it slipping away, keep an eye on it.. or u will be headin home broke!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Out of curiousity anyone know of many people who lie on CVs and got a nice job out of it? Was thinking this myself when I need to reapply. Even in Ireland HR departments are a scatterbrained breed but Australians as a whole are on another level when it actually comes to cross checking anything or generally doing the job they are meant to do. Giving serious considerations to a CV jam packed full of false qualifications and references next time tbh, see how I fare. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

If your going to Oz, don't look for a job that's a career move. If you get offered a job with say for instance 'data entry', believe me, your not above it no matter what your qualifications are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

In Christhurch at the min, finding it hard to get a steady job.... Anyone happen to be somewhere where they think it seems relatively easy to get work?

On the off chance anyone have any engineering contacts (Long shot I know!)

Anybody at a ski resort that is looking for people?

Working for $12.50 an hr in a bakery for the next wk, nothing i know of after that! Willing to do anything!

Any advice appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

In Christhurch at the min, finding it hard to get a steady job.... Anyone happen to be somewhere where they think it seems relatively easy to get work?

Working for $12.50 an hr in a bakery for the next wk, nothing i know of after that! Willing to do anything!

Any advice appreciated!

Crumble Froo is in Christchurch - she might be able to help. I'm in Wellington so can't help you there. $12.50 an hour - ouch! :) Just don't convert it to euro!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

mp3ireland2, I can sympathise with your situation I spent around 4 weeks searching in Christchurch, and only by luck did I get sorted.

First thing you should know, and was said to me a few times along the way, things move slowly in CC. I didn't even get rejection letters until 5 weeks after the fact, which tbh is BS! But thats the way it roles.

Second of all, drop in to Hayes recruitment, Manpower and Advanced Personel. I found these to be the most proactive and willing to at least talk about the situation. Esp Advanced, as they might be able to get you site work, and seeing as they work with in construction might be able to help you further. Also theres a big ozzie company called fdi or something like who do most work on the roads for the govt, kinda like sisk in Ireland, so sending a cv would be well worth a shot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

MP3Ireland2, Do you have any retail/fashion experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭coco85

Any advice appreciated!

Hey there..have been in CHCH for last 8 months and yes things have slowed down. If you are looking for work in a Ski town why not take a visit out to Methven.-Ski slopes out there and you'd never know!....or if your up for a big move try Queenstown or Wanaka for Winter work..thats if your willing to move down there!

It took my partner and I a month to get work in Chch...maybe also call to Porter Hire on Johns Rd out near the Airport. They do lots of road work for the City Council and might have contact details for you.

Other option is to approach Fulton Hogan http://www.fultonhogan.com/NewZealand/index.htm they might have something in the engineering side of things for you..

I don't know how long you have been in Chch looking for work but i do know that you have to work hard at trying to get a job-i signed up with lots of recruitment companies when we arrived we were constantly on Trade Me and Seek looking for jobs..i must have gone for 30 interviews during my month looking...work will not find you..you must find it and its so much harder in another country where things are so different and you have no contacts or local knowledge.

On the other hand i understand how difficult it can be financially to keep the show on the road. Being away from home doesn't help and yes life in Chch is very very slow. Frustrating at first but it will become to be part of what you will love about the place. Yes people are terribly slow to reply and get their act together and this is awful when you are waiting by the phone with your next few dollars relying on them calling..

Look i'm home right now and going to be back in Chch next week..PM me if you want any more help or info....us Irish gotta stick together...:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭bmcgrath

For anyone who works in the IT industry, I can tell you Brisbane is still doing quite ok in IT. I just finished up my 4 month contract in an insurance company managing their IT systems in the CBD of Brissy. Taking 2 weeks out now but already have worked lined up for the end of July.

Things are not as bad as some say. Construction in Brisbane is still ticking over. Yes it's tightened up for sure but I know there is still work there. A quick look at www.seek.com.au will show there are plenty of jobs but there is a LOT of competition.

