Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHV Work thread - What Industries Are Still Booming Down Here?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

As for the aging work force sorry they said "skilled aging workforce" quoted by the gov reps in areas of South Australia and Victoria. If that is a Myth why would Government reps say such a thing?

To be honest i'm only going on what Oz Gov reps said at the seminar in City West! They even went as far as to make a funny comment that it was ageist :rolleyes:

Dj.
    Totally understand you are going on what they said. However it usually worries me when dept of immi people open their mouth. Some are woefully uninformed at times.
    I find a good yardstick is the BE site where you will find people on pr with trades and see if any of them are having difficulty getting work in those areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Digitaljunkie

myhorse wrote: »
    Totally understand you are going on what they said. However it usually worries me when dept of immi people open their mouth. Some are woefully uninformed at times.
    I find a good yardstick is the BE site where you will find people on pr with trades and see if any of them are having difficulty getting work in those areas.

Agree BE's a good one also PIOz got good info two.

Dj.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭ToasterSparks

Hi - I'm a Business and Economics masters graduate and I'm hoping to go on a WHV. I'd really prefer to have a job lined up before I get there, and ideally in the banking/financial services/finance area.

Obviously I'll settle for any job but I just wondered if it was possible to find a little bit more relevant experience in the areas I mentioned above? If I could it would be great.

Anyone have any advice/tips?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

What current experience do you have? If none then I think you might be wasting your time but you never know you might get lucky.

I have no idea of that industry though. Have a look through this sticky as the answer is probably here already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Hi - I'm a Business and Economics masters graduate and I'm hoping to go on a WHV. I'd really prefer to have a job lined up before I get there, and ideally in the banking/financial services/finance area.

Don't stress yourself trying to organise a job before you get there as unless your an IT contractor, I wouldn't fancy your chances of making it happen, especially on a WHV.

• Advertisement

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Don't stress yourself trying to organise a job before you get there as unless your an IT contractor, I wouldn't fancy your chances of making it happen, especially on a WHV.

Is it really that difficult to organise work before leaving? My main concern is always that I won't find a job when I get there, and I really can't afford the cost of going to Australia and coming home a few weeks later with my pockets empty.

Realistically, how long would it take to find a temp job or retail work once I land? I know there's no set timescale, but assuming I'm determined to find something straight away, will it be difficult?

Is it really that difficult to organise work before leaving? My main concern is always that I won't find a job when I get there, and I really can't afford the cost of going to Australia and coming home a few weeks later with my pockets empty.

Realistically, how long would it take to find a temp job or retail work once I land? I know there's no set timescale, but assuming I'm determined to find something straight away, will it be difficult?

How long is a piece of string? Depends on what city you go to, what you're willing to do and just a little bit of luck. I've been to Sydney and Melbourne, I've had no real hardship finding work. I had a job in Sydney two weeks after arriving in Oz. I'd recommend having 6 weeks spending money at least (again, this depends on your budget) to be safe.

Sorry m@cc@, I guess I'm being very general. I guess I'm pretty flexible with regards location, and I don't really mind what work I have to do - probably retail work or office temping if possible, I don't think I'm cut out for labouring. I did suggest degree-relevant work above but that was more wishful thinking than anything!

Can I ask what work you're doing? I know there's loads of info in this thread already, but as things can change quickly I'd like to be up-to-date! I know I probably sound like a reluctant whiny WHVer, but I just don't like the idea of jumping into it without a decent plan. But I guess there's always going to be risk attached, and maybe I should just take the plunge and go, right?

I don't think you should make such a big move such as going to oz with out having at least six months min, of cash to support yourself. Its a major move so if it don't work out at least you can have a good holiday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

Sorry I guess that was a slight exaggeration - obviously I have a couple of months worth of cash to keep me going - I'm not going to be stranded after a week or anything!

While we're on the subject though, how much should I budget for a time period of 6 months? I know, it's another 'how long is a piece of string' argument, but assuming that I'm pretty sensible, don't plan on going out every night, and hope to see a bit of Oz, how much would be enough for 6 months?

In my head I'm imagining a huge budget, but considering I lived off my grant money in college, I imagine I could stretch my funds pretty well. Right?

• Advertisement

Not sure it depends on your self and weather you can stay with friends etc. A good guide in my book do it in reverse. How much would you need if you were coming to Ireland for six months?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

ToasterSparks - really just bring as much as possible with you. As far as I know, it's next to impossible to organise work in advance unless you're going on a skilled visa - certainly not on a WHV. There's a lot of people struggling to find work when they are actually in Aus.

