Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connection Issue

Options
  • 23-02-2009 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭

Hi all.
    I can't seem to find any answers to this. My internet connection keeps dropping, yet all of the lights on the router remain on. My connection used to drop but my DSL light would go off, but this new development has me stumped. If i try to load a page it says network timeout. Can anyone offer a reason for this?
    if it helps i'm using a voyager modem with a netgear wireless router connected.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭paddyb125

How far away are you from the nearest exchange?

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Kannon

i'm not sure. how could i find that out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

paddyb125 wrote: »
    How far away are you from the nearest exchange?
    Kannon wrote: »
    i'm not sure. how could i find that out?

http://www.smarttelecom.ie/

^^^ Go there and throw your phone number into the line checker and it should tell you what exchange your line is connected to. Then try estimate how far you are from the exchange.

Of course the straight line distance from your gaf to the exchange won't be the same distance that your line travels but it might be an indicator.

A friend of mine had a similar problem (if I remember correctly) with a BT connection before I'll ask him about it and see if I can come up with anything useful.

thanks.
    i tried that smart telecom site though and it just told me smart isn't available in my area (i live in kilmacud in dublin 14 btw). I have imagine broadband...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

if you reset the router by turning off and on does your signal return? I had a similiar problem before with a netgear router and it turned out that it was dodgy. A replacement did the trick.

• Advertisement

not my router but if i turn my modem off and on it comes back, but it could drop again after a few minutes.

Advertisement