I even went for a meeting with an immigration officer last week. She thinks I have little chance of being sponsored. I had a company willing to do it but she said due to my lack of degree I have no hope. If it was this time last year my IT experience alone would have been enough. The only other option I may have is to fork out $4k on a 175 visa.

On another note. If you're coming out here to work for a few months and then do a holiday, and you arent fussy about work, there is still plenty of work out in regional QLD anyway. Fruitpicking, farming, sugar caine etc. Pays well and it's HARD work. I know some Irish are afraid of a bit of hard work but just go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

bmcgrath wrote: »
    I even went for a meeting with an immigration officer last week. She thinks I have little chance of being sponsored. I had a company willing to do it but she said due to my lack of degree I have no hope. If it was this time last year my IT experience alone would have been enough. The only other option I may have is to fork out $4k on a 175 visa.

What qualification do you have? I may have to get sponsered soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭bmcgrath

What qualification do you have? I may have to get sponsered soon.

No qualis just experience. Which apparently is enough for a 175 if you can prove it and it's on their skill list. I've had this discussion with an immigration officer and she seemed confident that it should work.

Play it by ear for the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

also on IT, rural NSW is crying out for people. not everyones cup of tea but if your looking for work talk to agencies and make sure to say you would consider rural work.

had an interesting conversation with a woman from a regional government body a few weeks back and they are on their knees looking for people. also anyone with accountancy experience check it out as well. sorry I dont have more info but was of no interest to me. but if your desperate or justwant to experience regional nsw its certainly a goer. some of the regional places are very nice and the people are generally warmer than the city folk (just keep away from the aboriginal communites for work. just aint worth it)

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

myhorse wrote: »
    also on IT, rural NSW is crying out for people. not everyones cup of tea but if your looking for work talk to agencies and make sure to say you would consider rural work.

had an interesting conversation with a woman from a regional government body a few weeks back and they are on their knees looking for people. also anyone with accountancy experience check it out as well. sorry I dont have more info but was of no interest to me. but if your desperate or justwant to experience regional nsw its certainly a goer. some of the regional places are very nice and the people are generally warmer than the city folk)

i heard that there is a bit of work in wagga wagga and toowoomba alright and they both have big populations...a completly different breed of people i found anyway, compared to city folk

Claasman wrote: »
    i heard that there is a bit of work in wagga wagga and toowoomba alright and they both have big populations...a completly different breed of people i found anyway, compared to city folk

new england area and west of it were the areas mentioned to me. I should be meeting the same people in about 2 weeks or so as I will be in Armidale. If I get more info will post. Big area west of there but some decent sized towns

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Would salaries be lower then in the Rural NSW areas? And what type of IT.
    Is it development or more System/Network type stuff.

jank wrote: »
    Would salaries be lower then in the Rural NSW areas? And what type of IT.
    Is it development or more System/Network type stuff.

oh yeah lower but ,as an example a very rough one, a 30% wage reduction and a 50% cheaper cost of living more than balances it out. And some of the places you can rent for $200 a week are mindblowingly good.

not sure of the range of skills they are looking for but I know some of the education/government bodies need sys admin type people and some of the various firms that operate there need similar.

in fairness its unlikely it willa purely office based job and you may have a job on that requires popping to the next town 3 hours a way but that has benifits as well as negatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Wish I'd looked at the last few bits of advice here sooner. Am heading on from Melbourne (work not working here...) next week, making my way up to Brisbane. Would be totally willing to look for work in rural NSW instead, or Queensland, but we arranged to sublet for a month near the centre of Brisbane, so can't really change direction 'til the end of August.

Ah well... Hopefully we'll find something in Brisbane anyway, and we'll try further out if we've nothing at the end of a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

How is the IT industry looking around Sydney at the moment?

I might be moving down there at the end of the year on a permanent basis, would be sometime between November and January. I will be looking for work once I arrive, I have over 10 years experience plus I'll have a permanent visa.

Is there any point looking for work before I even arrive in Sydney and what would be a realistic time frame to get a job once I start looking?

Advertisement