Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

32 year old female - 1st bike

• 23-02-2009 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭

any suggestions?? i have never ridden a motorbike before and have always wanted too...time to get started whats a good starter bike

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

If I may, a lot depends on your size/height.

My wife is not the tallest (5' 1"), and so works around that, another partner of a friend, is the opposite, and the world is her oyster, bike-wise.

Then, there's personal preference for the appearance of a machine - some like sports bikes, some cruisers etc etc. My SO has had, over time, a TT100 Triumph, a Triumph 3TA, a BMW F650, as well as a collection of Vespa's and Lambretta's.

So, I'd say, go to a big bike shop, just as you'd go shoe-shopping ( ;) ) - see what catches your eye, and try them all on !!

Fwiw, this was her most recent bike
    414054428_9YR5v-M.jpg

..but she's thinking of a Harley this year. Me ? I think she should get one of these:

SFV650K9_GLR_E19_D_.2.jpg

Finally, you'll need to put a budget on things, to keep it all a bit real. Do let us know what you decide, or ask questions - not half enough girls on bikes, tbh.....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭scully74

your license type will only allow you drive a 33bhp, a bandit 400cc,or a restricted 600cc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭omerin

buy something old and reliable, nothing over 125cc if you are starting off with the A1 licence. something cheap and cheerful that if you drop it it won't break your heart and if biking is not for you you will not take too much of a hit on it. get some lessons first and enjoy yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭anonymousjunkie

Don't bother with an A1 license, its a waste of time. Go for the A, otherwise when you want to drive anything over 125cc you'd need to reapply/resit for license/test.

Personally started off at 32 on a honda cbr 250, loved it, but it depends what kinda look/speed you want from a bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Get some lessons first to decide if biking is for you then go and take a look in some bike shops and see what you like. I'm 5'1 and have a Shadow 600 myself and love it - especially when all the 'experts' ask was cc is it and then :eek: when they hear its 600 not 250 (they all think 250 is huge..:rolleyes:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

A Virago 250 is a nice starter. It'll do about 75 mph, you can go on motorways, it's low which makes it easy to get your feet down and it has a bullet proof engine.
    2006-Yamaha-Virago250c.jpg
    Here's one for sale, but it's worth about €1000 less than the advertised price!
    http://www.bikebuyersguide.ie/Bikedetail.aspx?CBGID=911434&ID=2153492&NumPics=1&Make=Yamaha&Model=Virago%20XV%20250&frmFilter=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Quint wrote: »
    A Virago 250 is a nice starter. It'll do about 75 mph, you can go on motorways,

Technically it could go on a motorway, but not if the OP has a learners permit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

scully74 wrote: »
    your license type will only allow you drive a 33bhp, a bandit 400cc,or a restricted 600cc

think scully meant to say, '..such as a bandit 400cc, or a restr-' there

mind you I dont think a bandit 400 is under 33bhp... the bros 400 is spot on 33bhp maybe what he meant

definately worthwhile going as galwaytt says and trying on some bikes - try out their weight too, some may be intimidating starting out..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

KTRIC wrote: »
    Technically it could go on a motorway, but not if the OP has a learners permit.

Ah yeah, forgot about that!
    The virago 400 or 535 is another good one. Shaft drive, so no chain to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

of course the bike show is on this w/end, so that would be worth it for a walk-around, to see what's out there.

You could also talk to ins people, look at gear, find out about lessons & licence - all in the one place.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 jimmyc06

don't know if I can be of any help to you but I've a 2002 Honda Varadero for sale??
    http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=67011

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

shezzie wrote: »
    any suggestions?? i have never ridden a motorbike before and have always wanted too...time to get started whats a good starter bike

Your best bet is some lessons first. Get a feel for riding a bike. There are a number of great biking schools out there that can provide you with a bike.

When confident enough take a trip to Bikeworld as they are the only shop that allow test drives in Dublin AFAIK. (with the exception of Joe Duffy's BMW garage) Personally I wouldnt buy there tho as you can get better deals elsewhere depending on what you choose.

Advertisement