Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

central heating

Options
  • 23-02-2009 11:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi All,
    I am renovating an old house and want to put in some central heating. At the moment there are just a couple of old storage heaters and an oil fired aga for water. The house in question is a 1600 sq ft terraced bungalow.
    I would ideally like something that is efficient but without costing the earth. All tips, advise and ideas welcome.
    thanks. L

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Depends on location. If you are close to a gas mains then thats probably the best option especially if you go for a condensing boiler. The oil fired aga is probably not very efficient and in any case is unlikely to have a high enough output to heat radiators.

Given you already have a oil tank etc, maybe an oil fired condensing boiler would be a good option. The budget should include reasonable controls, as a minimum, separate zones for living and sleeping areas, each controlled by a programmable room thermostat, and a thermostat with zone valve on the hot water cylinder. The boiler controls should be interlocked with the zone controls so that it only fires when there is a heating demand. TRVs are excellent in rooms that do not have a room thermostat.

If it's an older house, chances are the insulation is not very good, so ensure that the attic gets well insulated - 6 to 8 inches would be good. Maybe consider dry lining the external walls and installing double glazed windows to reduce heat loss. No matter what type of central heating is installed, it will cost much less to run in a well insulated house. The house will be far more comfortable too.

If you want really efficient heating consider a geothermal system. The installation costs may be higher initially but running costs are very low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 LaLyn

Hiya Pete67,
    thanks a mil for the very informative reply. the original house is over 100 yrs old, but there's also an extension. Yes the whole house is very poorly insulated but I'll be looking at that too. Have sent email to SEI about the new Home Energy Saving grants but they're not available just yet. Will definitely look into the condensing boilers with the room controls. I've already checked into the aga and they are not suitable for heating rads... but are seemingly good for water.
    thanks again, L

Advertisement