Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHV Work thread - What Industries Are Still Booming Down Here?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭cooper38

just read in the sunday world that theres a work in australia information night in the red cow inn dublin 4th august at 7.30.

went to one a few months ago, asides from going on a bit there was a lot of useful info on jobs etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

cooper38 wrote: »
    just read in the sunday world that theres a work in australia information night in the red cow inn dublin 4th august at 7.30.

went to one a few months ago, asides from going on a bit there was a lot of useful info on jobs etc

Migration Agents looking for work:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭dark21

hi all just trying to find out what does a fetac level 5 in child care amount to in australia? any info would be helpful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 cornertalk

Hey everyone

Does anyone know what the current climate is like for accountants? More specifically in the financial services sector. Sorry if this has been mentioned before, I ran searches on the thread for accountant and financial and nothing came up. I'm thinking of doing the WHV and I'm looking for anything accounting related. I know the market wasn't too good back in Feb for accountants when I went to an information evening but I'm hoping things have picked up a little since.

Thanks

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 solas geal

Hi, I'm here on a WHV at the moment in Sydney and am an accountant. Have been looking for work the last week, and while we have nothing as yet, the general consensus from recruitment agencies etc seems to be that things are on the up. I know that might not exactly convert into concrete jobs as yet, but at least the signs are looking good!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Kennyderek

cornertalk wrote: »
    Hey everyone

Does anyone know what the current climate is like for accountants? More specifically in the financial services sector. Sorry if this has been mentioned before, I ran searches on the thread for accountant and financial and nothing came up. I'm thinking of doing the WHV and I'm looking for anything accounting related. I know the market wasn't too good back in Feb for accountants when I went to an information evening but I'm hoping things have picked up a little since.

Thanks

:)

Hi Cornertalk,

I recruited in Sydney for a couple of years, I recruited accountants for the investment banks, 99% of the people I placed were the Irish accountants on the WHV. I now run a company called {snip} and process visas and put people in touch with the best recruiters in the market, in Sydney there are probably about 2-3 really good accounting recruiters who have a lot of influence...

Even when the market collapsed Australian banks still performed well. They did put everything on hold hence why 6-12 months ago the feedback from the guys over there was not good. Things since then have really picked up and people who say there is nothing out there either do not have the desired skill set, dont come across well in an interview or just are not proactive enough.

I would definitely reccomened heading over, Im back in Dublin now as I am holding information evenings etc but cant wait to get back to Sydney!!! :)

Cheers,

Derek

Hooray for Watna ...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Mac055

Hi all, just arrived in perth last week with my girlfriend, she's an aussie citizen, i'm over on the WHV but the plan is to apply for the de facto (spouse) visa in feb, i've come over with 4000 euro in my bank account and my cv as they say. we've been staying with friends and for the next few weeks are staying with her parents in bunbury. her best friend is a recruitment consultant and many of her friends and family are on the lookout for work for me, i'm a graphic designer with over 2 years experience. she's a nurse and will have no problem getting work. I know i'll be limited to what i can get in my field on the WHV, but it is my intention to apply for the de facto as soon as we're living together a year. We done intend to get marry if and went i get residency, it's my first time in the country, i'd appreciate any insight anyone would like to offer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭JuJuBean

Hi
    If anyone can give some advice or direct me to a more appropriate forum I'd be delighted.
    The BF and I were at the Working Abroad expo in the RDS yesterday. We spoke to an agent who helps people secure migration work visas in Aus. We are both in our thirties and work in HR. We were advised that our skills are on the list of skilled occupations that they will accept, and if I apply for the visa my BF can piggy back on that as De Facto. So we are seriously considering doing this and moving to Oz in about 9 months. We have friends out there and would like to be in Sydney or Brisbane, or even Melbourne. We'd look at going for 1-2 years at first and see how it goes. I have a contract role here which ends next year and he can get a career break for up to 5 years.
    The agent would charge me approx €3000 to get the visa application completed including all the the admin that goes with that.
    So my questions are:
    - Are we being realistic in thinking that we could get work? The jobs sites seem to have lots of HR opportunities advertised. We've good experience plus we'd have the longer term visa, wouldn't be looking for WHV type work
    - Is the visa application difficult - is it worth our while to use an agent and pay the 3k which includes the visa fee?

