Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice from the boardies

Options
  • 23-02-2009 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭

firstly, sorry if this should be in theory subform..was not sure!!

went on tilt on ipoker last week..cleaned my account outredface.gif
    havent got a winning strategy for sng yet..play only premium hands but its constant bubbles or beatings with best cards.i am down on sng for sure..

however tight aggressive is making me money on cash tables(or at least i was in green till last week... couldnt win a race..mad.gifbecame a bad fish)usually play low stake sng and mutli tournies in rough patch to keep loses to a minimum..but it happened too fast lol really did take 2 steps back here as im usually smart enough to leave it or go play sng for few days...but only takes one streak to f**k all d hardwork up.

cant afford to deposit too much..am a student..and its a recession:(:Pi seem to be able to consistently beat .5/1$ 6 seat tables..and take regular shots at 1/2$..usualy do okay but cant say im beating it consistently
    also i feel d micro mini stakes(below .5/1) are bit of a bingo on ipoker.havent made any deposits since...am still tryin to convince myself the internet is all a fix..hahabiggrin.gif

so advice on avoiding tilt,and starting fresh. know im playing stakes too big for my bank but like i say lower stakes may as well sit on roulete and keep doubling my bet on red.:p

😎

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭RoadSweeper

First of all,

Now,

i seem to be able to consistently beat .5/1$ 6 seat tables..and take regular shots at 1/2$..usualy do okay but cant say im beating it consistently
    also i feel d micro mini stakes(below .5/1) are bit of a bingo on ipoker.

so advice on avoiding tilt,and starting fresh. know im playing stakes too big for my bank but like i say lower stakes may as well sit on roulete and keep doubling my bet on red.:p

This is wrong. Now wanting to play micro or low stakes because the players are worse and play 'bingo'. Poker is about adapting and exploiting the opponents. It is easier to exploit weaker players than better ones.

FWIW I remember getting a free $10 deposit and complaining that the fish at lower stakes were killing me because they were so bad and coolering me. Ste05 told me that moving up levels because players were too bad at a lower level was ridiclous. Basically, You should be able to beat a certain level before moving onto the next.

Also, try posing hands that confuse you. Read the stickies, Ask questions, learn and read poker theory.

Most importantly, exercise proper bankroll management. You WILL remain busto if you dont. Also, dont tilt. You will be busto and remain busto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dK1NG

Without bankroll management, you might as well just throw the money on red!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

At a guess self discipline and attitude are your main problems with BR management being the worst of it. If you don't mind me asking what BR were you playing 100 and 200nl with? My advice would be to start lower and not move up until you've beaten the level your at over around 10k hands or so minimum and beaten it well and your BR meets the requirements to move up. It'll require discipline, but if you do it you'll learn more about your game and improve it than you'd ever thought possible, relaise where your leaks are, become a far better player, tilt less and end up back at 100nl but having the roll to play it.

No offence, but most people say things like "I can't beat the low stakes because the play is nonsense, it's not poker" when in reality, and this is a generalisation, they can't beat the lowstakes because they aren't actually good enough. If you lack the discipline to exploit weak players and the ability to maximise your returns against them, and adjust to their play, you wont succeed at any level, that's just the cold hard truth. Nobody was ever too good to beat a bad game, and good players griding their way up the limits can achieve excellent win-rates at those levels. That may seem harsh but it's just a generlaisation, I know nothing about your game, so I could be wrong, but I've never seen that argument put forward by someone who was beating poker for a decent amount at a higher level than the one they were claiming was too fishy to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

thanks for replies...

ya i know my b.r is way to small...and i have to look at micro stakes as been a learning experience rather then a profit making one...like what profits/hr at tiny blinds can u really expect to make?!guess thats what il av 2 do though..tiny blinds here i come:D

any sng advice..i really do play tight and try to follow basics regarding correct odds for draws etc...but im not winning?!i used to but i changed something and am now getting killed...

😎

You'd be surprised, I was multitabling 20nl a couple of months ago and over a decentish sample of hands I think I was running at nearly 20 dollars an hour with bonuses and stuff, now I was running hot over that sample I'm quite sure but still.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

You seem to want action. Your boards name and your constant play indicate that.
    My suggestion is you go through your hand histories, hand by hand, and see your mistakes. You do download your hand histories? You can load them into a word processor, and type in your comments beside important hands. This might promote a bit of thought on each hand, and that might become a habit in future play.
    Why not play freerolls until you can comfortably reach the last 20% of players, preferably the last 10%. This will provide training, and keep you from using up cash. PokerStars have 10,000 player freerolls. There is no point in playing unless you can compete.
    You get paid for lasting in tournaments, not for having a big stack.

someone name a blind level..all d way back to 1c and 2c?!?:O what deposit would you recommend for that level..and how many tables were you playin...id take 20$an hour at the moment..actaully even ten..lol
    ten dollars,call it 40/50 an night...adds up

😎

It all depends, we need more information to answer that question. Simply what are you willing to deposit, that you could ultimately lose and not care about? And poker money should always be that, money you could lose and not be worse off because of it to begin with

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭RoadSweeper

Dont seek to make $X p/h. Concentrate on playing poker and let your winrate follow. You should have minimum 20 buyins for your level. And more if your going to multi table. The more tables you play, the less you will develop as a player.

Also, playing micro stakes wont generate $20 p/h in most cases.

