Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal vs Roma

• 23-02-2009 10:17pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭

Sad state of affairs when you're hoping that Abou Diaby will be in the starting eleven. This Arsenal side tend to raise their game for the CL nights and it'll have to be so tomorrow again otherwise it is going to be one seriously depressing and dull evening (unless Totti turns it on).

No Fabregas, Rosicky, Eduardo, Adebayor, Arshavin or Walcott. I'm hoping Arsenal will line up with either:

Nasri Diaby Denilson Vela
    Bendtner van Persie

or

Nasri Song Denilson Vela
    Diaby
    van Persie

The key being Diaby because he's the only 'central' midfielder we've got at the moment who I can see being able to bring the ball forward... the rest being masters of passing it sideways at best.

Roma aren't the best this season either to be fair but that isn't enough for me to form some optimism.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

I think this one will be a draw. 0-0.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

A nil-all draw? Nah, that'd never happen in an Arsenal game!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

:D

Is Eboue available? If so then I can see him playing definetly.

Almunia
    Sagna
    Toure
    Gallas----Clichy
    Eboue
    Song
    Denilson---Nasri
    Bendtner
    van Persie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

im worried roma will pick up an away goal which will make it difficult on the return trip. apparently walcott and eduardo could be back for that but still...knowing arsenal and goals this season it could be a struggle for them in both legs.

is totti fully fit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Kirnsy wrote: »
    im worried roma will pick up an away goal which will make it difficult on the return trip. apparently walcott and eduardo could be back for that but still...knowing arsenal and goals this season it could be a struggle for them in both legs.

is totti fully fit?

He's back with a vengeance. I fully expect the Giallorossi to at least give Arsenal a serious run for their money over the two legs perhaps even going through.

Forza Roma!

• Advertisement

any idea of the formation then?!

interested to see if the failure that was baptista start for them?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

What I'd like:

Nasri----Song----Denilson----Vela
    Diaby

RVP

What we'll get:

Eboue----Denilson----Song----Nasri
    RVP----Bendtner

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Arsenal to win 3-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Frisbee wrote: »
    What I'd like:

Nasri----Song----Denilson----Vela
    Diaby

RVP

What we'll get:

Eboue----Denilson----Song----Nasri
    RVP----Bendtner

Yeah sad but true. Would be great to see your team but vela may be considered too inexperienced for it.

Just hope we can at least keep a clean sheet, should at least be a slightly better match then some of the recent borefests. The team seems to play better against the bigger teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Arsenal to win 3-0.

someones day-dreaming:pac:

my wallet wants 2-0 Roma

but my head says 1-0 to Arsenal

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

draw written all over this one for me

Doni

Riise - juan/ loria - mexes - cicinho

pizarro
    de rossi
    perotta

totti
    taddei

vucinic

im just guessing so open to correction

afaik juan is struggling for fitness?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Kirnsy wrote: »

Doni

Riise - juan/ loria - mexes - cicinho

pizarro
    de rossi
    perotta

totti
    taddei

vucinic

im just guessing so open to correction

afaik juan is struggling for fitness?
    Is Aquilini (SP?) not fit then? and the beast not expected to start? or are they just possibilitys to fill the Pizarro or Taddei positions.

If Baptista starts he will score against us in some sort of cruel irony

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I haven't been watching them in Serie A at all this season, but they were doing absolutely atrociously before xmas, and now they have been playing excellently (apparently). Infact my mate was saying they have been playing the best and most attractive football in Italy for the past few weeks. And Serie A heads that can confirm this?

Is Aquilini (SP?) not fit then? and the beast not expected to start? or are they just possibilitys to fill the Pizarro or Taddei positions.

brighi is also another mid possible to start.

i think you are right though, baptista probably will start AFAIK vucinic isn't fit.

OK.

"Gunners" shades... on. :cool:

"The fact it's my birthday" shades... on. :cool:

I really really really hope for a win today, I don't expect one, just hope. Watching it in Fitzsimon's in Temple Bar (Dublin - before the culchies hop in :P) I watched every match in the CL the year we got to the Final there (except the final) I won't make the same mistake this time.

I'm beginning to think the only way I can see us in the CL next year is if we win the thing and damn the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

No Totti so I'd imagine Baptista will start. Bit of a wildcard to have on the pitch really.