Any help appreciated.
    -

Hi

The fee : There are schools of thought on this and some say do it yourself others say pay the Agent. I Thought the agent was good during my initial skills assessment he sent stuff back to me saying this just wont cut it. For the application to DIAC for the VISA chances are you could possibly be able to do it yourself on line easy enough. Using the BE (www.britishexpats.com) website for advice if you get stuck. Look at the Skilled Migrant Visa Thread here it might have some insight.

0-9 Months: This is a short time frame to give you the skills assessment + VISA application took us 1.5 Years all in all. However your case could be different. Dont be afraid to ask for recomendations on agents. A good agency that answers your concerns could make your life a lot easier.

The wait is longer if you are not on the CSL (Critical skills list), I also get the impression state sponsorship moves it along as well.

Will you get work: Yes but its a struggle even with PR it can be tough, but with a bit of luck yes getting work can be achieved. Just bring enough cash to live on till you find something. Could be up to or over 6 months. Then again could be a few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Anyone know if there's many vacancies in the area of web design in Oz? In Sydney, Melbourne, and Brisbane especially?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Am in Brisbane at the moment, looking for admin/callcentre work, nothing going at the moment. Anyone in that field here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 onahealthkick

Hi guys looking for advice currenly living in Ireland but thinking of heading to Perth. My husband is a carpenter I work in an office. Apparantly he is still able to get a visa skilled migrant but only for certain state (perth).

We have been really thinking hard about it as we have two kids. Is there really alot of work in Carpentry in Perth .I know agencies will tell us anything for us to get a visa a they are 5000 euro now.I do not want to uproot kids for nothing we need permanent positions and decent wages. At the moment things are very bleak here and we are both unemployed:mad:

I would be gratefull for advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Hi guys looking for advice currenly living in Ireland but thinking of heading to Perth. My husband is a carpenter I work in an office. Apparantly he is still able to get a visa skilled migrant but only for certain state (perth).

We have been really thinking hard about it as we have two kids. Is there really alot of work in Carpentry in Perth .I know agencies will tell us anything for us to get a visa a they are 5000 euro now.I do not want to uproot kids for nothing we need permanent positions and decent wages. At the moment things are very bleak here and we are both unemployed:mad:

Check out seek.com.au

Buildings are largely timber frame here so you husband should be sorted.

Check out www.britishexpats.com in regards Perth a lot of Pom's head there and from what I hear work for tradies there is not that good at present. There is a lot of work in Melbourne but thats of no use to you.

Be carefull in regards what agencys tell you about he job market. They by right should be banned from even specualting on it. the job market they are most concerned with is their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭lilirish

Sorry to jump in the middle of all this but could you guys help me out with some WHV questions please?

1. Can I apply for a working holiday visa once I arrive in NZ as opposed to before I leave Ireland?
    2. Will I be issued with a temporary visa/permit once I land i.e 30 days which would give me a chance to get the lay of the land job wise and get the ful WHV sorted etc?

The reason for this is that I am going to be in SEA/Oz for at least 5 months before I hit NZ. I don't want to use up time on the WHV whilst in other countries. Or, alternately, can I put a date of 5-6 months later on the NZ WHV?

I dont want to book a WHV only to arrive in NZ and a. not be able to find any work and have a wasted WHV!

3. On the NZ immigration website there was talk of medical x ray and helth checks - does anyone have any experience of this?

I'm sure these have been covered in this thread but its quite extensive!:)

Thanking you muchly in advance. Roll on 2010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭max_power

Anyone know if there's much of a pharmaceutical industry in Melbourne? Jobs available?

max_power wrote: »
    Anyone know if there's much of a pharmaceutical industry in Melbourne? Jobs available?

Yes and if you have PR I can piont you in the right direction. possibly have you employed by next week. In a Pharmacy but not as a Pharmacist.

lilirish wrote: »
    Sorry to jump in the middle of all this but could you guys help me out with some WHV questions please?

1. Can I apply for a working holiday visa once I arrive in NZ as opposed to before I leave Ireland?
    2. Will I be issued with a temporary visa/permit once I land i.e 30 days which would give me a chance to get the lay of the land job wise and get the ful WHV sorted etc?