Get a good rakeback deal too which will help buld your bank roll. But dont expect to be crushing or raking in the cash instantly. You will have to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Wolves

i seem to be able to consistently beat .5/1$ 6 seat tables

stick to this then

• Advertisement

Wolves wrote: »
    stick to this then

not bankrolled for it...

😎

ya im young and learning..no pint playin more then 3 tables i feel..u cant get a feel for whats going on..who is making silly moves...who is a rock..etc..
    when u say multitable..do u mean you are one of these 16tablers??lol

😎

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dK1NG

thanks for replies...

ya i know my b.r is way to small...and i have to look at micro stakes as been a learning experience rather then a profit making one...like what profits/hr at tiny blinds can u really expect to make?!guess thats what il av 2 do though..tiny blinds here i come:D

This is what I'm going through now. I used to play higher limits, but withdrew my roll in 07 and didnt play any online poker. Started back online late last year (August or so) with a roll for 20nl (0.10/0.20 blinds) Absolutely hated it at first, getting beat after beat. Eventually I learned to embrace it cos I know in the long run I will make profit form getting it in ahead 80-20.

The time spent at 20nl will also help me when I move back up. I used to play 8 tables, but now I've dropped back to 4 to really concentrate on my own game. Quality rather than quantity for the moment. Sure, it will take longer to move up but there is no point me moving up when I still have so many leaks in my game.

Do you have Holdem Manager or Poker Tracker? These are essential imo. Also make sure to go back over your hand history and look at your play. Not just your losing hands, also your winning hands. I'm beating 20nl now at over 20bb/100hands and am not far short of having hte roll to move to 50nl. Patience is a virtue - especially at the micro stakes!

Best of lcuk with it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

playing more than 1 table = multitabling

nuxxx wrote: »
    playing more than 1 table = multitabling

hmm...not to the same degree as use d lads playin 12 tables...iv seen 16/17 tables on the rare occasion to.

😎

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

read all sticky threads, over and over again, and when you think you know it all, read it again.

hmm...not to the same degree as use d lads playin 12 tables...iv seen 16/17 tables on the rare occasion to.

Playing 2 tables or 24 is still multitabling

Guys playin 16 tables are only playing the cards

4-6 tables is ideal imo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Boilerbad

What are the premiums hands you use, have been doing well on full tilt recently basically dont play KK never wins dont play AJ KJ does well and AQ AK is solid enough :cool:

45 is a great hand on internet poker

Boilerbad wrote: »
    What are the premiums hands you use, have been doing well on full tilt recently basically dont play KK never wins dont play AJ KJ does well and AQ AK is solid enough :cool:

45 is a great hand on internet poker

Depends on villians involved in the hand. My UTG range is extremly tight, playing only AA KK AK AQs JJ and pocket pairs.

Where did you pull 45 out of?:)
    KJ?
    Please dont recommend people to play these hands, they`ll cost you alot of money in the long run. Limping into a limped pot with KJ suited is not the worst play in the world though. AJ shudent be played strongly in ep oop either

I looked at the history of flops in Full Tilt Poker and 45 hits the straight in an uncanny amount of hands 7 6 3 comes out on the flop alot and A 2 3 does too Only on Sunday I got beaten by a straight from a 45 it was 65432 I had two pair 2's and 3's maybe its just me:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Boilerbad wrote: »
    maybe its just me:cool:

This is the only thing I've read from you that actually makes any sense.

k j is a disgusting hand....AQ is not to be overated too...imo:cool:

😎

I'll post a 45 winning hand later

okay deposited 62dolllars/50e last nyt...and 2 tabled 5c/10c blinds...along time since i ws on these..only played about half hour and how have75..
    not much...but a steady start:)its boring as hell..but im thinking about how in d long run it garentees a bankroll for higher level...so how much are we saying we need to be rolled for each level?

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭fatguy

Jesus says, "Thou shalt have 20 buyins for thy level".

is that 20 max buyins?

im about to start another debate i think...:p

should i be buying in for max or min or somwhere in between?!?

i currently buy in for near min...=my think,if i buy in for max..its unlikely i will leave the table with 2or3times my money as chances are only one other person myt be capable of doubling me up..??whats other peoples views?

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

is that 20 max buyins?

im about to start another debate i think...:p

should i be buying in for max or min or somwhere in between?!?

i currently buy in for near min...=my think,if i buy in for max..its unlikely i will leave the table with 2or3times my money as chances are only one other person myt be capable of doubling me up..??whats other peoples views?

min 20 buyin's for each level - i prefer 30 but meh
    buy in for the max -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

okay deposited 62dolllars/50e last nyt...and 2 tabled 5c/10c blinds...along time since i ws on these..only played about half hour and how have75..
    not much...but a steady start:)its boring as hell..but im thinking about how in d long run it garentees a bankroll for higher level...so how much are we saying we need to be rolled for each level?

Start at .01/.01 and .02/.05 with that amount tbh.

Fulltilt have micro stakes now afaik.

hah il lodge another 50 so..maybe 2 of them...1c blinds are not practical..lol

probably another tread...but do people think standards are better in live poker or online..it a very broad Q i know..but in general...

seem to make money in live poker an awful lot easier..think people are more willing to call with crap onlne..they dont av to sit across from someone and then get abuse for bad calls...ur looking at blinds of 1/2 online before the numbers of these fish drop dramtically in my experience.

😎

• Advertisement

More fish = More money. So if you think there's more fish online, it's easier to make money there.

Online generally is of a vastly superior standard to live poker though. Most 200pl games in Dublin play like 20nl online imo.

Advertisement