Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHV Work thread - What Industries Are Still Booming Down Here?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Zambia232 wrote: »
    No when you land , someone back me up on this ? :o

You have to enter within a year of the date it was approved but on arrival going through customs etc they will stamp your passport and date it and your visa is up in a year of that day stamped on your passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭lilirish

Thanking you both :)

Anyone know can I apply for a WHV once in NZ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

lilirish wrote: »
    Thanking you both :)

Anyone know can I apply for a WHV once in NZ?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Does the same age limit apply in NZ as in Aus, i.e. can't get in after 31 on whv??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Does the same age limit apply in NZ as in Aus, i.e. can't get in after 31 on whv??

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=age+limit+new+zealand+working+holiday+visa

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

http://www.bunac.org/uk/worknewzealand/eligibility.aspx

The above programme seems to allow Irish people apply for a 12 month WHV up until they are 35. You have to be in the UK at time of application though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

There's always one w****r on here

I don't know what you mean. Would you like to know where NZ is, while we're at it? I could google that for you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

There's always one w****r on here

Excuse me? You can't call people **** on this forum or on boards all together. Insult the post, not the poster. Next time you speak to anyone like that you'll be banned.

Passive - you shouldn't respond to posts like that. Just report it.

Lets get back on topic please - I don't want it brought up on thread again. If either of you have a problem, pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Goiter

Just wondering; when do you get paid in Oz? My mate says that most jobs pay you per month. Is this true?

• Advertisement

Goiter wrote: »
    Just wondering; when do you get paid in Oz? My mate says that most jobs pay you per month. Is this true?

I dunno about serious/full time type jobs, but I work in a supermarket, which pays weekly, and all the restaurant/café type jobs I know people with pay weekly.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Kaka86

Hey is there any bank jobs in Aust. preferably sydney?!?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Kaka86 wrote: »
    what ya mean?
    as in bank teller??
    or working in a bank?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

No Sydney has no banks ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Goiter wrote: »

If your a temp, it's more likely you'll be paid weekly.
    Zambia232 wrote: »
    No Sydney has no banks ...

Sharp but deserved. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

I think its only buildings that can get a job as a bank.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

I think its only buildings that can get a job as a bank.:D

You can bank on that. Huhuhuhuhuhuh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

m@cc@ wrote: »
    You can bank on that. Huhuhuhuhuhuh.

You teller macca! weh weh weh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Keep making puns like that and you'll end up aloan for the rest of your life !

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

Well, I'm working as a sales manager for an insulation company and despite the whole insulation boom having slowed down a bit since the grant was cut, its still booming - my bf works as an insulation installer for the company and since august is bringing home about 3 - 4 grand a week, no joke.

Saying that, i find it is all about contacts getting jobs over here - most of our recruitment is by referral!
    Most irish trademen i know here have gotten their jobs through friends/ people they play football with etc.

Definately picking back up again in sydney but you can't be picky either....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭603304529

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,26585605-3102,00.html

"Queensland housing industry hit by skills shortage"

• Registered Users Posts: 41 gerryfields

heading to brisbane in feb how is the work situation over there now?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Digitaljunkie

Was at the OZ seminar today in Citywest Sun 25th, their was two Aussie Government representatives speaking and stated that they are still looking for tradies in South Aus and New South Whales especially outside of the larger cities.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Was at the OZ seminar today in Citywest Sun 25th, their was two Aussie Government representatives speaking and stated that they are still looking for tradies in South Aus and New South Whales especially outside of the larger cities.

D.
    They say anything else worthwhile/interesting mate? Basically just that it's all good down under nowadays?

They said the likes of Sydney is not so great as everybody heads their. Their are shortages in smaller citys/towns outside the main centers. A good tip is a lot of local employers are advertising on local papers and shying away from national advertisers.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

D.

Interesting. Would have liked to have asked the gov reps if thats the case then why were trades taken off the csl and are supposedly not being processed till 2012 (and some people applied in late 08/09 and have been told as much)

They said the likes of Sydney is not so great as everybody heads their. Their are shortages in smaller citys/towns outside the main centers. A good tip is a lot of local employers are advertising on local papers and shying away from national advertisers.

D.
    That I agree with re: advertising locally. I have posted on here twice already that the best advise I can give is to pick an area , google to see if there is a local paper with an online presence and look for jobs that way as they advertise locally and not on seek,mycareer,careerone etc

myhorse wrote: »
    Interesting. Would have liked to have asked the gov reps if thats the case then why were trades taken off the csl and are supposedly not being processed till 2012 (and some people applied in late 08/09 and have been told as much)

The reason is they want "young people" with trade qualifications and others of coarse, as many regions have a retiring population of these people. But only for these areas. Give them a 12 month visa and if their young enough then they will extend their visa happy days. No good if your over 31 :eek:

Also had a comment that they are looking for the cream of the crop now.

Regarding 2012 she may have made a freudian slip. She said 2014 but she then went back to 2013.

Dj.

The reason is they want "young people" with trade qualifications and others of coarse, as many regions have a retiring population of these people. But only for these areas. Give them a 12 month visa and if their young enough then they will extend their visa happy days. No good if your over 31 :eek:

Also had a comment that they are looking for the cream of the crop now.

Regarding 2012 she may have made a freudian slip. She said 2014 but she then went back to 2013.

Dj.

Interesting. The cynic in me would take it that that means get them in for a year extend for the 2nd year and then ship them out. Open ended promises never seem as good as they seem. If they were really that worried about the aging work force (a myth*) they would be going all out with state sponsored leading to PR and trying to attract a skilled experienced workforce. There are alot of them knocking around Ireland at the moment. As I say if I was a cynic. I believe they were still encouraging skilled residency applicatications from tradies up to the week of the csl anouncement.

*I say a myth as any decent sized Australian regional town will have its own youth doing their appenticeships in house. They then head off from 21 to 30'ish to the states big smoke but a decent number return when they are ready to settle down and raise a family. This of course is just based on my experience over the years

• Advertisement

As for the aging work force sorry they said "skilled aging workforce" quoted by the gov reps in areas of South Australia and Victoria. If that is a Myth why would Government reps say such a thing?

To be honest i'm only going on what Oz Gov reps said at the seminar in City West! They even went as far as to make a funny comment that it was ageist :rolleyes:

Dj.

Advertisement