Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oscars

Options
  • 23-02-2009 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭

I don't know much about musicals (although I do love them) but I thought the tribute at the Oscars was pretty good. I do have a weak spot for Hugh Jackman though.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 JoJoW

I missed the Oscars, so thanks for posting that as I love musicals! I watched bits and pieces over my mobile broadband and saw Kate Winslet's speech..good for her!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Aw wow that's amazing. I hope the oscars are repeated somewhere now, it's a shame the better quality one was removed from youtube!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dramabob

I sat up all night watching them live streaming on the internets (yes, it is possible - I ain't paying for SKY MOvies), and they were great. The repeat on SKY 1 was pants tho - Fearne Cotton desperately needs to be replaced. Remember when Jonathan Woss used to do them for the BBC? Ah, good times...

On the new format for presenting the acting awards, I'm not a big fan. It's a bit too standing-ovation-mutual-apprectiation-society for my liking. AND too time consuming. I timed the Best Actress presentation on the live show - it took over 12 minutes to give out a single award! Sheesh!

That said, Hugh Jackman was brilliant, both in the opening number and the tribute to the musicals. A true performer! I'm happy with who won what too, though the biggest surprise was probably
    Sean Penn

winning
    Best Actor

I think the whole world had assumed it would be
    Mickey Rourke

But you live and learn. Who woulda thought that Julia Robert's performance in Erin Brockovich was better that Ellen Burstyn's in Requiem for a Dream?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 paul_allen

I though it was good, but it didn't make any sense to have the ones from high school musical and mamma mia wearing the same clothes as the background dancers. I didn't even realise it was them until about 15 seconds into it.
    But hugh was good, except for the fact that he proclaimed to the world that he was wolverine while singing, might not go down to well with die hard xmen fans who prefer their wolverines non gay

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

And they really shouldn't let Vanessa Hudgens near anything at all that involves singing. She is just so nasal and awful and doesn't pronounce any of the letters at the end of words.

Awful stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Myhairspray

What an interesting thread! Well done you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

i thought it was amazing.
    ive seen the videos of hugh jackman in oklahoma and hes great
    id love to see him in a musical

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

I'm not a huge fan of Beyonce but I actually think she did a great job in this. I agree with fonpokno though, less Vanessa Hudgens please. Keep her out of musicals. :D

Certainly a step up from this rather od piece of OScar musical showmanship. Given the history of Lowe's sexual exploits it gives proceedings a decidedly creepy mood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Certainly a step up from this rather od piece of OScar musical showmanship. Given the history of Lowe's sexual exploits it gives proceedings a decidedly creepy mood.
    LOL, I just watched this, sweet goodness, it's awful! The singing, the idea, *shudder* Disappointed hollywood! lol

Thank god for Hugh Jackman eh? *drool* lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

(I'm on a Hugh Jackman kick ;) )

Next ones not great quality

Advertisement