Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blog Setup?

• 23-02-2009 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭

Looking for assistance.

Looking to start a blog using wordpress. I'm trying to change to a custom theme and it's asking me to download stuff. Done it , but where do I go from there?

Sorry this is probably me being stupid?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Check out the themes folder, subfolder of wp-content. You should be able to extract it to there.

Dave OS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Actually, just had a quick look. Here's a link that should answer all your Q's...

Using_Themes#Adding_New_Themes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

If you get into any trouble after that tutorial, send me over a PM tommie :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

As above if you need any help ask away or PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Thanks lads,

I'm taking it that if you don't have your own hosting and use the Wordpress one, that you can only choose from the very limited number of themes available and not any custom themes. Right?:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

DarrenG wrote: »
    As above if you need any help ask away or PM me.
    Darren , as I've said previously (i think) , I really like your blog , just wondering what is the advantage of using Wordpress , over photoblog.com ?

p.s. not trying to hi-jack thread Tommie :)

You can "piggy back" Barry :pac:

You have your own eyeblinks.ie website. That's your own hosting. Why not just setup a blog there? Then you can choose any theme, addons etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,158 ✭✭✭dinneenp

What is the mininum I have to do to get a WordPress photo blog up and running.

do I have to download the files? And then what? Is there a abc/idiots guide to getting up and running?

Do I really need mySQL etc- can't everything just be hosted on a site- like my Flickr pics?

Cheers,
    Pa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Even though I have a Wordpress blog up and running and it is on my own host I honestly don't have a clue how it works. I read the readme file and do exactly as it says and keep my fingers crossed.

I'm even afraid to upgrade Wordpress. Did it once and it screwed up something and took awhile googling to fix it. I did eventually fix it but din't ask me how. I think this is a quite common experience for people of my vintage ;-) Some day I'd like to sit down and figure out the basics at least.

• Advertisement

dinneenp - Google is your friend :). Installation - Video tutorial.

I'm actually coding my blog at the moment and it can get a little bit troublesome when you get into the coding. When you start to move away from your local machine and up onto the hosting, the most important thing to remember is a FULL DATABASE BACKUP!!! Once you have that you can just kill wordpress without worrying about your last years posts. (I'd also recommend a backup of your wp-contents folder or at least your images folder)

Valentia, if you grab a database backup before you upgrade you should be fine. This automatic upgrade might be of interest too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Valentia wrote: »
    Even though I have a Wordpress blog up and running and it is on my own host I honestly don't have a clue how it works. I read the readme file and do exactly as it says and keep my fingers crossed.

I'm even afraid to upgrade Wordpress. Did it once and it screwed up something and took awhile googling to fix it. I did eventually fix it but din't ask me how. I think this is a quite common experience for people of my vintage ;-) Some day I'd like to sit down and figure out the basics at least.

Thats exactly why I use photoblog.com , it does it all for you , for free !
    I like things nice and easy - I'm no scientist :)

Ditto Barry.

Got it up and going( i.e live) in 10 minutes last night.

Not gone on the Theme (layout), saw one I liked and thats where the fun starts.

T.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

thebaz wrote: »
    Darren , as I've said previously (i think) , I really like your blog , just wondering what is the advantage of using Wordpress , over photoblog.com ?

p.s. not trying to hi-jack thread Tommie :)

When I started my blog I went with wordpress for ease of use. I didn't know much about anything else and it was a popular choice. After some initial hiccups I'm pretty familiar with the wordpress setup. I didn't know about photoblog.com until I became familiar with your site Barry.

I can usually do a new install with a new database in minutes rather than hours when I started. I can also help with migrations from one host to another without any downtime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Wordpress will look fairly daunting at first but it will definitely be worth the extra effort in the end. The level of customisation achievable with Wordpress is endless.

kjt wrote: »
    Valentia, if you grab a database backup before you upgrade you should be fine. This automatic upgrade might be of interest too :)

Thanks Kyle. I'll sit down some night and chance it.

Yabba dabba doo. Just did the automatic update Kyle and everything is fine. Thanks a mil :)

Happy to help Danny :)

Advertisement