The reason for this is that I am going to be in SEA/Oz for at least 5 months before I hit NZ. I don't want to use up time on the WHV whilst in other countries. Or, alternately, can I put a date of 5-6 months later on the NZ WHV?

I dont want to book a WHV only to arrive in NZ and a. not be able to find any work and have a wasted WHV!

3. On the NZ immigration website there was talk of medical x ray and helth checks - does anyone have any experience of this?

I'm sure these have been covered in this thread but its quite extensive!:)

Thanking you muchly in advance. Roll on 2010.

Your whv starts when you land doesnt it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

hi there. I'm currently in Perth at the minute. things are starting to pick up here. there is always work for carpenters here but most of it is formwork(shuttering) which as your husband probably knows is the butchery of carpentry! alot of the carpentry jobs here aren't advertised as most chippies get work by word of mouth.
    On the subject of visas you would probably be lucky to get a skilled visa by 2012 unless things change with immigration before that. they brought in changes to the skilled list on sept 23rd which has taken most trades off the skilled list. you should contact a migration agent for more advice or look on www.britishexpats.com.
    p.s. perth is a city not a state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 onahealthkick

aido79 wrote: »
    hi there. I'm currently in Perth at the minute. things are starting to pick up here. there is always work for carpenters here but most of it is formwork(shuttering) which as your husband probably knows is the butchery of carpentry! alot of the carpentry jobs here aren't advertised as most chippies get work by word of mouth.
    On the subject of visas you would probably be lucky to get a skilled visa by 2012 unless things change with immigration before that. they brought in changes to the skilled list on sept 23rd which has taken most trades off the skilled list. you should contact a migration agent for more advice or look on www.britishexpats.com.
    p.s. perth is a city not a state.

Sorry I know Perth is not a state I just wote it wrong! As regards visas we would get one within a year this already has been checked Thanks . Thanks for the info on the carpentry it doesn't sound to hectic tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭max_power

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Yes and if you have PR I can piont you in the right direction. possibly have you employed by next week. In a Pharmacy but not as a Pharmacist.

Thanks for the response, it'd actually be fore my girlfriend. She has a Bsc in pharmacology, not pharmacy, so i'm not sure if she'd be qualified to work in a pharmacy. Don't know though, it's all jibberish to me. I'll ask her.

What did you mean by "If you have PR..." by the way, acronyms aren't a strong point of mine either!

max_power wrote: »
    Thanks for the response, it'd actually be fore my girlfriend. She has a Bsc in pharmacology, not pharmacy, so i'm not sure if she'd be qualified to work in a pharmacy. Don't know though, it's all jibberish to me. I'll ask her.

What did you mean by "If you have PR..." by the way, acronyms aren't a strong point of mine either!

Sorry mate it means Permanent Residence. A lot of jobs look for it. Especially one one that nature. As for working in a Pharmacy she is fine she just cant dispense Drugs lots of positions for none drug dispensing staff. After getting here she can look up whats required of here to move forward from the Pharmacy Guild.

I am still doing my pharmacy degree. Would there be much locum pharmacist work going on in Oz when the recession goes away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 insight

hi people,
    i'am 30 years old at present(31 in march) can i still apply for the new-zealand whv before i'am 31 and if i get it do i have to activate it before my 31st birthday? cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 48 kensingtondell

insight wrote: »
    hi people,
    i'am 30 years old at present(31 in march) can i still apply for the new-zealand whv before i'am 31 and if i get it do i have to activate it before my 31st birthday? cheers

You should call the London office. There is no Irish office so they handle Ireland and UK. I rang them about a query and they were very helpful. When you first ring, they say the call will cost £1 a minute or something but as far i remember thats only for UK callers. Irish callers are charged at standard UK calling rates.

http://www.immi.gov.au/contacts/overseas/u/united-kingdom/callers-outside-uk.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

insight wrote: »
    hi people,
    I applied for it while I was 30 and arrived after my 31st birthday with no hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭lilirish

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Your whv starts when you land doesnt it?

Is this the case or does it begin from the date your application is approved?

• Advertisement

No when you land , someone back me up on this ? :o

Advertisement