I'd say that Arsenal will line up:

Eboue - Song - Denilson - Diaby - Nasri
    RVP

Bendtner and Vela will come on from the bench.

Would have preferred an open game but without Totti I'd say Roma might just try to replicate Sunderland's match from the weekend.

Absolutely no idea what the score will be but just for the sake of making a prediction I'd say Nasri and Bendtner to score in a 2-0.

gosplan wrote: »
    No Totti so I'd imagine Baptista will start. Bit of a wildcard to have on the pitch really.

Yeah I heard on the radio this morning Totti limped out of training yesterday with a groin problem.
    Is he definitely out?

Would have preferred an open game but without Totti I'd say Roma might just try to replicate Sunderland's match from the weekend.

Actually lol. Had to laugh at Wenger's childish outburst at Spragbia (or however you spell his fcuking name), especially considering in the first half I can remember Sunderland creating three absolutely beautiful passing moves that nearly ended up as a goal save for Almunia's excellent saves.

I'm now hoping Roma win, to think they'll park the bus in Rome against a teenaged Arsenal midfield is naivety of the highest order from arsenal fans. Pity the likes of Fabregas, Vucinic, and Totti are missing, quality players. Is Aquilani playing? If he is I can see Aquilani and De Rossi eating up Arsenal's midfield.

• Advertisement

eZe^ wrote: »
    I'm now hoping Roma win, to think they'll park the bus in Rome against a teenaged Arsenal midfield is naivety of the highest order from arsenal fans. Pity the likes of Fabregas, Vucinic, and Totti are missing, quality players.

It's at the Emirates.

Is Aquilani playing? If he is I can see Aquilani and De Rossi eating up Arsenal's midfield.

Agreed :(

Aquilani is injured. Between Taddei and Baptista for the last spot in the team behind Vucigol.

There are still question marks over Totti and I think thats where this tie will hinge. Totti plays - Roma to go through over the two legs.

It's at the Emirates.

Agreed :(

My bad! Forgot Porto finished first. In that case, Arsenal may turn it on at home if Roma are missing Vucinic, Aquilani and Totti!

My bad! Forgot Porto finished first. In that case, Arsenal may turn it on at home if Roma are missing Vucinic, Aquilani and Totti!

Vucinic and Totti are huge blows for Roma.
    However I'm most happy about Aquialini being out.
    Him and De Rossi in the middle would be too much for Song/Denilson/Diaby and Roma would dominate the midfield.

Having said it it will be a much poorer game without Totti, Vucinic, Aquialini, Fabregas, Walcott, Eduardo, Ade.

Vucinic and Totti are huge blows for Roma.
    However I'm most happy about Aquialini being out.
    Him and De Rossi in the middle would be too much for Song/Denilson/Diaby and Roma would dominate the midfield.

Having said it it will be a much poorer game without Totti, Vucinic, Aquialini, Fabregas, Walcott, Eduardo, Ade.

Aquilani hasn't had a really impressive season though to be honest. Pizzaro is a solid choice for the game at the Emirates, good box to box midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Personally, I'm quite worried about tonights game...our defence is looking quite solid, but I'm still a bit anxious about the dreaded away goal! Apart from that, with injuries, poor form and lack of goals I just don't see where the win is going to come from! All in all, I really wouldn't be too surprised if Roma knocked us out and that would probably have a knock on affect(effect?) to our already dismal league campaign!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The question is simple: Who is going to mark Totti? When you take Totti out of the game, Roma are easy peasy imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Roma look very good the last few weeks and as per usual they have been struggling with injuries yet spalletti finds a way for them to click. Spalletti said that Vucinic and aquilani will probbably play then If totti plays as well then i cannot see arsenal winning agaisnt them. Also roma at 7/2 to win the game is way to good a price to turn down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

PHB wrote: »
    The question is simple: Who is going to mark Totti? When you take Totti out of the game, Roma are easy peasy imo.

Nobody!
    Wenger wrote:
    “He will certainly be the most dangerous provider in the final third for them in this game. He is not the only player who can be dangerous but he can open the defence with any pass at any moment of the day if you give him the freedom.”

So, surely, a major task of the night will be to stop him enjoying that liberty. However, it is not Wenger’s way to employ a man-marker.