The WHV is supposed to be so you can supplement your spending money when you're on a year long holiday, travelling about Aus. If you think of it with that mentality then I think it'll make thinking of how much money to bring etc much easier.

Retail and WHV are just a no no now. Was a different story 4-5 years ago but nobody wants to hire someone for just 12 weeks and having to lose them again. Recruitment is a major cost to a business and the longer you can work in a company the better.

However office temping might be doable but again its about experience. If you have experience in something and something is going in that line than that is what you should pursue.

Seems to me like you are very unsure about the whole thing.

Ask yourself this. Why are you going!
    Is it to see OZ, if so why? think about it for a bit and make a decision.

If its more of a holiday then go on a holiday and forget about work, if its to work then very different story totally! Maybe you are trying to have your cake and eat it too. Sometimes it doesnt work out. But if you have money to stay in OZ for a few months then use that to travel rather than trying to find work for months or weeks on end and end up with nothing except regret and resentment.

Yeah, you're dead right, I guess it's just in my nature to try to be ultra organised, but I guess there's just some things that can't be prepared in advance.

@jank: I think you hit the nail on the head with your comment. In trying to have work lined up I'm kind of forgetting the whole reason I'm going to Oz. Being realistic, I'd like to get proper work experience, but that's wishful thinking unless I got a Skilled Worker Visa, which I won't.

What I really want is to enjoy the trip, and try to fit in a few temp jobs or short-term jobs in between to supplement it.

Thanks for all the advice, lots to think about!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TirEoghain

CiaranC wrote: »
    http://www.bunac.org/uk/worknewzealand/eligibility.aspx

The above programme seems to allow Irish people apply for a 12 month WHV up until they are 35. You have to be in the UK at time of application though.

I'm not seeing this visa mentioned anywhere else on the internet other than on the bunac site. Do they let you just apply for the visa without the essential package?

Now that I've seen this, I'm thinking about doing a year in NZ if I can't get sponsored for a job in Australia.

Anyone here doing IT work in NZ? Is the market ok? I'm working in QA/Testing, and have over 7 years experience.

Cheers folks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

TirEoghain wrote: »
    I'm not seeing this visa mentioned anywhere else on the internet other than on the bunac site. Do they let you just apply for the visa without the essential package?

Now that I've seen this, I'm thinking about doing a year in NZ if I can't get sponsored for a job in Australia.

Anyone here doing IT work in NZ? Is the market ok? I'm working in QA/Testing, and have over 7 years experience.

Cheers folks

Yeah the market is pretty strong here in Wellington for Developers anyway but I had seen plenty of Test roles available too.

jank wrote: »
    Retail and WHV are just a no no now. Was a different story 4-5 years ago but nobody wants to hire someone for just 12 weeks and having to lose them again.

I've seen this posted a few times by a few people. You're actually allowed to be with the same employer for 6 months.

Have they changed this recently? Seems you are right.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/

However my comments about retail jobs and WHV stands true. Which is weird as you would think its the opposite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

However my comments about retail jobs and WHV stands true. Which is weird as you would think its the opposite.
    I worked in retail for 3 months up in Queensland. Maybe its different in the cities.

• Advertisement

When I was was going over in June, it was definitely 6 months but you're far from the only one who has said 12 weeks so I imagine it must have sometime close to that.

I've seen this posted a few times by a few people. You're actually allowed to be with the same employer for 6 months.

Thanks for that.

I now have an interview for a consultancy in Sydney at 11:30 here, so if that goes well, I'd get my sponsorship after all. :)

Fingers crossed!

When I was was going over in June, it was definitely 6 months but you're far from the only one who has said 12 weeks so I imagine it must have sometime close to that.

No idea where the 12 weeks came from. It always had been 3 months, and recently became 6 months. Not sure how recently, definitely at least a year anyway.

No idea where the 12 weeks came from. It always had been 3 months, and recently became 6 months. Not sure how recently, definitely at least a year anyway.

Well, 12 weeks, 3 months, let's not get all pedantic about it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Beachband

Cheers folks

Whats the story with that?

Is it factual????

Beachband wrote: »

Whats the story with that?

Is it factual????

Hmmm, I'm not quite with you here.

The website confilicts with the NZ immigrations site, so I am inclided to question it as I like to get info from official sources.

Well, 12 weeks, 3 months, let's not get all pedantic about it. :pac:

Whoops, was posting in a hurry and weeks just looked like less than months. :)

Whoops, was posting in a hurry and weeks just looked like less than months. :)

12.6 weeks for those pedantic folks:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

That Visa is a special arrangement BUNAC have with the NZ gov, its outside the normal arrangements.

BUNAC are legit.

• Advertisement

Cheers folks

Interesting!!!!!

Advertisement