Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Force One-Flying The President

• 23-02-2009 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭

Anybody been watching this on National Geographic? Brand new show featuring new inside footage and indepth info and unrivalled access and interviews showing President Obama onboard etc.

Top Programme!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

Saw it last week. I always thought no matter what aircraft the US president flew in was call signed 'Air Force 1'. Seems not. His helicopter is 'Marine 1'.

I wonder do the 2 747's have a Cockpit Voice Recorder and Data Recorders?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

It depends on what branch of military service the aircraft is attached to. The 747s or E-4B to give them their military designations is operated by the Air Force.

Marine 1 belongs to the USMC. When the president goes on board an aircraft carrier that aircraft will then be Navy 1 as happened when Bush went on one declaring an end to the war in Iraq. It was an S-3 that was designed to fight subs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭li@mo

For any of you with this feature.....it's on Sky Anytime for another few days.

I'm halfway through it.

Its fairly interesting alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Yeah, I watched it last week on National Geographic, its excellent.

One thing though, the top secret mission to Iraq. He arrives at the airport in a normal enough car and normal clothes to not draw attention. Hops on Air Force One. They change planes at another airport and continue on to Iraq. So much security, even landing the backup 'somewhere' else. Spotted over the UK by another pilot (pretending they were a beechcraft/lear was it? when it was clearly air force one).

Now I know the plane has some serious defence systems in place, but why not just borrow a UPS or FEDEX plane? Land under cover of darkness and there would have been far less of a threat?

Having said that though, very impressive aircraft. Loved the bit about 9/11 when they were the only plane in the sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I think air force 2 was for vice president and rest of cabinet /administration use.I have some audio footage of senior members of JFK's cabinet on board air force 2 , who apparently were airbourne, in between a flight from Honolulu to Japan when news of the of the assassination came through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

It depends on what branch of military service the aircraft is attached to. The 747s or E-4B to give them their military designations is operated by the Air Force.

Marine 1 belongs to the USMC. When the president goes on board an aircraft carrier that aircraft will then be Navy 1 as happened when Bush went on one declaring an end to the war in Iraq. It was an S-3 that was designed to fight subs.

And if he was to take an American Airlines flight to Dublin it would use the call sign "Executive One".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭lynchie

Nat Geo also done another documentary on Marine one too which was quite good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

latchyco wrote: »
    I think air force 2 was for vice president and rest of cabinet /administration use.I have some audio footage of senior members of JFK's cabinet on board air force 2 , who apparently were airbourne, in between a flight from Honolulu to Japan when news of the of the assassination came through.

President and vice president never travel together AFAIK.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Watched them on Youtube, enjoyable and interesting. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phBxwFSaIF0 Air Force One

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5avBBVG52fc Marine One

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

I think the should upgrade AF1 to an A380 and kit it out fully. Now that would be am impressive machine. 747's are so last century like meh!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

mumhaabu wrote: »
    I think the should upgrade AF1 to an A380 and kit it out fully. Now that would be am impressive machine. 747's are so last century like meh!

An A380 is one of the Options being considered to replace the current AF1 747's, also the New Marine 1's will be AW Merlin Helicopters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Not my picture, this is the new Marine 1 in the UK undergoing trials:

MarineOne.jpg

Advertisement