“Not really no,” agreed the manager. “But you know that Totti will be the anchor man of every single pass that comes out through the back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I haven't been watching them in Serie A at all this season, but they were doing absolutely atrociously before xmas, and now they have been playing excellently (apparently). Infact my mate was saying they have been playing the best and most attractive football in Italy for the past few weeks. And Serie A heads that can confirm this?

playing attractive football though against Arsenal could play right into their hands. it's primarily the compact game with little room to manouvre that's been their downfall so far this season.
    Yeah I heard on the radio this morning Totti limped out of training yesterday with a groin problem.
    Is he definitely out?

horsecrap imo. let's see the team sheet.
    PHB wrote: »

the ghost of emmanuel petit

horsecrap imo. let's see the team sheet.

Thats why I asked the question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

playing attractive football though against Arsenal could play right into their hands. it's primarily the compact game with little room to manouvre that's been their downfall so far this season.
    Well this was certainly the reason some people seemed fairly content to draw Roma as opposed to Panathanaikos, say.

I thought then that Roma could be more dangerous than some gave them credit for (someone had them at the top of their 'most-want-to-see-Arsenal-draw' list) but I've now decided that we're going to pull out one of our bare minimum Champions League night specials.

1-0 to Arsenal with Denilson and Gallas playing blinders that'll hopefully finally get noticed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Actually lol. Had to laugh at Wenger's childish outburst at Spragbia (or however you spell his fcuking name), especially considering in the first half I can remember Sunderland creating three absolutely beautiful passing moves that nearly ended up as a goal save for Almunia's excellent saves.

I'm now hoping Roma win, to think they'll park the bus in Rome against a teenaged Arsenal midfield is naivety of the highest order from arsenal fans. Pity the likes of Fabregas, Vucinic, and Totti are missing, quality players. Is Aquilani playing? If he is I can see Aquilani and De Rossi eating up Arsenal's midfield.

My bad, obviously they'll bring a depleted team to the Emirates and go all out for the away win. That's what people usually do in first leg away matches - throw caution to the wind - no?

it's usually good to check your facts before posting but important to check them before having a go. (Additionally premiership stats have Almunia down as making less than three saves at the weekend)

Now, my point - which I'll make again for you is that Roma might well try to replicate Sunderland's tactics from the weekend.

Why? They will have seen how relatively straightforward it is to keep this Arsenal team from scoring. They would also have seen the chances presented to Sunderland and figure that they could take one of them. So my guess is that they see that as the best chance for an away win.

As regards Wenger's comments on the weekend. I notice that teams no longer try to simply defend at Old Trafford because the inevitability of Man U scoring makes it a pointless tactic. Arsenal need to scare teams again.

Now, my point - which I'll make again for you is that Roma might well try to replicate Sunderland's tactics from the weekend.

Roma are not the type of team that sits back and park the bus on the goal line. They will play football tonight, the style of both of these teams will mean that this could be a beauty of a game to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

I notice that teams no longer try to simply defend at Old Trafford because the inevitability of Man U scoring makes it a pointless tactic. Arsenal need to scare teams again.
    Nicely put.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Diaby, Eboue, Bendtner start for Arsenal.

Totti and Baptista both play

Almunia
    Sagna
    Clichy
    Gallas
    Toure
    Eboue
    Nasri
    Diaby
    Denilson
    Bendtner
    RVP

:(

Not only does Totti start but Vucinic is on the bench...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Abou has to produce a big performance tonight.

Abou has to produce a big performance tonight.

Heres hoping

• Advertisement

Fcuking Pat Dolan....

Craig Burley better not be on commentary or i'll do my nut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

.Craig Burley better not be on commentary or i'll do my nut

really is the worst commentator i've ever heard...and i say this while listening to ray houghton start his commentary on the inter/utd game.

nuff said.

arsenal owe their fans a performance, and they owe them some hope for the rest of the season. i genuinely hope you get one over totti & co.

Commentator said RVP was captain.
    Fairly sure Toure led them out and is wearing the armband?

Bendtner you fcuking donkey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Super save from Almunia. Arsenal looking pretty good up to now, but need to be much more clinical in attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Great save Almunia!

Eboue having a good game.
    As are Nasri and Diaby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

how is Roma playing?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Get in !!! 1-0 RVP Pen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Well it took a soft peno, but we finally scored :D

• Advertisement