Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal vs Roma

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Arsenal 1 - 0

RVP peno

how Mexes didnt get his second yellow I dont know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Was that a fcuking nazi salute??? Van Persie is bonkers eh?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

so Arsenal 1-0 up Roma have to attack now and may leave gaps for a 2nd one at the other end

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Very good performance so far, particularly from the central midfield trio of Denilson, Diaby and Nasri.

Bendtner has been terrible though. His touch at vital moments has been terrible and he is giving Clichy zero cover at all - Roma have only looked dangerous attacking down their right. Get Vela on for Bendtner.

Get Vela on for Bendtner.

+7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Vela on for Bendtner definitely. Eboue, Nasri, Diaby and Denilson playing very well.

Great save by Almunia early on from Motta. Commentator on Setanta, says he didn't get near it, but yet there was a corner. Muppets.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I wonder how good Vela has to be / how bad Bendtner would have to be so that Vela would actually get to start a Prem game? ive thought he should be playing for a long time now and he has always looked good when brought on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

What the fook was the ref doing there. Toure better get that card rescinded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

WTF were Gallas and Toure up to at the start of the second half there?

• Advertisement

Yes it was silly by Arsenal but if I was Arsene I'd be looking to get that card rescinded.
    It's up to the referee to make sure there's 22 players on the pitch at the astart of the half and he didn't do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

For crying out loud Bendtner!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,129 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Bendtner looks like that player ya say at every Sunday league game that tries to do all these skills and moves but they never come off. How come he never gets injured?

Bendtner looks like that player ya say at every Sunday league game that tries to do all these skills and moves but they never come off. How come he never gets injured?

Because that would make us happy

I have to admit I've never been the biggest fan of Denilson but tonight I think he is having a great game.

I have to admit I've never been the biggest fan of Denilson but tonight I think he is having a great game.

Totti obviously thought so too :pac:

• Advertisement

I wouldve rather that fell to almunia than eboue. FFS. Vela on now.

Fcuk sake I say Eboue is having a decent game and he does that to me...

Vela on for Bendtner - thank god

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭patrickc

vela on now.. bye bye bednter.

feck sake so many misses.. eboue hello like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

I really hope not putting away some of these chances doesn't come back to haunt us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

How is this game 1-0. If only Eboue and Bendtner could finish. I can see Roma get a sneaky equaliser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Frisbee wrote: »
    Yes it was silly by Arsenal but if I was Arsene I'd be looking to get that card rescinded.
    It's up to the referee to make sure there's 22 players on the pitch at the astart of the half and he didn't do that.

I think its only up to the referee to make sure each team has no more than 11 on the pitch (and at least the minimum 7).
    If they choose to start with 9 its of no concern of the referee.
    Valid yellow card.

I think its only up to the referee to make sure each team has no more than 11 on the pitch (and at least the minimum 7).
    If they choose to start with 9 its of no concern of the referee.
    Valid yellow card.

Would common sense not dictate he hold off for a few moments to see what the hold up is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

In fairness to the referee it shouldn't be up to him to wait and see what is happening. He should have been informed before he blew the whistle.

Would common sense not dictate he hold off for a few moments to see what the hold up is?

It would, though I've known plenty of referees (at junior level) who take pride in starting the game at the appointed hour whilst players on the sidelines are desperately shoving on boots/shinpads/finishing cigarettes etc :) Maybe that ref felt similar.

Regardless of common sense, the ref followed the rules and running onto the pitch is a yellow card offence, so I'd be mildly surprised if its overturned.

Ramsey on for Eboue

Not quite sure thats a good one

Vucinic on aswell

uh oh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Only got home to see the last 5 minutes so I'm happy enough with 1-0. If you have Eboue and Bendtner in your team they're always going to miss chances.

Regardless of common sense, the ref followed the rulese,

Surely he should have shown consistency and shown Mexes his second yellow off for a tackle from behind that resulted in a peno?

Instead he showed his common sense and let Mexes stay on.
    Then does the opposite and books Toure.

Very disappointing 1-0 win, should have been at least 3-0.
    Not much to take to Rome, here's hoping we won't rue Bendtner's poor touch and Eboue's bad shooting

How typical of our season that Diaby would return from injury, play a stormer and then get injured again, leaving us back with Song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Very disappointing 1-0 win, should have been at least 3-0.
    Not much to take to Rome, here's hoping we won't rue Bendtner's poor touch and Eboue's bad shooting

Aye disappointing going by how the game went. But still we got the clean sheet and look at it this way, if we can get a goal there(with Eduardo back for Bendy and theo in for eboue), they'll need to score 3....oh and also they wont have de Rossi!
    How typical of our season that Diaby would return from injury, play a stormer and then get injured again, leaving us back with Song.

Yeah Diaby made a huge difference while he was on. Song really doesnt do anything when he gets the ball

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Bendtner gets worse and worse - gave the ball away a few times today and then that chance.:confused: He has no redeeming features except that he gets on the ball a lot - paradoxically that makes him a liability because he is so poor when he has it. Why can't he get injured lol?

Overall, the game was a missed opportunity to finish off the tie - we just can't score from open play at the minute. Once we realised we couldn't pass the ball into the net, we were resorting to long range shots towards the end which didn't pay off either - just need someone to play that final ball - to be fair Roma crowded us out in defence, so much for Wenger saying he preferred the Champions League because the other teams would attack more.:rolleyes: Even when they were 1-0 down Roma didn't try hard except for a 5/10 minute period in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Gutted. Not a true account of Roma shown at all out there. I'm hoping they will rectify things at the Olimpico but an away goal would have made it a lot easier to swallow.

:mad:

I would have thought you'd be relieved. Arsenal should have been out of sight by the end of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Will Rosicky be back for the second leg? I hope so, we can never have enough players who can shoot. Roma defended well and I see us nicking one, maybe two out there. Pleased with the result in the end. No away goal conceded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

I would have thought you'd be relieved. Arsenal should have been out of sight by the end of the game.

Granted it could have been a lot worse but Vucinic NEEDED to be out there from the start. We're a better team than that. Onwards and upwards as they say. Tonight will only give more fuel to the SkySports brigade and The Best League in the World tm.

Surely he should have shown consistency and shown Mexes his second yellow off for a tackle from behind that resulted in a peno?

Instead he showed his common sense and let Mexes stay on.
    Then does the opposite and books Toure.

The problem here is that for the Mexes tackle its up to the opinion of the referee whether to give a yellow card or not. There are guidelines he has to follow but he has a certain latitude, and despite what the commentators say there is nothing in the rules that a foul in the box has to be a yellow card.
    If its a clumsy challenge as opposed to a blatant hackdown then the ref can just award the penalty. You probably think he erred, I'd tend to agree with you, but he can use the 'in his opinion' clause.

But on the other hand he has no latitude for a player illegally running onto the pitch, this is quite simply a yellow card offence, end of.

Hopefully it won't matter in the end, ye should have enough to get through in Rome.

DenMan wrote: »
    Will Rosicky be back for the second leg?
    Nope, but Eduardo, Walcott and Adebayor could be.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Dirk_Diggler

How did De Rossi play?

• Advertisement

Extremely poorly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Dirk_Diggler

I only saw the yellow. What, was his passing bad? Just not involved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

The problem here is that for the Mexes tackle its up to the opinion of the referee whether to give a yellow card or not. There are guidelines he has to follow but he has a certain latitude, and despite what the commentators say there is nothing in the rules that a foul in the box has to be a yellow card.
    If its a clumsy challenge as opposed to a blatant hackdown then the ref can just award the penalty. You probably think he erred, I'd tend to agree with you, but he can use the 'in his opinion' clause.

But on the other hand he has no latitude for a player illegally running onto the pitch, this is quite simply a yellow card offence, end of.

Hopefully it won't matter in the end, ye should have enough to get through in Rome.

this is incorrect. the rules do say a red card must be shown for a foul that prevents a goal scoring opportunity. one need not be the last man or anything for this to apply, van Persie was in range to take a clear shot on goal, Mexes fouled him, that's a straight red.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/federation/81/42/36/lotg_en.pdf

page 38.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I only saw the yellow. What, was his passing bad? Just not involved?

Not really involved really, I only noticed him when he made that stupid tackle that got him suspended for the next leg! Nobody really stood out for them to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

He could do with a second leg..

this is incorrect. the rules do say a red card must be shown for a foul that prevents a goal scoring opportunity. one need not be the last man or anything for this to apply, van Persie was in range to take a clear shot on goal, Mexes fouled him, that's a straight red.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/federation/81/42/36/lotg_en.pdf

page 38.

Fairly black and white when you see it written down like that alright.
    However, when I did the refs course a few years ago we were always told to differentiate for card purposes between a) a clumsy but genuine attempt at a tackle b) a blatant foul where no attempt is made to play the ball, only to stop the player shooting.
    A penalty kick in both cases, but a redcard only in the latter case.

Clearly thats not in the rules as you've linked, but also clearly the intrepretation I was given is also the intrepretation that most referees worldwide seem to be using, probably with the blessing of Fifa.

• Advertisement

Fairly black and white when you see it written down like that alright.
    However, when I did the refs course a few years ago we were always told to differentiate for card purposes between a) a clumsy but genuine attempt at a tackle b) a blatant foul where no attempt is made to play the ball, only to stop the player shooting.
    A penalty kick in both cases, but a redcard only in the latter case.

Clearly thats not in the rules as you've linked, but also clearly the intrepretation I was given is also the intrepretation that most referees worldwide seem to be using, probably with the blessing of Fifa.

Either way, wasn't Mexes already on a yellow?

jasonorr wrote: »
    Either way, wasn't Mexes already on a yellow?

Yep, it should have been his second yellow.
    Tbh though we should have had about 3 goals regardless

Yep, it should have been his second yellow.
    Tbh though we should have had about 3 goals regardless

True, but when was the last time we were consistently clinical?

jasonorr wrote: »
    True, but when was the last time we were consistently clinical?

True, bout you don't need to be consistently clinical to finish the chances Bendtner and Eboue had, any sort of footballers should have been able to finish them.
    Then at the end where Vela pulled that ball back into the box and we didnt have a single player in the box, another chance wasted

True, bout you don't need to be consistently clinical to finish the chances Bendtner and Eboue had, any sort of footballers should have been able to finish them.
    Then at the end where Vela pulled that ball back into the box and we didnt have a single player in the box, another chance wasted

Bendtner drove me insane and I have no idea what Eboue was playing at, but we haven't scored anywhere near enough goals this season!

• Advertisement
Advertisement